Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

How do I stop slewing violently to the left or right?

Guest cliffie1931

When trying to take off the aircraft turns off the runway as soon as power is applied.I've tried altering the "Center" sliders but that doesn't help.Guidance would be appreciated.Cliffie

When trying to take off the aircraft turns off the runway as soon as power is applied.I've tried altering the "Center" sliders but that doesn't help.Guidance would be appreciated.Cliffie
You have to use the rudder! Assign the twist axis of your joystick (or rudder pedals if you have them) to the "yaw" function in the "joystick & equipment settings".Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

This is a complaint heard very often with X-Plane, most of the cases can be attributed to the following reasons:1.) Torque and propeller slipstream-effects 1.) Wrongly calibrated hardware (i.e. one wheelbrake "dragging")2.) A stiff crosswind pushing on your vertical stabilizerHope this helps your troubleshooting,Jan

Guest cliffie1931
You have to use the rudder! Assign the twist axis of your joystick (or rudder pedals if you have them) to the "yaw" function in the "joystick & equipment settings".Marco
Thanks for trying Marco but I'm a retired pilot and know a bit about the rudder................Cliffie

Guest cliffie1931
This is a complaint heard very often with X-Plane, most of the cases can be attributed to the following reasons:1.) Torque and propeller slipstream-effects 1.) Wrongly calibrated hardware (i.e. one wheelbrake "dragging")2.) A stiff crosswind pushing on your vertical stabilizerHope this helps your troubleshooting,Jan
Food for thought.1.Torque and propeller slipstream effects.If this is the cause how do I deal with it Jan?2.Wrongly calibrated hardware. I suspect this to be the cause but the swing takes place despite calibration of the joystick. I don't think it's one wheelbrake dragging as sometime when I'm able to leave the ground the swing is still strongly to the right. 3.Crosswind.The weather is set for no wind.Regards.................Cliffie

Food for thought.1.Torque and propeller slipstream effects.If this is the cause how do I deal with it Jan?2.Wrongly calibrated hardware. I suspect this to be the cause but the swing takes place despite calibration of the joystick. I don't think it's one wheelbrake dragging as sometime when I'm able to leave the ground the swing is still strongly to the right. 3.Crosswind.The weather is set for no wind.Regards.................Cliffie
Hi Cliffie,1.) This is normal and realistic behaviour, and should easily be countered with proper application of (usually some right) rudder.2.) The easiest way to find out is to output the data for wheelbrakes on screen. Click on tab "Settings" then choose "Data Input+Output". Under line number 14 "gear/brakes) hit the rightmost checkbox. This will display the "brake application" data on your screen. If you find one to be applied (more than 0), you might have one axis of one controller set to "wheelbrakes", and this axis must be either calibrated properly (if intentionel, i.e. rudder pedals with toe brakes), or assigned to a different function.If the slew is still a problem when in the air, then I suspect a problem with controller setup (you can also output data to verify that).3.) Just to make sure you can output data in line 5 (atmosphere: weather) on screen, to make sure that no wind is set (for example by "realistic" weather).Hope this helps, Jan

1.) This is normal and realistic behaviour, and should easily be countered with proper application of (usually some right) rudder.
He said that the plane is still pulling to the "right", after takeoff. In that case something else is wrong. The majority of aircraft operating in this world have props that turn clockwise from the cockpit view. These planes will begin a drift to the left on the takeoff roll, as well as initial climb. And this is where you would be applying right rudder............to offset the left drift.Of course, if his prop is swinging the other way, then it's left rudder to compensate for right drift. A friend of mine owns a super size Pitt's aerobatic aircraft with a large Russian radial & three blade composite prop. It rotates the opposite of my Lycoming, and requires a lot of left rudder on the takeoff roll.I'd look at the outside view, and make sure that the rudder and ailerons are in neutral positions before takeoff. Since I always use rudder pedals, I don't remember if X-Plane has any "auto rudder" settings that combine aileron & rudder like MSFS does to compensate for not having pedals or twist grips. Personally, I don't like twist grips.I wonder what his jets do? Theses should stay pretty much on the centerline without rudder input. At least this would be an indication of wind, control settings, or something else.L.Adamson

