Sign in to follow this  
acmech

which OS is better for fs9 win xp 64 or windows 7?

My specs are ....Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard dual channel ddr3 2000 4gbcreative extreme gamer sound card4870 2gb ati video cardssd 160 gb intel harddrivePlease help me out there are so many topics on this that refer to fsx just not fs9....Thanks in advance!

My specs are ....Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard dual channel ddr3 2000 4gbcreative extreme gamer sound card4870 2gb ati video cardssd 160 gb intel harddrivePlease help me out there are so many topics on this that refer to fsx just not fs9....Thanks in advance!
Many people on here will say that fs9 is best with xp, and they are probably right, I don't really know, but what I can tell you is in my own experience, I ran fs9 on both xp and win7 os and did not see a single diffrence, I currently run it on win7 and have no problems. The only problems I have are user related(my own fault). But as far as the sim goes, havnt had a single crash or anything.As a win7 user, I am extremely happy with win7, with no problems as of yet(knock on wood). I previously had vista and was very worried about win7, but in my books microsoft redeemed themselves after win7.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

First off thanks for your reply!Currnetly,I have windows xp 32 with all updates right now, but I know it only displays 3gb of my 4gb of memory in the system .I guess my real question is xp64 or win7 better then windows xp 32 as far as for fs9 goes?

First off thanks for your reply!Currnetly,I have windows xp 32 with all updates right now, but I know it only displays 3gb of my 4gb of memory in the system .I guess my real question is xp64 or win7 better then windows xp 32 as far as for fs9 goes?
No problem.Unfortunetly I dont really have any idea, but im sure one of the tech guru's around here can answer that.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

IMHO, Win7 x64 is the only way to go - there are a number of technical reasons for doing so. I run Win7 x64 Pro with the patched FS9 large address aware executable, and have been very pleased with the result. XP64 was not a major success for MS and is obsolete. In any event, either is better for FS9 than XP32.DJ

Thanks again for the input.I think I am going to try win7 32 bit since software will most likely be focused on that os in the future.

I got my hands on a copy of windows xp 64. I will give it a try first before I go to win7.

Just to let you know...the Reality-XP Garmins will only run on a 32bit system. Which made the choice for me. :(
That is disspointing for me. I loved RXP on my old A64. But for some reason, it will not read any of the USB ports so basically I can't do anything with it. Granted, its 5 or 6 years old now, but for FS9, that thing was a grunt and could get the job done. I quickly learned RXP products were INOP on X64 systems... Not sure where I went with the above, but I'm going to my corner to cry. Oh how I miss RXP.

I got my hands on a copy of windows xp 64. I will give it a try first before I go to win7.
HelloXP64 is a much more compatible OS for FS9 than Windows 7 64bit and faster tooI think you will like it.

Hi,Since I changed to W7, It wont allow me to download addon(aircraft) on FSX. I have Carriers2/Tracks/Nimitz -Ike . But no aircraft on deck and I cannot download F15. Is there a way to find the FSX files on W7? XP was so simple. :(

That is disspointing for me. I loved RXP on my old A64. But for some reason, it will not read any of the USB ports so basically I can't do anything with it. Granted, its 5 or 6 years old now, but for FS9, that thing was a grunt and could get the job done. I quickly learned RXP products were INOP on X64 systems... Not sure where I went with the above, but I'm going to my corner to cry. Oh how I miss RXP.
The only RXP products that will not run on x64 systems are the old GPS units. All other gauges and the new WAAS GPS's work just fine...DJ

Well, I tired windows xp 64 ..... I don't know what went wrong, but my frame rates were just terrible compared to windows xp pro 32 bit. So I, went ahead and went back to xp pro 32 bit, after a couple of hours and some disappointments. After, my reinstall of xp 32 bit ,I went ahead and reinstalled fsx just to see what my new sytem would do for it. The result was not that great. I tired too tweak it for some time, then I would check out the results. I just wasn't satisied. I mean yes ,the water looks great but then again, its like Fly tampa's TNCM just didn't look as detailed as it does in fs9. Also, even at a default busy airport its like my system was crying on the ground. It seems you have to either give up details in the each sim one way or the other .So with that said I just went right back to removing fsx and back to FS9. After my reinstall, which is fairly easy, since I have a back up hard drive with a tested copy of fs9 on it .I then remembered why after all these years I keep using this great sim. I don't know whats the secret to making fsx run and look good but I can bet that nobody can load up their sim with so many things running as in back ground programs and maxed out settings as you can do in fs9 with still good results. Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-CoreASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel MotherboardKingston ddr3 2000 4gbcreative extreme sound cardati 4870 2gbSSD intel 160 gb hard drive700watt power supply

The only RXP products that will not run on x64 systems are the old GPS units. All other gauges and the new WAAS GPS's work just fine...DJ
Seriously? Had no clue! Thanks for the heads up.

Seriously? Had no clue! Thanks for the heads up.
Yep, I've got them all running on Win7 x64 Pro with no problems. I do suggest you download the latest installers for your products - some of the older wrappers have issues. I also suggest the following for a happy FS experience: Turn UAC off, install FS9 outside the 'program files(x32)' path as well as all addons, always run everything as Admin.DJ