Sign in to follow this  
Guest stanshear

Whistler Ski Resort Scenery

Guest stanshear

Hi guysWith the winter olympics now in progress at Whistler, and myself hailing from Vancouver, I thought it would be a great idea to find some appropriate scenery to fly there. I found Franz Curda's ski resort scenery which really looks great, but requires a lot of EZ library downloads which don't seem to have been reinstated after AVSIM's unfortunate disaster and are still missing. I tried to email Franz at the address given in his posting, but it was returned "address unknown". So I'm wondering if any of you would know where to get these file libraries, or better still, if anybody who has downloaded this scenery maybe has a zipped version of all these files, or if anybody has Franz's email address?ThanksStan

Hi guysWith the winter olympics now in progress at Whistler, and myself hailing from Vancouver, I thought it would be a great idea to find some appropriate scenery to fly there. I found Franz Curda's ski resort scenery which really looks great, but requires a lot of EZ library downloads which don't seem to have been reinstated after AVSIM's unfortunate disaster and are still missing. I tried to email Franz at the address given in his posting, but it was returned "address unknown". So I'm wondering if any of you would know where to get these file libraries, or better still, if anybody who has downloaded this scenery maybe has a zipped version of all these files, or if anybody has Franz's email address?ThanksStan
if you go over to flightsim.com and search Joe DeGregorio there is a file with a bunch of EZ files packed into one up to may 2008 i beleive. ill warn you though it is 200mb in size

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

if you go over to flightsim.com and search Joe DeGregorio there is a file with a bunch of EZ files packed into one up to may 2008 i beleive. ill warn you though it is 200mb in size
And just a word of caution - that package also contains a number of files which are not EZ related in anyway. They are bgls from other sceneries and should have been culled before the package was released. They are pretty easy to spot though as they have no related txt files.

And just a word of caution - that package also contains a number of files which are not EZ related in anyway. They are bgls from other sceneries and should have been culled before the package was released. They are pretty easy to spot though as they have no related txt files.
Very good to know, I am just about done downloading it now and will take a look at it before installing.Thanks David for the heads up.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Guest stanshear
Very good to know, I am just about done downloading it now and will take a look at it before installing.Thanks David for the heads up.
Thanks, and thanks. I'll check this out.Stan

I am assuming it is safe to say that you have installed this freeware file? If so i was wondering how to not install, or get rid of the bgls that are part of other sceneries. Or more so where wouls they get installed in my fs9 folder, and how will I know which files are from other sceneries?Im a little weary of installing this now, I think i'll wait until I hear from you again.Thanks

I am assuming it is safe to say that you have installed this freeware file? If so i was wondering how to not install, or get rid of the bgls that are part of other sceneries. Or more so where wouls they get installed in my fs9 folder, and how will I know which files are from other sceneries?Im a little weary of installing this now, I think i'll wait until I hear from you again.Thanks
Yes, I checked this file out a number of months ago and reported my finding to the author - with no success in getting him to revise the package.This is what I would recommend:1. Direct the auto-installer to a temporary folder - NOT your FS2004 setup.2. That will produce a set of folders leading to one named EZ Object Library. There is a scenery subfolder under EZ Object Library which contains all of the bgls.True EZ library bgls will have an associated text file - example: AB_Buildings.bgl and AB_Buildings.txt. There may be an xml file also which is actually not needed. You will note the presence of a number of other files such as 0_alab_excl.BGL and 0_Norf_excl.BGL and Alabama.bgl and Illin.BGL etc. etc.. These are not EZ libraries but are files from actual scenery enhancements by others.If you activate the entry named EZ Object Library without removing those bgls, you will end up with some very strange "enhancements" in various areas which will likely conflict with a proper enhancement you have installed.For some unknown reason, he has also duplicated the texture subfolder - which places a copy of all the textures into the default texture folder. This should not be needed - they are already in the texture subfolder of the EZ Object Library. I would ignore the "stand alone" texture folder. After purging the scenery subfolder of EZ Object Library of unnecessary bgls, I would then place a copy of the "cleaned" EZ Object Library folder into your Flight Simulator 9 / Addon Scenery folder and activate (add) it in the normal manner. I keep mine near the bottom of the list , just above the Addon scenery and Propeller Objects entries.The package also includes a file named Trees_0.bgl - and the installer would place it in Scenery/World/scenery subfolder. It will probably work there but I keep that file in the Scenery/Generic/scenery subfolder.Hope this helps.

