Sign in to follow this  
dolph98

FSX is unstable

Hi all,Recently, after getting the sim to where it looks good and has a good frame rate, I can't fly a long flight using time compression. After turning TC off, either the graphics are all hosed or it is a black screen with sound. I know, I should be a man and fly everything real time but I don't have time for that usually. I am in the habit of getting the plane to altitude then press the R+ to get to about 100 miles out then go back to real time. I set the sim up using Nick's settings and it looks and flies good at first, but using the TC ends my good times every time. I also upgraded the graphics drivers to 196.21 last week. This happens in any airplane, purchased or freeware. It happens at night or during daytime. It happens whether I close all unneeded background programs or leave it alone with a fresh reboot. The only thing I have not done is go back a driver version, to 195.62.Does anyone have any ideas?Thanks in advance.

Have you tried coming out of time compression in stages I.e. 8x, 4x, 2x, realtime.I must admit this happens to me or I get a lock up if i keep going into the menus. I think I basically fiddle too much and the sim eventually gives up trying to play catchup.But in your case it may be that a change from time compression back to realtime in an instant is just overloading your system.Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Have you tried coming out of time compression in stages I.e. 8x, 4x, 2x, realtime.I must admit this happens to me or I get a lock up if i keep going into the menus. I think I basically fiddle too much and the sim eventually gives up trying to play catchup.But in your case it may be that a change from time compression back to realtime in an instant is just overloading your system.Tom
Yes, of course. 16x to 8x, then on the transition to 4x it reloads the AI data, then 2x then 1x. One step at a time. There really is no choice other than that. I have noticed that when it works properly and does not misbehave, I get a completely white screen for a second after it reloads the AI, then the normal graphics appear. When it is going to fail, the white screen does not appear and a black screen does instead. Sometimes it never recovers from the black screen. It's the black screen of death!

Yes, of course. 16x to 8x, then on the transition to 4x it reloads the AI data, then 2x then 1x. One step at a time. There really is no choice other than that. I have noticed that when it works properly and does not misbehave, I get a completely white screen for a second after it reloads the AI, then the normal graphics appear. When it is going to fail, the white screen does not appear and a black screen does instead. Sometimes it never recovers from the black screen. It's the black screen of death!
Do you have any scenery addons? Is your OS up to date with the latest updates? Is your machine overclocked?Perhaps others can suggest a solution as I'm not the best at solving fsx problems, other than doing the obvious.I have to say I don't do long flights any more as the time compression sometimes ended my flights in a similar way to you so I try to avoid it but it does limit things hugely Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Guest WarpAir

Most dont realise that your PC is working much harder as the time accelleration increases 2,4,8,16 etc.On my PC the temperature goes up as time accell is increased.What am saying is , your FSX setup might be stable for normal time , and even time accell , but not for the heavy workload required when coming out of time accell.To fix this i suggest your turn all your sliders down to near zero, then gradually increase till you find setting that works with time accell.

Instead of 16x acceleration, how about opening the map and moving the aircraft along the flightpath and resuming? Would that work as well?

Art

I like the suggestion to move the plane using the Map, but it won't work for me since I fly with either FSEconomy or FlyteLine and they wont' work that way. I do have the latest updates, including the latest nVidia drivers. I thought of going back a driver but instead I turned down some sliders and will try it that way for a while. The eye candy isn't really visible at FL450 anyway. With the sliders down, it appears to work better although it does stutter a bit more after coming out of warp. This seems to be something going on with the drivers after all. I'm paying close attention to it and may still go back a driver. Too bad, it seems this driver update improved the frame rate, at least at the beginning of the flight.

After you drop down back to 1x hit the pause button to let the graphics stabilize.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

After you drop down back to 1x hit the pause button to let the graphics stabilize.
Yes I've tried that. The problem is that FSX does not come back most of the time. I mean it goes CTD!

one thing that helped for me, is i always turn my ai traffic off when i am using time compression. once i go back to 1x time or near my destination i will re-enable it. this avoids the pesky 'loading ai' step when you cross the 8x barrier and seems more stable imho.your mileage may vary of course .also if you are having frequent ctd in this case, try using windowed mode. genreally the "ai load" combined with fullscreen will ctd on my nvidia card every time. works fine in windowed.cheers,-andy crosby

I have noticed it is worse in some planes than in others. For instance, the ESDG Citation X pretty much always CTDs upon return to normal time, and the Flight1 ATR 72-500 does not crash, but instead everything slows to a crawl with a frame rate of about 1. I will try your suggestion turning off the AI next flight. I'm also experimenting with closing unused programs using EndItAll to see if there is something in the background causing this. Back when I flew FS9 I never had a problem with TC. It is only with FSX that I have been aggravated with this issue. I realize the heavy load the computer is under with FSX has everything to do with it. Maybe it's time for a new computer. I asked the wife for a new one over Christmas and, well, the bruises hardly show anymore.

Guest firehawk44
With your system specs, I'm afraid you're living close to the edge with FSX. I read somewhere back when FSX was first released that anything over 4x's could cause system instability as this was happening quite a bit when FSX first came out. I suspect that applied to older systems and not the new state-of-the-art systems. I never exceed more than 4x's and have never had a problem. Best regards,Jim