Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

First thoughts: ASUS P6X58D Premium / i7-920

As far as overclocking goes neither the Rampage III Extreme nor the P6X58D are going to overclock an i7 any better than we’ve already seen with the P6TD Deluxe, P6T Deluxe V2 or the Rampage II Extreme.
djt01, why do I always get some strange feeling with your replies, like you want to prove that new is bad? That these boards don't OC better, it's probably true, they are all based on the X58. It's though a fact, that I read on most forums, when you OC, you have to set this and that, try this settings etc. It's the first board I have ever owned that did such a simple overclock without any hassle.I started this thread to basically show couple of things:- that it's my personal opinion that this board, for its price, offers real good price-performance ratio (it's also the first board that natively supported Gulftown as it came out, all others came out later with BIOS updates)- that is has some real neat features (incl. those future options like USB-3 and SATA-6Gb)- and that for someone who wants a really good performance, without having to be Master-Of-Overclocking-Arts, it is pretty much a perfect board

Guest djt01
djt01, why do I always get some strange feeling with your replies, like you want to prove that new is bad? That these boards don't OC better, it's probably true, they are all based on the X58. It's though a fact, that I read on most forums, when you OC, you have to set this and that, try this settings etc. It's the first board I have ever owned that did such a simple overclock without any hassle.
I could care less whether you can good results out of a cheap CPU or not, I had a choice to spend extra and I prefer the overclocking ease that comes with a CPU with an unlocked multiplier. Just like you mentioned no hassle, just bump the multiplier up and it

Guest FlyingBits
Actually if you want the truth what does the P6X58D or the Rampage III Extreme offer for FSX over the current high end ASUS X58 motherboards, nothing.First off ASUS is offering the USB 3.0 and the 6Gps SATA interface with a $29.00 PCI-e card, so anyone can add that.Secondly the current 6Gps SATA is via a Marvell controller and is really no more than an intermediate solution until we see native SATA III support maybe with a future X58 chipset/ICH revision. As far as overclocking goes neither the Rampage III Extreme nor the P6X58D are going to overclock an i7 any better than we

DId I mention the P6X58D has shiney blue heatsinks? :(
Oh did I mention I love those blue heatsinks? Just now that I got rid of my Superflower PSU with the blue light... I have a nice window, but right now, no light in the case. I think I might again get some UV lights - I hate to have it on when watching movies, but from time to time to show off oh yeah :(Oh btw. Paul - in the newest CPUZ, it doesn't show the C1E throttling - it always shows multi x21 and 4200, but Core Temp shows the throttling correctly.Throttling is very important for me, power saving. Also works good with FS.

Guest FlyingBits
Oh did I mention I love those blue heatsinks? Just now that I got rid of my Superflower PSU with the blue light... I have a nice window, but right now, no light in the case. I think I might again get some UV lights - I hate to have it on when watching movies, but from time to time to show off oh yeah :(Oh btw. Paul - in the newest CPUZ, it doesn't show the C1E throttling - it always shows multi x21 and 4200, but Core Temp shows the throttling correctly.Throttling is very important for me, power saving. Also works good with FS.
I have no window! :(

I have no window! :(
I think I should have one UV light somewhere in the cellar along with some other older things...hmmmmm, this gives me ideas :(

Guest djt01
Total BS!1. This has the latest Blue heatsink as well as the blue slots and matching connectors.2. Blue allows better cooling while being looked at. What color was the Blue flame Jet car? Right!
LOL, chit and to think I don

OMG, I don't freakinly believe it:I just did a little cleaning work on my watercooler - took it completely apart, took apart the vents, vacuum-cleaned them and also the radiator, which was totally covered with dust.My temps an hour ago, were around 80c. Now: 65c.This is a little freaky :( Stable for half an hour now, Prime95/8threads, 1,35v (anything lower and I get blue screen) @ 4.2.I am happy.

Guest FlyingBits
From what I read maxing out all the dim slots isn

Guest djt01
You want it to run tite and cool? how is 12 GB 7-7-7-20 -1600 at just 1.56volts? It can run any of those settings all dims full
So you did have to loosen up the timings to run all 12GB

Guest SK8TRBOI747

There were some issues with some brands of mobos in early X58's regarding filling all slots. I've never had any such issues with my little, microATX DFI LanPartyJr X58 - all 6 occupied at 3200 with 8-8-8-24 at 1.65 volts.No reason to go under 1.65 v on the ram as that's what they are designed for (any new triple channel DDR3) - heck, a couple short years ago we were alll running 2.5v(!) for ram - now those were, um, "warm" :( On X58, though, quality DDR3 Triple Channel at 1.65-1.66 is cool even under Prime95.Now the Vcore is a whole different story! Best to be reeeaaalll careful there, backing off was a good move.Cheers!SK8TRBOI747i7-920, 3.3Ghz (stock Intel heatsink/fan), DFI LanPartyJr X58 microATX in an old HP Pavilion case (missing the bezel), 6 GB of Corsair Dominator (6 sticks) at 3200/800, WD caviar Black 1TB, Samsung DVD Burner, single BFG GTX250 O/C 1GB (need to buy that second one - SLI, here I come!), Corsair THX 650 PSU, running Vista64 Ultimate, FSX, D3D10 'on', PMDG 747-400, 747-8, MD-11, Jetstream4100, Level-D 767-300ER.