Guest stanshear

Thanks for the valuable suggestions David. I installed the libraries and thought I'd try out the Whistler scenery as is without getting rid of the superfluous BGL's. The result was the old Out Of Memory error, which I'd experienced before when I had clashing scenery, so obviously those BGL's were clashing somewhere. I have restored my Scenery and Scenery.cfg files from my backup (need I harp on the absolutely necessary procedure of making regular backups on an external hard drive or whatever?) and will try out your suggestions after I've established that my system is stable again.Stan

Yes, I checked this file out a number of months ago and reported my finding to the author - with no success in getting him to revise the package.This is what I would recommend:1. Direct the auto-installer to a temporary folder - NOT your FS2004 setup.2. That will produce a set of folders leading to one named EZ Object Library. There is a scenery subfolder under EZ Object Library which contains all of the bgls.True EZ library bgls will have an associated text file - example: AB_Buildings.bgl and AB_Buildings.txt. There may be an xml file also which is actually not needed. You will note the presence of a number of other files such as 0_alab_excl.BGL and 0_Norf_excl.BGL and Alabama.bgl and Illin.BGL etc. etc.. These are not EZ libraries but are files from actual scenery enhancements by others.If you activate the entry named EZ Object Library without removing those bgls, you will end up with some very strange "enhancements" in various areas which will likely conflict with a proper enhancement you have installed.For some unknown reason, he has also duplicated the texture subfolder - which places a copy of all the textures into the default texture folder. This should not be needed - they are already in the texture subfolder of the EZ Object Library. I would ignore the "stand alone" texture folder. After purging the scenery subfolder of EZ Object Library of unnecessary bgls, I would then place a copy of the "cleaned" EZ Object Library folder into your Flight Simulator 9 / Addon Scenery folder and activate (add) it in the normal manner. I keep mine near the bottom of the list , just above the Addon scenery and Propeller Objects entries.The package also includes a file named Trees_0.bgl - and the installer would place it in Scenery/World/scenery subfolder. It will probably work there but I keep that file in the Scenery/Generic/scenery subfolder.Hope this helps.
yes, Thank you very much for the information, I will giving this file a go later on tonight and see how it works out. Lately I have been very cautious of what goes into my fs9 folder for some reason. I guess I just don't want to "gunk it up".Thanks again

Actually I never installed Joe's package - did not need to as I had kept up with all of the EZ object library releases and had installed all of them.I only looked at Joe's "well meaning attempt to make life easier for folks" and discovered all of the "extra" files it should not have included.It will likely work alrighht once you have cleaned up the scenery folder as I suggested.

Guest stanshear
Actually I never installed Joe's package - did not need to as I had kept up with all of the EZ object library releases and had installed all of them.I only looked at Joe's "well meaning attempt to make life easier for folks" and discovered all of the "extra" files it should not have included.It will likely work alrighht once you have cleaned up the scenery folder as I suggested.
David, what about the EXCLUDE files? Do we need them?Stan

David, what about the EXCLUDE files? Do we need them?Stan
Nope - I mentioned them (I thought) in the previous post. They are apparently related to some of the "scenery" files - as their names are similar - such as: 0_ncar_excl.BGLandNCarE.BGLEZ files do not include excludes.

Guest stanshear

Just to be a nuisance David, a strange thing has happened. Firstly I got everything stabilzed again, but now when I want to add scenery (in particular this Whistler stuff), when I click on Add Scenery and select the scenery file, as I've done a zillion times before, after selecting the Scenery file and noting the path appear in the box, and clicking on OK I get the message "No items match your search", the "Add Scenery" box doesn't disappear, and the new scenery doesn't appear on top of the list as usual. I could edit the scenery.cfg file directly, but don't want to interfere with this.Any idea what could be happening?Stan

Just to be a nuisance David, a strange thing has happened. Firstly I got everything stabilzed again, but now when I want to add scenery (in particular this Whistler stuff), when I click on Add Scenery and select the scenery file, as I've done a zillion times before, after selecting the Scenery file and noting the path appear in the box, and clicking on OK I get the message "No items match your search", the "Add Scenery" box doesn't disappear, and the new scenery doesn't appear on top of the list as usual. I could edit the scenery.cfg file directly, but don't want to interfere with this.Any idea what could be happening?Stan
Running Win 7 perhaps? If so, it is a known "bug" -This thread has a good visual presentation of how to add scenery under Win 7.http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=205432Hope that helps.

Guest stanshear
Running Win 7 perhaps? If so, it is a known "bug" -This thread has a good visual presentation of how to add scenery under Win 7.http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=205432Hope that helps.
AHA, Win 7 it is. Strange but when I try, and try, and try, and try again, it "clicks in". I haven't looked at your site yet, but maybe I should try entering directly into the cfg file.Thanks. I don't know where you find all these things out David. You're a walking encyclopaedia!Stan