Sign in to follow this  
Guest treeman

One or two questions here...

Guest simmer9304

My current computer is getting pretty outdated and I have ordered a new one to replace it. I ordered a Studio Desktop with an Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz Windows 7 Home 64bit 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHZ and the onboard graphics chip will be replaced with my aged but stable nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra. Any thoughts on how the system should perform running fs9? This includes all sorts of addons(EDIT: Removed question that had been answered)

Are you 100% sure that 6800 is a PCI-e card? System should run FS9 alright, but the graphics card may hold you back if you run addons and high graphics settings.

Guest simmer9304

Thanks for the suggestion I checked and it's both AGP and PCIe compatible which is the reason I bought this card since it is the last card made supporting AGP since my current computer does not have a PCIe slot.I agree that the graphics card is probably going to bottleneck the system but my current system (P4 2.6ghz 1gb ram and same card) manages about 20fps with addon aircraft, scenery, textures, weather, and traffic. Also, will a 64bit vs 32bit OS make a difference?

Graphics cards don't work that way. You've got one interface or you've got the other. Your current mobo may support both interfaces, but I assure you the card itself does not.

Guest simmer9304

Really? I never knew that... I use the graphics card comparison sheet on TechArp and the 6800 is listed as supporting both... But will the card work on a newer motherboard that only has a PCIe slot? Thanks for telling me that this could save me some money with the new system

What you're seeing there simply means that the card was available in both formats, not that a single card can support both. You will not be able to re-use that card.

Guest simmer9304

Oh ok I see how that works thank you for your input now I can go shop around a bit for a new card.