Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

How do I stop slewing violently to the left or right?

Unfortunately that's not the problem Jan as I've assigned the axes and calibrated on numerous occasions, each time hoping that recalibrating would do the trick.But thanks for the sugestion.Regards,Cliff
Hi Cliff,I guess we have narrowed down the problem to X-Plane "thinking" that your controller is putting in some severe deflection, when it clearly isn

Guest cliffie1931
Hi Cliff,I guess we have narrowed down the problem to X-Plane "thinking" that your controller is putting in some severe deflection, when it clearly isn

3. I found what I assume to be the path we need but before taking action I wanted to first check with you.It's Users/Cliff/Desktop/X-Plane 9/Output/ PreferencesUnder Preferences there are seven files as follows: "Calibration" : "Directory" : "Keys X-Plane" : "Screen Resolution": "Server Message" "X-Plane": "X-Plane Binary" When double clicking on "Calibration" a message appears reading "This will install the selected pics Rules file into the content advisor feature of Internet Explorer"Can you please confirm that I erase that Preferences folder with all it's seven files?Regards,Cliff
The path is right. DO NOT erase the folder itself ("preferences"), but just erase the content of the folder, i.e. the seven files contained in the folder.This way, you should have all settings reset to default the next time you launch X-Plane.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest cliffie1931
The path is right. DO NOT erase the folder itself ("preferences"), but just erase the content of the folder, i.e. the seven files contained in the folder.This way, you should have all settings reset to default the next time you launch X-Plane.Marco
Bingo! My thanks to you both. It's still way too sensitive to the stick despite changing the Center tabs to 45% for both Sensitivity and Stability. But I'll keep experimenting.Again guys...........thank you for hanging in with me to this point.With my regards................Cliff

Bingo! My thanks to you both. It's still way too sensitive to the stick despite changing the Center tabs to 45% for both Sensitivity and Stability. But I'll keep experimenting.Again guys...........thank you for hanging in with me to this point.With my regards................Cliff
Hi Cliff, I was away working, sorry for the late response. Seems like you got that problem settled, good thing! As far as the sensitivity goes -> X-Plane will allow you to tweak the linearity and the "stability". Linearity will go from fully linear to very exponential. At the former, a 30% deflection of the stick will also deflect the corresponding control surface 30%. At fully exponential, the response from the flight control is adjusted, so it will move very little for the first part, and then the response grows rapidly over the latter part of the travel. However, a full deflection will ALWAYS deflect the control surface 100%.The "stability" slider will introduce some "artificial stability", the corresponding axis of the airplane will tend to "stay where it is". While this is unrealistic for most aircraft (unless they have some artificial stability augmentation), it might make the aircraft "feel" more realistic, since it offsets the sensational awareness you get from the "seat of your pants" in the real aircraft...If you feel that an aircraft is just generally too responsive (i.e. rolls way too fast at full aileron deflection) you will have to tweak the model in "plane maker", for example limiting the maximum degrees of control surface deflection (fairly straightforward) or adjusting the moment-of-inertia (some experimenting involved) to adjust the rate of roll onset, for example.Good luck, Jan

Guest cliffie1931
Hi Cliff, I was away working, sorry for the late response. Seems like you got that problem settled, good thing! As far as the sensitivity goes -> X-Plane will allow you to tweak the linearity and the "stability". Linearity will go from fully linear to very exponential. At the former, a 30% deflection of the stick will also deflect the corresponding control surface 30%. At fully exponential, the response from the flight control is adjusted, so it will move very little for the first part, and then the response grows rapidly over the latter part of the travel. However, a full deflection will ALWAYS deflect the control surface 100%.The "stability" slider will introduce some "artificial stability", the corresponding axis of the airplane will tend to "stay where it is". While this is unrealistic for most aircraft (unless they have some artificial stability augmentation), it might make the aircraft "feel" more realistic, since it offsets the sensational awareness you get from the "seat of your pants" in the real aircraft...If you feel that an aircraft is just generally too responsive (i.e. rolls way too fast at full aileron deflection) you will have to tweak the model in "plane maker", for example limiting the maximum degrees of control surface deflection (fairly straightforward) or adjusting the moment-of-inertia (some experimenting involved) to adjust the rate of roll onset, for example.Good luck, Jan
Jan, I'm delighted that you've given me another option to hopefully solve the problem. Thank you so much. I'd almost given up as the changes made so far haven't really worked and X-Plane remains unflyable for me.In Plane Maker it wasn't clear which settings I should try to alter. Would you please tell me which ones are relevant and the "path" to reach them?Regards................Cliff

Guest Setanta

A couple of quickies...First thing I would check is something I've noticed recently with my yoke. While displaying the joystick ail/elv/rud watch the values as you move your joystick. You should reach

Guest cliffie1931
A couple of quickies...First thing I would check is something I've noticed recently with my yoke. While displaying the joystick ail/elv/rud watch the values as you move your joystick. You should reach

Now, in return may I suggest that you consider something that has given me many hours of learning, pleasure and a feeling of accomplishment?Go to the PMDG site at http://www.precisionmanuals.com/ . Get their Boeing 747 for FSX and give yourself the challenge of learning how to fly and navigate this bird. It's nothing short of amazing.
Excellent suggestion. Afterall, a lot of team effort & time goes into these simulated aircraft. These aren't punched out in a month or two. Personally, I'm not a team player, but sometimes an outstanding piece of work requires it... :( L.Adamson

