Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjjallen

The Luddites Guide to Tweaking FSX

I recently let FSX rebuild the FSX.cfg file and after applying the generally accepted settings on the display config screens, I only had to set the widescreen option to true.After restarting my mid to heavily loaded FSX, I was amazed at how smooth and good looking the sim was. No affinity mask, buffer pools, mip bias. ect. Kind of makes one wonder if FSX was designed to work best without exotic tweaking.BTW I'm using DX10 mode now that UT Alaska fixes the flickering runway markings.Back to enjoying UT Alaska.jja

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I recently let FSX rebuild the FSX.cfg file and after applying the generally accepted settings on the display config screens, I only had to set the widescreen option to true.After restarting my mid to heavily loaded FSX, I was amazed at how smooth and good looking the sim was. No affinity mask, buffer pools, mip bias. ect. Kind of makes one wonder if FSX was designed to work best without exotic tweaking.BTW I'm using DX10 mode now that UT Alaska fixes the flickering runway markings.Back to enjoying UT Alaska.jja
Probably the very best generic tweak!Good post jja :(

Got to agree. There are some VERY informed people on these forums with both the skills and the stamina to tweak for Britain (or the US or wherever..), but I'm not one of them. I admire their dedication, and am grateful for the odd tip I've picked up, but I just can't be bothered to get too involved. As long as I exercise a bit of common sense with the sliders, FSX runs very well indeed on my modest system. Ian

Tweaking interests me as a system design discovery tool. That's what I do. But it is time to get into some serious flying.jja