Sign in to follow this  
Guest dacman

i5, i7, i9, I'm going crazy!

Guest dacman

I'm currently working on the specs of my new computer which will be used both for work and for the occasional FSX flight.My hardware guy has given me the choice of an i5, i7 or i9 processor. From what I've read here, the i7 is more common than the i5. My question is, will the i9 make FS run any faster (ie better frame rates) over the i7 given that everything else stays the same, or is spending the extra money on the i9 just a waste of money?Thanks!Dean

is spending the extra money on the i9 just a waste of money?
I didn't know an i9 core cpu was on the market (other than grey market). Therefore, I wouldn't know how much it costs.FSX wouldn't benefit from 6 cores anyway. The i7 would be advantagous over the i5 for other applications that use hyperthreading (FSX doesn't). The 1366 socket is advantageous over the 1566 socket for 3-channel memory and potential for future upgrades.

Art

Guest FlyingBits
I'm currently working on the specs of my new computer which will be used both for work and for the occasional FSX flight.My hardware guy has given me the choice of an i5, i7 or i9 processor. From what I've read here, the i7 is more common than the i5. My question is, will the i9 make FS run any faster (ie better frame rates) over the i7 given that everything else stays the same, or is spending the extra money on the i9 just a waste of money?Thanks!Dean
Though FSX can take advantage of scheduling threads on up to 32 cores, how much of an advantage the Six core I7-980 (I9) has over a good quad we wont know until we can test it. Since it will be in the $1000 range, it would make sense to wait until you can compare it cheaper bargains like the I7-920 DO.

There's no such thing as an i9. Are you sure you heard that right? The upcoming 6-core chips are still i7s. Anyway, if you want the most performance possible you have to overclock and you should be looking at the i7s only. 6 core vs. 4 core isn't so important, but the upcoming 6 core chips are built on a smaller manufacturing process which may allow for higher clockspeeds (i.e. better overclocks).

I would go with the I7 now as it has the same Mobo LGA1366 socket as the I9 (aka I7-980x), if the I9 does come out to be a world beater then you will always have the option to upgrade.

Guest FlyingBits
There's no such thing as an i9. Are you sure you heard that right? The upcoming 6-core chips are still i7s. Anyway, if you want the most performance possible you have to overclock and you should be looking at the i7s only. 6 core vs. 4 core isn't so important, but the upcoming 6 core chips are built on a smaller manufacturing process which may allow for higher clockspeeds (i.e. better overclocks).
Max, Intels own publications have been calling it the I9 for quite a while, regardless of it being branded the I7-980/970
I would go with the I7 now as it has the same Mobo LGA1366 socket as the I9 (aka I7-980x), if the I9 does come out to be a world beater then you will always have the option to upgrade.
2nd that.

Guest FlyingBits
Paul - cite one then. Show me a link to a page at intel.com that mentions the name "i9".
Oh come on, arn't there better things we can debate, like world peace and hunger? :( First, no one outside of the company NDA have access from intel to the official I9 sections at all and that goes for most all future unreleased product until close to launch time. If you did have access the NDA is very strictly inforced, and unless you have private connections you can only gain access thru the forums of which you can find plenty of I9 post if you want to your own search.Assumed or not All the slides and presentations from Intel as published by most every trade journel on earth showed the same logo from Intel calling it I9 since before June of last year even well after the IDF in Sept.So many still of course refer to it as I9 untill the actual released name sinks in.http://www.techpowerup.com/97604/Details_o...ed_Core_i9.htmlhttp://www.pcworld.com/article/182906/inte...s_of_speed.htmlhttp://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/leak...thing_inbetweenhttp://communities.intel.com/search.jspa?r...mp;rankBy=10001http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews...tel-Core-i9.jpg

Thanks for proving my point. The only link in your list to an intel website is to posts made by users on their forum. At no time or place has an Intel official used the phrase "i9". The name i9 arose in the community as *speculation*. The product(s) which were speculated to be named i9, are all i7 9xx series parts. The 980x being the first to market, launching next month.

Guest FlyingBits
Thanks for proving my point. The only link in your list to an intel website is to posts made by users on their forum. At no time or place has an Intel official used the phrase "i9". The name i9 arose in the community as *speculation*. The product(s) which were speculated to be named i9, are all i7 9xx series parts. The 980x being the first to market, launching next month.
Sure,Yeah, I agreee up to a point, there ws at least that much speculation from Intel employees and no doubt the marketing dept kicked it around, and since everyone in the industry rubs shoulders with someone else the closer you got to Intel the more you heard I9.I doubt anyone at Intel refuted the I9 moniker when speaking with press at events or the i9 wouldnt have stuck like it did for so long.the original poster called it a "I9" and you said "there is no such thing".Anatoliy Kuznetsov, the author of BitMagic was interviewd by Intels Andrey Karpov in-house developer in "Program Verification Systems" quote "In view of the mass expansion of Intel Core i5-i7-i9, it would be reasonable to release a SSE 4.2 version of the library" http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/BitMagic-Library/The poor fool, doesn't even know there never was such thing being refered to by Intel or those in the "know".Its a real quote, bottom of page, it must have been floated by enough people as I9 or it would have been refered to as I9 and would have been edited out by Andrey, but what ever.Come on Max, liten up!Can we debate something better? Like which which of these was fastest and in what order, A12, Sr-71 XB-70A-2 or Mig25?

Guest firehawk44
The I9 was rumored to be the next Intel chip. That has been resolved by the announcement of the imminent release of the 980x.I'm a bit confused over your statement that 6 core vs. 4 core isn't so important as I have lately been throwing around the thread from Phil Taylor's blog that the more cores you have the faster your speed and GHz no longer is the main factor: http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...od-measure.aspx. Unfortunately, Phil indicated that FSX was not really programmed to handle many cores and they had planned to do that in future updates. But FS is dead and there will be no future engine updates so we have to live with what we have until a new FS engine is developed by Microsoft or another developer produces a better product. I think your statement that 6 cores vs 4 cores aren't so important is technically correct as it is only a 2 core increase from the 975x and that will probably not make much of a difference in FSX. Best regards,Jim

Guest UlfB

The Westmere 6 core is actually a die shrink from 45nm to 32nm. This should result in lower temps (compare the GTX 280 with the 285). Lower temps would enable better OC:ing potential. IMO the new processors seems very interesting and I sure hope to be able to upgrade in a couple of months :( These i7 920 and 940 processors are getting old by now. Time to move on.http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3733

Jim, if it what you propose were true, quad core chips would net higher FPS than dual core chips at the same clockspeed from the same family of CPUs, yet this is not what we see.