Guest cliffie1931
Hi Cliffie,1.) This is normal and realistic behaviour, and should easily be countered with proper application of (usually some right) rudder.2.) The easiest way to find out is to output the data for wheelbrakes on screen. Click on tab "Settings" then choose "Data Input+Output". Under line number 14 "gear/brakes) hit the rightmost checkbox. This will display the "brake application" data on your screen. If you find one to be applied (more than 0), you might have one axis of one controller set to "wheelbrakes", and this axis must be either calibrated properly (if intentionel, i.e. rudder pedals with toe brakes), or assigned to a different function.If the slew is still a problem when in the air, then I suspect a problem with controller setup (you can also output data to verify that).3.) Just to make sure you can output data in line 5 (atmosphere: weather) on screen, to make sure that no wind is set (for example by "realistic" weather).Hope this helps, Jan
1 Rudder application makes little difference. I'm an private pilot so have an idea of what's normal.2. Gear shows 1.00 and on the second line 0/1 wbrak shows 1.000 and "part" on the second line lbrak shows 0.000 and "part" on the second line. rbrak shows 0.000 and "part" on the second lineHow do I correct the reading of 1.00 for wbrak?How do I follow your suggestion that "this axis must be either calibrated properly" ?3. You note that "I suspect a problem with controller setup (you can also output data to verify that)."To check the controller setup I selected "Other flight controls". The readings are all at zero4. I've checked the wind and it's at zero. 5. I tried the 747 which took off normally although it tended to drift right. And when I take my hands off the controls it rolls to the right.Where to now Jan?Regards.....................Cliff

Guest cliffie1931
He said that the plane is still pulling to the "right", after takeoff. In that case something else is wrong. The majority of aircraft operating in this world have props that turn clockwise from the cockpit view. These planes will begin a drift to the left on the takeoff roll, as well as initial climb. And this is where you would be applying right rudder............to offset the left drift.Of course, if his prop is swinging the other way, then it's left rudder to compensate for right drift. A friend of mine owns a super size Pitt's aerobatic aircraft with a large Russian radial & three blade composite prop. It rotates the opposite of my Lycoming, and requires a lot of left rudder on the takeoff roll.I'd look at the outside view, and make sure that the rudder and ailerons are in neutral positions before takeoff. Since I always use rudder pedals, I don't remember if X-Plane has any "auto rudder" settings that combine aileron & rudder like MSFS does to compensate for not having pedals or twist grips. Personally, I don't like twist grips.I wonder what his jets do? Theses should stay pretty much on the centerline without rudder input. At least this would be an indication of wind, control settings, or something else.L.Adamson
Thanks for also trying to help.1. The outside view show everything is as it should be. All the control surfaces are straight.2. I tried the Boeing 747 which on take off acted almost normally until in the air. Then it wanted to roll to the right. (Nothing like the superb PMDG 747-400)3. I no longer use pedals but agree with you that they're much better than the twist facility on the joystick. I may well get a new set to replace my tried and trusty broken ones.Regards..................Cliff

Guest Setanta

This does look like a calibration problem on first view but you never know. To see if it is is simple enough:1: Disconnect your controller from your computer.2: Fire up X-Plane3: Load up the stock C172SP4: Hit the 'B' or 'V' key to release the brakes (Also what causes the wbrak reading to be 1 - The emergency brake is on)5: Hold down <F2> until you get to full throttle and watch what happens.6: Repeat steps 3 to 5 only with the stock 747What should happen is that in zero wind the C172 should head off to the left and the 747 should head dead straight down the runway. If this is not the case then there's a problem in X-Plane somewhere. The standard solution which works more often than not is to delete the preferences.If it works as described without the controller attached then almost certainly it's a controller problem. You can see the position of your controller by outputting the 'Joystick ail/elv/rud' to the screen rather than the 'other flight controls'. These values should range between -1.0 and 1.0 at maximum deflections and should be zero when you're 'hands off'. They show the values as read by X-Plane from your controller so it should make no difference what aircraft you are flying or what the weather conditions are.If the values you are getting are different, particularly when 'hands off' then you need to recalibrate the controller.1: Head to Settings > Joystick, Keys & Equipment and the 'Axis' tab.2: Click on 'Calibrate Joystick Hardware'3: Move each axis of your controller through its full travel (and make sure that each axis is assigned to the right control).If you're still getting wrong values under 'joystick ail/elv/rud' at full travel and more particularly 'hands off' then the two most likely suspects are noisy pots in your controller or bad controller software. You can compensate for noisy pots under the Settings > Joystick, Keys & Equipment and the 'Center' tab by raising the nullzone. Bad controller software is a different matter though in many cases disconnecting/reconnecting the controller can sort this out (it works with my Saitek yoke).Setanta