I think it shows incredibly bad taste to push PMDG and FSX in an X Plane forum.Could we please refrain from doing so. If you cannot help the OP with his problem, there's no need to say something to the contrary.Have a nice day.Greg

Guest cliffie1931
I think it shows incredibly bad taste to push PMDG and FSX in an X Plane forum.Could we please refrain from doing so. If you cannot help the OP with his problem, there's no need to say something to the contrary.Have a nice day.Greg
I'm sorry that you feel that way Greg but, on reflection, I understand your comment.My apologies. The suggestion was motivated soley by trying to be helpful.Cliff

My response was not directed to you, Cliff. I'm a bit of a lurker in the flight sim forums that are out there and I see some people continue to bash x plane.For what it's worth, your problem is not an isolated case. I have seen many Saitek users report the same problem.Please try to use something more recent in the way of freeware aircraft to test your controls. The 747 is a very old model, as is the C172. From what I recall, they were made for Version 4 of x plane. Try the Cirrus Jet or the Piper Malibu by Jason Chandler for some joystick testing. Also, remove the Saitek drivers (temporarily) and see if Windows picks up your hardware and installs the drivers for it.I have a Logitech stick and I had a large amount of problems with calibration after I installed the software for it. I got rid of the software and all was back to normal after the windows drivers were used.If you need more assistance, feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help out.Greg

Guest cliffie1931
My response was not directed to you, Cliff. I'm a bit of a lurker in the flight sim forums that are out there and I see some people continue to bash x plane.For what it's worth, your problem is not an isolated case. I have seen many Saitek users report the same problem.Please try to use something more recent in the way of freeware aircraft to test your controls. The 747 is a very old model, as is the C172. From what I recall, they were made for Version 4 of x plane. Try the Cirrus Jet or the Piper Malibu by Jason Chandler for some joystick testing. Also, remove the Saitek drivers (temporarily) and see if Windows picks up your hardware and installs the drivers for it.I have a Logitech stick and I had a large amount of problems with calibration after I installed the software for it. I got rid of the software and all was back to normal after the windows drivers were used.If you need more assistance, feel free to PM me and I will be glad to help out.Greg
Your advice to check the software sounds sensible. I'm not yet sufficiently computer literate but when my Guru next visits I'll ask him to show me how to do it.Thank you for your response and for your offer of future assistance. All's well that end's well!With my regards.....................Cliff

My response was not directed to you, Cliff. I'm a bit of a lurker in the flight sim forums that are out there and I see some people continue to bash x plane.
I confess....I'm no lurker, and have a tendency to bash X-Plane. After 15 or more years, it's hard to stop. :( But I only get annoyed when X-Plane is hyped as some superior sim, or when MSFS is labled as a game in comparison to X-Plane being a true "flyer's" sim. For the record, I do own X-Plane 8 & 9 as well as payware & freeware models, and have used the demos since the beginning. I suppose AVSIM & Flightsim com. are my only outlets since the "org." is famous for bashing MSFS & the moderators are quick to eliminate most anything that doesn't agree. In other words, X-Plane does not have truer flight dynamics across the board. I'm surprised by how many "converts" seem to express this over and over. Most have never flown a real plane. Flight dynamics covering all aircraft, can't be generalized. X-Plane is not "how an airplane fly's" while MSFS is a "scenery viewer". In reality, these terms can apply to either sim. Just depends on who programmed what, and how much talent and research they put into it.Good............ I feel better already! :( L.Adamson

You seem to be a person suffering from Simmers Insecurity Syndrome. Are you that protective of FSX and how it performs???Are you not hyping FSX to be a superior sim?And how many products have you actually reviewed?And yes, I had a look at your other posts where you keep mentioning your ownership of a single engine aircraft. Hardly worth bragging about. Most PPL holders would have as many hours in a larger aircraft as you do without owning an aircraft.Capt. Alan Carter doesn't own a 747-400 but he sure knows how to fly one.Let me ask you this. Would you ever go into a Ferrari dealership with a banner saying "Lambourghini cars are better than Ferrari cars!" and start babbling about the pro's of Lambourghini to a bunch of prospective Ferrari buyers right in the middle of the showroom floor?Even better, go to South Central LA with a KKK outfit on. Stop preaching about FSX in x plane forums. No one cares. People want to try x plane and they are educated enough to make an informed decision based on independent reviews from professional reviewers. Not FSX a really excited user.Of course X Plane users think X Plane is better. They prefer X Plane. It's simple maths.By all means, feel free to promote FSX, PMDG, Wilco, whatever takes your fancy. But do it in a forum where that kind of promotion is welcome. Don't do it in a dedicated x plane forum.The OP had questions about control calibration. I'm still baffled how it came around to PMDG and the 747.Funny how you get sick of people saying x plane is a fliers sim and FSX is eye candy. Did it ever occur to you to possibly ignore these people if you love FSX so much.In the wise words of John McLane..."If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Quit being part of the f****** problem."Have a nice day.Greg