Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

Object Collision Bugs Driving Me Nuts

Anyone with any ideas why Microsoft's cockamania piece of flight simulation software like most of their other products is so full of bugs? Just installed a scenery for Khasab AB(OOKB) in Oman,from Avsim's own library.It comes with its own installer,so should be pretty simple to merge with FS9's scenery.That's the theory.Have done the usual scenery install procedure.However,in reality,on Rwy 1 ready for T/O,I immediately get a CTD because of FS9 throwing up an Object Collision when in fact there is nothing on the runway.I have had the same issue with the Inchon airport scenery,when at a heavy gate,I get an Object Collision.This is driving me nuts! RICK

Hi Rick,Why blame Microsoft for a buggy addon that they had nothing to do with?To fix this building crash move a file named - khsl2.bgl out of the active scenery folder.I don't know what this file adds to the scenery, except the building crash.Tests with and without this file, which took about 20 minutes to complete, looked the same to me.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Hi Rick,Why blame Microsoft for a buggy addon that they had nothing to do with?To fix this building crash move a file named - khsl2.bgl out of the active scenery folder.I don't know what this file adds to the scenery, except the building crash.Tests with and without this file, which took about 20 minutes to complete, looked the same to me.regards,Joe
Thank you Joe for responding.Comment re:MSFS noted.Therefore,please guide me on how to locate the khsl2.bgl out of the active scenery folder coz I have looked in the Scenery folder within the root FS9 directory and could not locate the said bgl.This scenery which was downloaded a couple of days ago from the Avsim Library is an ex-air force base in Oman that is now used by civilian traffic,and is ideal for short flights into/out of OMDB.It was unzipped directly into the Add-on Scenery folder within FS9.If the generic FS9 bgl for OOKB is causing the Object Collision crash,then hopefully,I can also likewise eliminate the heavy gate crash caused when I install the Winged City RKSI scenery add-on,which is why I blamed MSFS for not being able to accept add-on sceneries.As you seem to have more expertise than me on this matter,perhaps you can guide me to eliminate the offending bgls.RegardsRICK

Thank you Joe for responding.Comment re:MSFS noted.Therefore,please guide me on how to locate the khsl2.bgl out of the active scenery folder coz I have looked in the Scenery folder within the root FS9 directory and could not locate the said bgl.This scenery which was downloaded a couple of days ago from the Avsim Library is an ex-air force base in Oman that is now used by civilian traffic,and is ideal for short flights into/out of OMDB.It was unzipped directly into the Add-on Scenery folder within FS9.If the generic FS9 bgl for OOKB is causing the Object Collision crash,then hopefully,I can also likewise eliminate the heavy gate crash caused when I install the Winged City RKSI scenery add-on,which is why I blamed MSFS for not being able to accept add-on sceneries.As you seem to have more expertise than me on this matter,perhaps you can guide me to eliminate the offending bgls.RegardsRICK
JOE - I hope you do not mind me jumping in here to assist Rick, but I was not sure when you might see his message.RICK - Look in your Addon scenery folder for a sub-folder named Khasabv2. Under it will be a subfolder named scenery. The file in question which Joe recommends removing is in that scenery sub folder.Finding an offending bgl (if that is indeed what is the root cause of problems) is normally a matter of trial and error. I usually just start disabling them one at a time by changing the extension for BGL to something like XBGL. Then I test the scenery. If the problem is bgl rooted, sooner or later the culprit will be identified.Hope that helps. Again, apologies Joe for butting in.

JOE - I hope you do not mind me jumping in here to assist Rick, but I was not sure when you might see his message.RICK - Look in your Addon scenery folder for a sub-folder named Khasabv2. Under it will be a subfolder named scenery. The file in question which Joe recommends removing is in that scenery sub folder.Finding an offending bgl (if that is indeed what is the root cause of problems) is normally a matter of trial and error. I usually just start disabling them one at a time by changing the extension for BGL to something like XBGL. Then I test the scenery. If the problem is bgl rooted, sooner or later the culprit will be identified.Hope that helps. Again, apologies Joe for butting in.
DAVID---You are a godsend to lots of Flight Sim strugglers.I have read praises of your help elsewhere,and likewise,thank you too for your input.So that I can clarify what exactly is my issue once and for all,I do know where to put my Add-on Sceneries within the FS9 Root Directory;I also know that within that Folder are two more sub-folders,scenery and texture;I also know that some *.bgl files go into that sub-folder( scenery);I am also aware that when I see an Object Collision that causes a CTD,such caused by a 'heavy' gate at RKSI just because I installed an Add-on scenery for RKSI that is a thousand times better than MSFS's below-3rd-rate generic scenery for RKSI,then I immediately know that it is MSFS's generic RKSI that is causing the problem.It is that errant *.bgl which I need assistance to track down and eliminate.I once downloaded an Add-on scenery for my former Air Force base,EGVN,but soon found out that some of the taxi-ways did not align correctly.I soon discovered that because I had the UK Scenery2000,an errant EGVN.bgl file there was the culprit.Deleted it,and,voila,my EGVN add-on scenery which was far more truer to the actual Air Force base---and after all,we all seek a bit of realism in our simming----worked perfectly.This is what I'm after with regards to the addon-on sceneries,i.e.OOKB and RKSI,causing me the CTDs caused by MSFS's Object Collison.Hope I have made my issue far more clearer.And thanks for any advice.RICK