Guest cliffie1931
This does look like a calibration problem on first view but you never know. To see if it is is simple enough:1: Disconnect your controller from your computer.2: Fire up X-Plane3: Load up the stock C172SP4: Hit the 'B' or 'V' key to release the brakes (Also what causes the wbrak reading to be 1 - The emergency brake is on)5: Hold down <F2> until you get to full throttle and watch what happens.6: Repeat steps 3 to 5 only with the stock 747What should happen is that in zero wind the C172 should head off to the left and the 747 should head dead straight down the runway. If this is not the case then there's a problem in X-Plane somewhere. The standard solution which works more often than not is to delete the preferences.If it works as described without the controller attached then almost certainly it's a controller problem. You can see the position of your controller by outputting the 'Joystick ail/elv/rud' to the screen rather than the 'other flight controls'. These values should range between -1.0 and 1.0 at maximum deflections and should be zero when you're 'hands off'. They show the values as read by X-Plane from your controller so it should make no difference what aircraft you are flying or what the weather conditions are.If the values you are getting are different, particularly when 'hands off' then you need to recalibrate the controller.1: Head to Settings > Joystick, Keys & Equipment and the 'Axis' tab.2: Click on 'Calibrate Joystick Hardware'3: Move each axis of your controller through its full travel (and make sure that each axis is assigned to the right control).If you're still getting wrong values under 'joystick ail/elv/rud' at full travel and more particularly 'hands off' then the two most likely suspects are noisy pots in your controller or bad controller software. You can compensate for noisy pots under the Settings > Joystick, Keys & Equipment and the 'Center' tab by raising the nullzone. Bad controller software is a different matter though in many cases disconnecting/reconnecting the controller can sort this out (it works with my Saitek yoke).Setanta
You're a brick Setanta. As are all the others that have pitched in to help.I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem lies with my Saitek Cyborg Evo stick as I've followed your scenario and with the stick disconnected the C172SP tends to veer off to the left in a normal manner and the 747 keeps to the straight and narrow as it should.When I calibrated after reconnecting the stick the readings sent to the screen were:Elev 0.685ailen - 1.000ruddr 0.000On launching the 747 it became unrealistically unstable despite a hefty nullzone setting. And the C172SP pivotted to the right around it's base. Up till now I've been flying FSX and am currently trying the master the complexities of the PMDG 747-400. Joystick control has been no problem.If you were me would you consider buying a new stick? Or do you think I can still maybe lick my problem with X-Plane?Regards................Cliff

it's base. Up till now I've been flying FSX and am currently trying the master the complexities of the PMDG 747-400. Joystick control has been no problem.If you were me would you consider buying a new stick? Or do you think I can still maybe lick my problem with X-Plane?
I'm a pilot too. I'd probably just stick to FS9/FSX, rather than getting a new stick, as I'm a true believer in some of the third party flight models that are available. Some of the defaults such as the FSX Cessna 172 work quite well too. I have yet to find an advantage with X-Plane models. However, my Saitek X-52 works just fine for both sims.L.Adamson

You're a brick Setanta. As are all the others that have pitched in to help.I'm coming to the conclusion that the problem lies with my Saitek Cyborg Evo stick as I've followed your scenario and with the stick disconnected the C172SP tends to veer off to the left in a normal manner and the 747 keeps to the straight and narrow as it should.When I calibrated after reconnecting the stick the readings sent to the screen were:Elev 0.685ailen - 1.000ruddr 0.000On launching the 747 it became unrealistically unstable despite a hefty nullzone setting. And the C172SP pivotted to the right around it's base. Up till now I've been flying FSX and am currently trying the master the complexities of the PMDG 747-400. Joystick control has been no problem.If you were me would you consider buying a new stick? Or do you think I can still maybe lick my problem with X-Plane?Regards................Cliff
Hi Cliff,opposed to FSX the X-Plane Software will not automatically "tune" your controllers to the right axes. It sounds like you have not gone to the appropriate screen and assigned your joysticks axis to the appropriate function. You need to find the tab where you can select those, then move your joystick (for example left-right), then assign the corresponding line (the one that moves) to "aileron", for example. Then move stick back-aft, and assign the corresponding line to "elevator"...Oh, and don

Guest Setanta
When I calibrated after reconnecting the stick the readings sent to the screen were:Elev 0.685ailen - 1.000ruddr 0.000
Hmmm, if the stick is working ok in FSX/FS9 it's unlikely to be necessary to get a new stick, though from those readings X-Plane is obviously getting the wrong figures from it. My best guess would be something in the driver software is causing problems assuming you have the axes set up within X-Plane ok. Sadly I'm so far out of touch with PCs these days I can't help you out on that one :(Setanta

Guest cliffie1931
Hi Cliff,opposed to FSX the X-Plane Software will not automatically "tune" your controllers to the right axes. It sounds like you have not gone to the appropriate screen and assigned your joysticks axis to the appropriate function. You need to find the tab where you can select those, then move your joystick (for example left-right), then assign the corresponding line (the one that moves) to "aileron", for example. Then move stick back-aft, and assign the corresponding line to "elevator"...Oh, and don