Sign in to follow this  
Guest Erich22

Looking for complex turbo prop or vintage airliner

Guest Erich22

I like to get your thoughts on getting another addon. I already have the RealAir Duke, Cheyenne, Level D 767 and I want something in between. I was looking at the PMDG J41 but want to know if there are any better products in terms of quality, complexity, failures, etc.. than the J41. I tend to do a lot of hand flying and want something that has less on-board computers and more analoge panel. Are there any other vintage airliners that come with the level of complexity as level-D or PMDG products?

Hi Erich,the perfect product range for your needs should be the Accusimmed planes from A2A simulations.They have a B377, P47 and in some weeks (days?) a B-17 Accusimmed.(also there's the Piper Cub Auccusimmed but you've shouted for hard work ;-) )The system deepth of these planes is unique in FSX this is for sure.All the planes that you mentioned above - the modern airliners - have of course also an outstanding systemdeepth but this A2A planes are oldtimers, means you have to look about turbo, cowl flaps, oil and so on.The only addon which is in this league is the Aerosoft Catalina.I have written two reviews about the b377 and the P47.Thea are in german, but from your nickame I think you should understand themIf you have a look at A2As site don't forget to llok about the Accusim packages which are essential for the systemdeepth but separatly sold!So you have to add Accusim onto the pure model price....B377 ReviewP47 Reviewenjoy!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There aren't any better FSX turbo props than the PMDG J4100 in terms of graphic quality of the VC and modelling of its engines, IMHO. True, it doesn't model failures, but that's a very small price to pay for an excellent simulation of a complex turbo prop. And other than the basic FMC in the J41 cockpit, there isn't a lot of glass or computerized flying this one...only the pilot. Check out the numerous YouTube videos on this plane for more details.And while it's not a turbo prop or a vintage airliner, the accusimmed A2A P-47 is a masterpiece, as Guenter states.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I can't think of any other turbo prop airliner that's better than the PMDG in FSX, not even close. The Digital Aviation Piper Cheyenne is a great turbo prop although not a liner.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

And while it's not a turbo prop
Hey Wayne, thats not true.... of course the P47 (and the B377 and B17, too) has a turbo... so a prop and a turbo is a turbo prop :(

Guenter Steiner

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester

Hey Wayne, thats not true.... of course the P47 (and the B377 and B17, too) has a turbo... so a prop and a turbo is a turbo prop :(
yuck, yuck, there Guenter ... :( But seriously, while the PMDG has a good AP coupled with its FMC, it'sa fun aircraft to hand-fly as well.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

In the turbo prop realm, you might consider the Aerosoft Twin Otter. Another possibility is the Majestic Dash 8 300, though I don't have this I understand it is more or less the old Fanda/Frolov Dash 8 dressed up a bit. I don't think it has a VC. scott s..

PMDG J41 is outstanding plane, i fly it often. Anyways, what you're looking for from your description is A2A B337 Stratocruiser with Accusim package. It's huge, complex, vintage and verrryyy challenging to fly. Go for it.

Regards,

Radek

Since you mentioned hand flying.... (and although it's not in either of the two categories you listed)... why not try the Lotus L39 Albatros?No autopilot, systems modeled well, HQ VC, and you can sit in the rear seat and fail stuff in the front seat during online sessions (or in single player)http://lotussim.com/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I was looking at the PMDG J41 but want to know if there are any better products in terms of quality, complexity, failures, etc.. than the J41.
Erich,The PMDG Jetstream 4100 is a superb aircraft for hand flying. This is the only way that I fly my planes in simulators, and the JS4100 is wonderfully stable. In addition, the VC is a work of art, and the 3D model is very well detailed. Just make sure that you set the condition levers to FLIGHT mode before applying take off power, otherwise your engines will explode!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

In the turbo prop realm, you might consider the Aerosoft Twin Otter. Another possibility is the Majestic Dash 8 300, though I don't have this I understand it is more or less the old Fanda/Frolov Dash 8 dressed up a bit. I don't think it has a VC. scott s..
The Majestic Dash 8 300 does have a decent VC (although it doesn't compare with the PMDG J41 excellent VC).

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

The Majestic Dash 8 300 does have a decent VC (although it doesn't compare with the PMDG J41 excellent VC).
And adding to that,it does model failures depending on which version one buys.All feature the same system depth though,and I hardly fly anything different these days.The graphics aren't up to todays standards though,that's a pity,but the sound is way beyond todays standard.Also it has Navigraph support with terminal procedures,and it flies beautifully.Oh yeah,I'm a definite fan.

Guest Erich22

Thanks all. I have read that the J41 really keeps you, the pilot, involved or busy. It is not the same as flying the modern airliners where you takeoff and turn-on the autopilot. Can anyone give some examples of how you fly the plane? I also use FS Passenger. My question is that if any of the other systems in the airplane fail will they affect the performance of the airplane or are the systems only simulated and have no real effect? I really like the complexity of the B377 but I cannot get over the overall look of the plane. Call me silly but I like to enjoy the look of an airplane. I wish A2A would make a DC-4 or earlier airliners. How does Captain Sim 727 compare?

Call me silly but I like to enjoy the look of an airplane. I wish A2A would make a DC-4 or earlier airliners.
A DC-3 with A2A quality would be a seller. At least for me!