Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

First thoughts: ASUS P6X58D Premium / i7-920

Wow, wow and only wow.This is by far the best board I have ever owned.Starting from the quality of the board itself, it feels more solid than any other I had, and concerning performance:I recently did a comparison to my old computer, all comparisons with the same situation file:FS9:Situation 2: no clouds, Flytampa Vienna, view over it8800GT (oldsys): 67FPSGTX285 (oldsys): 73FPSNew sys (with GTX285) @ stock speeds: 68fpsNew sys @ 4.2GHz: 90fpsFSX results to follow in couple of days.OK, upgrade went without a glitch, except I have to run a stock Intel aircooler until my watercooler arrives - argh. The one I got from Swiftech was unfortunately broken.Anyway, booted up, set XMP in BIOS and voila, system booted without a single problem.Now, what was the most interesting part of the whole exchange, was I booted my previous W7 installation as it was, it took no more than 5min (incl. reboot) to have it up and running, like nothing else happened. I then did a chipset driver update (wasn't necessary), USB3 drivers installation, BIOS update, and tried an OC: left the XMP set, set the BCLK to 200, lowered the RAM back up 1600, saved... and voila, PC booted without a glitch into Windows (taken with a little high temps due to crappy cooler, which isn't even propersly installed with the thermal paste but only the Intel default stripes).What was so bluffing for me, was the OC - I have never ever seen a board in which you basically set the BCLK (FSB) and the board does the rest. I didn't even have to set the vCore. It shows 1.416 in CPUZ. More testing when cooled properly.Anyway, idling now with 4.2Ghz with 65c, I don't dare to run Orthos, but FS9 pushed it up to 85c, which is enough testing for me.Going to lower it now, till my watercooler arrives.Only thing little questionable for me is that the memory voltage is either 1.64 or 1.66. And my Corsair is specified 1.65. The board sets 1.66 when I change to XMP, and I guess that's OK.From my point of view, this is THE board for anyone building an i7 system now (who also wants to push things to the limit).

Guest FlyingBits

Congratulations Word Not Allowed!Glad you like the board, there are a few BIOS updates. I have the latest BIOS and found no issues.Disable that 9123 controller and you won't have the delayed Boot screen, unless of course you put a SAT 6Gs on there. Yeah, that stock cooler will fry the I7 at those voltages, so just be patient until your cooler arrives.I have had to take a little hiatus from perfecting my overclock but some basic numbers that I am using at the moment for you:Vcore of 1.328vQPI

I'm using the SATA 6GB for my windows drive and my Raptor. I know there isn't really a point, since the bandwidth is not used, but hey... if it's there, use it I say ;-) I don't care much about those couple of seconds, the BIOS is faster than it was on P6Q.Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out when I get the chance.Say, what about this QPI Link Data Rate? Do you set it to auto or manual?And Load Line Calibration? I noticed there is a voltage change on load, when all set to auto. vdroop as I think it's called. I used to prevent it on my old board, even did a pencil-mod.You can calmly hit me with more settings ;-)

Quick feedback, as I installed my waterblock.OCed to 4.2 (BCLK 200, 21x, 1600 DRAM)vCore 1,35 (in BIOS), loadline calibration activatedDRAM 1,64 (rated up to 1,65)Idle: 46cPrime95 on 8 cores: 78c (didn't run long)I guess that's an OK result - running a bit on a hot side when all 8 cores (4+HT), but Orthos (1st+HT) "only" 70c.Tj. Max says 100, so I guess I'm OK.What's a max. safe temperature for the 920? I always ran CPUs up to 80c, never had a problem...

Realistically you can run in the 80's, and in fact all the way up to 100 on an i7 9xx but I wouldn't recommend it. 80 is about the max. I'd be comfortable with.

Guest SK8TRBOI747

Great setup!Have you tried to manually set tRFC to 74? Everything else exactly the same - just tRFC to 74. I know I'm being reeaallly picky, but that will actually get you a frame or two!Oh, and you should be ok in the low 80's...though I have noticed a few hiccups if it gets higher than, say 83C, for more than a few minutes, flying FSX. Stay under 85C and you can confidently run all day (Disclaimer: lower is better for longevity, of course).Happy flying - Cheers! Oh - I've got an i7-920 D0 Stepping and run memory at 3200/800, too. And 1.66 for mem is fine. Watch that Vcore, though, your figure is a bit "strong", but then again, you are running it nice and speedy!

If your CPU temp gets into the 80's running FSX you have cooling issues. 80 degree temps should only be observed in stress testing applications.

I know Max, 80c have been with the Prime95 on all 4 cores incl. HT Threads in Max. Stress, running for about 15min. A long test still not done, my 1TB Seagate is unfortunately broken, have to return it today, machine now again taken apart.I want to have it OC stable in stress testing incl. temperature, so I know it's rock stable in any other application AND time of year.Will keep you posted how all works out. Still have to OC the GPU, or at least thinking of it - depends how many FPS it brings. CPU pays off definitely.

Guest FlyingBits
I know Max, 80c have been with the Prime95 on all 4 cores incl. HT Threads in Max. Stress, running for about 15min. A long test still not done, my 1TB Seagate is unfortunately broken, have to return it today, machine now again taken apart.I want to have it OC stable in stress testing incl. temperature, so I know it's rock stable in any other application AND time of year.Will keep you posted how all works out. Still have to OC the GPU, or at least thinking of it - depends how many FPS it brings. CPU pays off definitely.
Sorry to hear of your HD troubles Word Not Allowed.You should be able to lower that Vcore doen to 1.28-1.32 or so with just 3 sticks running thru it.How many volts on your QPI?I'll put some info together for you in the next day or so.

Sorry to hear of your HD troubles Word Not Allowed.You should be able to lower that Vcore doen to 1.28-1.32 or so with just 3 sticks running thru it.How many volts on your QPI?I'll put some info together for you in the next day or so.
Well, still not really done, but I set the vCore to 1.325 I think and DRAM to 1.56 and got a blue screen while Prime95 testing (I yet don't know if it was caused by too low memory V or too low vCore). I didn't get much further on voltage testing (except that I went back to vCore 1.35, QPI 1.35 and DRAM 1.64) due to HDD problem...

Guest djt01
From my point of view, this is THE board for anyone building an i7 system now (who also wants to push things to the limit).
Naah, the new Rampage III Extreme looks like the one to get as far

Guest FlyingBits
Naah, the new Rampage III Extreme looks like the one to get as far

Guest UlfB

Word Not Allowed,Thanks for your feedback on that board. It's nice that feeling of satistfacton when you've assembled the parts and boot up the very first time. The ease to setup up BIOS on new mobos from Asus. Installing a good OS and it's a true Plug 'n Play. Good vibrations :(

Guest djt01
But at $400+ its $100 more than the P6X58D and it doesnt offer much more if it is an FSX and system rig you want (quad SLI wont help you).
Actually if you want the truth what does the P6X58D or the Rampage III Extreme offer for FSX over the current high end ASUS X58 motherboards, nothing.First off ASUS is offering the USB 3.0 and the 6Gps SATA interface with a $29.00 PCI-e card, so anyone can add that.Secondly the current 6Gps SATA is via a Marvell controller and is really no more than an intermediate solution until we see native SATA III support maybe with a future X58 chipset/ICH revision. As far as overclocking goes neither the Rampage III Extreme nor the P6X58D are going to overclock an i7 any better than we