Sign in to follow this  

FS2004 Windows XP install problem

Guest Pardue802

This gives me some hope. I'll have to give this combination a shot when I get home this afternoon. There's got to be some kind of common thread that we all have that's causing this to happen to us, this select few, systems? It would be nice if we could figure it out (assuming we all get our sims up and running) for the Microsoft boys scouting the forums. This may give them something to consider in a future patch (if any be developed).Kenneth

Still no joy here. Tried knocking back the graphics acceleration and sound, still no luck.Going to try the detonator 44.67 drivers to see if they give any joy.

For what it's worth, I had this issue many times with FS2002. It turned out to be a disk space problem. Defragmenting did not help, physical space available did. For FS2002, with only 128 MB RAM on board, over 2 GB free space was needed for swapping/paging.May not be the same issue under FS2004, but the symptoms are definitely the same.

Not a disk issue for me, I have plenty of free space on the install drive and system drive.I'm leaning towards a disc copy protection issue myself...Still no luck so far. Nice one MS! lots of testing you did there...

Guest Pardue802

Same here, got 33 GB free on my hard drive.Kenneth

Guest Pardue802

No luck here either. Tried adjusting all of the settings, no change. Ran an error check on my hard drive, still no change. Tried the WHQLed 44.67 drivers, plus some new 45.20 beta drivers. No luck with either. I even updated to the latest Intel Application Accelerator drivers (2.3), still no change.I'm rapidly running out of options and patience. Every other game on my system, both graphics intensive and no, run fine with no problems. It would pick the thing I've been waiting five months for to do this to.Has anyone else gotten their problems fixed?Kenneth

Guest Speed

>Same here. Has anyone got any idea what this is...?>>Norm, are you getting an error like this, check in your events>list.>>>Description:>The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be>found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry>information or message DLL files to display messages from a>remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag>to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for>details. The following information is part of the event: 3.>>... where the final number is either 3, 6 or 7>I get the exact same 3 errors (3,6 & 7) upon launching fs2004, i get a splash screen which goes away and then just the desktop.I have tried current drivers, old drivers and beta drivers with no luck. MS phone support ran out of ideas and told me to wait until the next detonator drivers are released.It looks like a copy protection issue to me too as it just refuses to run without looking like it's even trying.Speed.

Guest Pardue802

Actually, just checked the event viewer. I'm getting the identical message, jumping from 7 to 6 to 3:The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: 7.I don't know if anyone can make any headway from here. This is already over my head.Kenneth

I had same problem.I solved it by installing Directx9.0b and latest drivers for video card.(FS2004 Tin Box, Win98SE, Duron800 MHz, 256 MB, ASUS V7100, > 20 GB disk space available)

Guest Speed

9b didn't fix the issue for me but thanks for the suggestion.Speed

I have a similiar problem. I think it is linked to LANs. Anyone with this problem have a LAN? Anyone with the problem NOT on a LAN? Now I won't ask about copies of other software on the other PCs. But does this ring any bells?

Guest Speed

I am running a domain controlled 2000 network with 3 servers and 3 workstations. My FS puter is XP.ZoneAlarm (the times it was on) didnt ever say that FS was trying to access the LAN.Speed

Still no luck. Tried everything.Luckily, for me at least, I'm upgrading my system at the weekend so it'll be new CPU, motherboard, memory and fresh install of XP.If that doesn't solve it then MS can give me my money back and I'll stick with FS2002.

Guest Pardue802

:: PROBLEM SOLVED ::Hello all, I was just suggested this solution to the problem and it turns out that it worked. Check your setups to see if this may be a similar situation with you. Have any of you moved the default location of your My Documents folder in Windows? This was the trick for me... I prefer to have my "My Documents" folder sit on my D: drive, so that if and when I ever need to format Windows, all my files are already 'backed up' in a sense.That's the catch. Try this: Have Windows move your My Documents folder back to its default location (C:Documents and Settings... etc.), WITHOUT copying all of your files. Then try firing up FS. If it works, then problem solved. Now you can go back and change the location of the My Documents folder to the location whereever you want it, to be, only this time make sure that you "Move all of the documents in your old location to the new location you have chosen".See if this works, guys, and post back here. I'm hoping that this is the common thread that all of us have.Best of luck! Go figure, I've fixed my FS problem and am 5 minutes away from needing to go to work. I think this is going to be a longer day than when I was waiting for it to be delivered.Kenneth

I have (had) exactly the same problem, FS9 booted up just beyond the first splash screen then froze. I have just removed my FS9.cfg file and rebooted FS9 to create a new file and it is now working!! I have rebooted the computer and FS9 several times and it is still working but I am going to refine my settings step by step so that if the problem occurs again I will be able to isolate the cause. But