Guest FlyingBits
There were some issues with some brands of mobos in early X58's regarding filling all slots. I've never had any such issues with my little, microATX DFI LanPartyJr X58 - all 6 occupied at 3200 with 8-8-8-24 at 1.65 volts.No reason to go under 1.65 v on the ram as that's what they are designed for (any new triple channel DDR3) - heck, a couple short years ago we were alll running 2.5v(!) for ram - now those were, um, "warm" :( On X58, though, quality DDR3 Triple Channel at 1.65-1.66 is cool even under Prime95.Now the Vcore is a whole different story! Best to be reeeaaalll careful there, backing off was a good move.Cheers!SK8TRBOI747i7-920, 3.3Ghz (stock Intel heatsink/fan), DFI LanPartyJr X58 microATX in an old HP Pavilion case (missing the bezel), 6 GB of Corsair Dominator (6 sticks) at 3200/800, WD caviar Black 1TB, Samsung DVD Burner, single BFG GTX250 O/C 1GB (need to buy that second one - SLI, here I come!), Corsair THX 650 PSU, running Vista64 Ultimate, FSX, D3D10 'on', PMDG 747-400, 747-8, MD-11, Jetstream4100, Level-D 767-300ER.
Hi,The "issues" are not that the boards cant handle all 6 dims full, the issue is filling all dims while trying to overclock as all dims full puts an extreme load on the memory controller which also compounds associated CPU systems, thus holding back the Overclock ability.The discusion is about running extremes, you do not want to run volatges at 1.65 when you dont have to, do you? As we raise dram V we also now need to bring up the QPI/VTT voltage (L3 cache and memory controller is powered not by Vcore, but by VTT?QPI) to keep it with in balance (within .35v-.5v) of dramv and you are just introducing heat that lowers your overclocking potential and shortening life spans.All Ram has the ability to run at lower voltages depending on timmings and frequency as well as power delivery, usually most mid to high-end contain spd options of lower voltages with the associated timmings. :(The XMP profile for the ram I am using is 8-8-8-24 @ a frequency of 2000 at 1.65V, it also has been programed to contain SPD headers with options to run with some other basic configurations that will run on the majority of boards for 1866 and 1600 all at >1.5v. Do you see the patern here? Trying to O/C with all dim full, select better quality ram that will run fast and tite at lower voltages and this keeps the IMC from frying up. Voltage is regulated as needed to stablize things so your job is to find the sweet spot.This rig is running at a very high overcock AND decently speedy and quick ram setting with ALL Dims full, something that Lanpartyjr will never touch, nor many other X58 boards for that matter - again while overcloking.So yes, there is a reason to go under 1.65v and as ram gets better you will see it even more. :(

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Hi,The "issues" are not that the boards cant handle all 6 dims full, the issue is filling all dims while trying to overclock as all dims full puts an extreme load on the memory controller which also compounds associated CPU systems, thus holding back the Overclock ability.The discusion is about running extremes, you do not want to run volatges at 1.65 when you dont have to, do you? As we raise dram V we also now need to bring up the QPI/VTT voltage (L3 cache and memory controller is powered not by Vcore, but by VTT?QPI) to keep it with in balance (within .35v-.5v) of dramv and you are just introducing heat that lowers your overclocking potential and shortening life spans.
Gee, thanks for the...um "lesson"(?) :( I must be in an alternate universe here..."keeping VTT/QPI 'in balance' with dram voltage"?..."within .35-.5 of dram v"? Huh? And WHAT heat at 1.65v?? There isn't any anymore! There's more bandwidth being available within the X58 memory architecture unused for ridiculously tight timings to make ANY real-world difference in an app (particularly FSX or any sim which, I presume, this Avsim-deal is all about).Must be me - I'd better turn in the ol' EE/Comp M.Eng degree and going flight simming full-time! Word Not Allowed, you've got a great bit of kit - have fun with it - FSX will absolutely scream. I'd personally (IMHO and all that) steer clear of the "blue smoke and bulls*^t" of keeping QPI and dram "in balance."I'm off to the planet earth in my PMDG 747! SK8TRBOI747 - Out. :(

Guest djt01
There's more bandwidth being available within the X58 memory architecture unused for ridiculously tight timings to make ANY real-world difference in an app (particularly FSX or any sim which, I presume, this Avsim-deal is all about).
I

Guest Shockwave
I must be in an alternate universe here..."keeping VTT/QPI 'in balance' with dram voltage"?..."within .35-.5 of dram v"? Huh? And WHAT heat at 1.65v?? There isn't any anymore! Must be me - I'd better turn in the ol' EE/Comp M.Eng degree and going flight simming full-time!
Yeah it must be you.Dozen 1.5V DDR3 6Gb kits for P55 & X58 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....2&name=1.5VQPI Differential is common knowledge, and should be part of any serious I7 over-clocking attempt or else you can cook the IMC and say goodbye to ur CPU.As far as that degree, we would all agree with you that you should turn it in because you got ripped off.