Rick -Just an observation.........Many of us simply turn off the "collision" option in the Settings menu to avoid such problems.Understand that I am not a scenery creator but have been told that some (if not all) scenery object creation programs have an option to include an "invisible crash envelope" (for lack of a better term) around the object. This envelope apparently can be added or left off when the object is compiled. Some designers apparently forget to turn that inclusion off - I have no idea what use it really is - and thus we, the end users, sometimes experience annoying "crashes" when we reach that invisible crash barrier.At least that is how I understand it and why I always keep the collision option turned off.

Why not use Windows Explorer's Search function to locate the file?Open Windows Explorer, click on your FS9 folder in the left-side "folder tree," then type khsl2.bgl into the search box...If the file exists, it will take about 3 seconds to find it... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

...such caused by a 'heavy' gate at RKSI just because I installed an Add-on scenery for RKSI that is a thousand times better than MSFS's below-3rd-rate generic scenery for RKSI,then I immediately know that it is MSFS's generic RKSI that is causing the problem
Contrary to what you apparently believe, the default MS scenery doesn't "show through" when you install an add on scenery, not anything that would cause a building crash anyway. Typically included in the add on will be exclude .bgls that prevent the default scenery from loading when the sim starts. If you're experiencing a building crash at an add on airport, it is almost without question the add on airport that is to blame. It's probably one of those dumb rwy12 3D gate/ramp marking objects. They'll get you every time if you fly with crashes on.Jim

Rick, After testing RKSI I cannot pinpoint what file is causing the object crash. It appears to be an interaction between several of the addon files, and beyond my abilities and knowledge to identify.Have you had any luck with OOKB?David, Bill, and Jim, thanks for pitching in..."it takes a village".regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Thanks for all your inputs,guys.Once more proves that this Forum is without equal when it comes to assistance,tips,suggestions et al.I'm going to give all your suggestions a try when I can fit Flight Simming in between watching the spectacle from Vancouver,being an avid sports fan too.David,Bill,and Jim.Did you try The Winged City Inchon(RKSI) add-on scenery,and try parking a PMDG 747 at a heavy gate,and then as you just touch the joystick experience an Object Collision? Coz that is what I had.Regards to one and all.RICK

Thanks for all your inputs,guys.Once more proves that this Forum is without equal when it comes to assistance,tips,suggestions et al.I'm going to give all your suggestions a try when I can fit Flight Simming in between watching the spectacle from Vancouver,being an avid sports fan too.David,Bill,and Jim.Did you try The Winged City Inchon(RKSI) add-on scenery,and try parking a PMDG 747 at a heavy gate,and then as you just touch the joystick experience an Object Collision? Coz that is what I had.Regards to one and all.RICK
I don't own the PMDG aircraft but was able to duplicate the "crash" using a default heavy - with crash detection turned on. It worked just fine with CD turned off however.

Why not use Windows Explorer's Search function to locate the file?Open Windows Explorer, click on your FS9 folder in the left-side "folder tree," then type khsl2.bgl into the search box...If the file exists, it will take about 3 seconds to find it... :(
One of the finest applications I have on my system to search for a file and which includes a list of all files on the system is "Search Everything" ( http://www.voidtools.com ) , it's small and fast and a dream to use. File indexing speeds up the Windows search function but it is not advisable to be used on a gaming system ( www.BlackViper.com ), without the indexing the search function is sloooooow.Rgds,Hugo

Thanks David+Hugo.Much as I accept that I can turn off CD in FS9,surely isn't that somewhat taking away from the realism?However,I did a bit more digging into this and have discovered that I totally failed in the one thing I should have done---RFM----coz in there,the developer has stated he has replicated the gates as they are in use in real-life at RKSI.In other words,certain types of aircraft are allocated certain gates and piers.So,now to park my heavy PMDG 747,I need to follow those gate allocations.But that has not solved the problem with the OOKB scenery.That still remains,but with Hugo's tip,I'm sure I'll find the offending bgl.Thanks once more,to all who have contributed to this thread. RICK

One of the finest applications I have on my system to search for a file and which includes a list of all files on the system is "Search Everything" ( http://www.voidtools.com ) , it's small and fast and a dream to use. File indexing speeds up the Windows search function but it is not advisable to be used on a gaming system ( www.BlackViper.com ), without the indexing the search function is sloooooow.Rgds,Hugo
Thanks for the tip on that neat little program.I, and many others turn off "indexing" when using the computer to play games such as FS - Simple and quick to do using a utility such as GameBooster.

Just an update on that OOKB scenery.The developer has acknowledged that it has a problem which he was not aware of,and is trying to get out a fix for it.So,hopefully,that will take care of the OCD issues.Thanks for all the inputs from all.RICK