Sign in to follow this  
Majick

Is VOX ATC for me?

Hello All,I wondered if I could get some feedback from real users! I fly mainly in the UK. I'm happy with the key press method of ATC, but would prefer realistic procedures and especially would like UK accents.So although I would use headset and voice commands I don't want to be forced to use them all the time. I'd like to have the choice. Given the hefty price tag for this product I don't want to be left with all or nothing!Also I guess it would be useful for me to know if it uses a lot of processing resource, as I'd hate to find my frame rates challenged :( So, I'd appreciate any info you can give me to clear up these questions.RegardsJon

Err....ok. Well maybe my question doesn't compute. After all, why buy a voice recognition add-on if I don't want to use voice all the time.Because sometimes I want to have a rest from headphones and sometimes I don't want to be talking at my computer, but I'd still like to benefit from the improved procedures and the alternative atc accents this

Hi Jon,I reviewed this product when it first came out and have been a big supporter of VoxATC. My main and almost exclusive use of it has been with USA flights and really can't comment on the UK use of it. I did test some earlier UK versions when they were in beta and I can tell you the developer lives in the UK and so do some of the beta testers. As far as voices you can purchase British accent as well as other country specific accents and use them with VoxATC, you can select up to four different voices (two controllers and two aircraft, usually one male and one female each) and an additional voice set to use as a copilot so the total different voices can be up to five.I personally find using VoxATC much more realistic since in real world flying you have to think of what you are going to say, key the mic and say it, which VoxATC gives you the opportunity to do. You can also use the prompter box which will tell you what you need to say.If I'm not mistaken there is still the opportunity to test this software out on your computer for a short time without purchasing it. I would take advantage of that to see if your hardware is a good match and that you like using the product. I wouldn't fly without it but that is my personal preference.Hope my comments are helpful to you.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Zane,Thanks v much for the advice. I guess I still have the question on whether I can configure it so that I can use it without issuing voice commands when I prefer not to?Another question which comes to mind is whether the voice recognition is using the standard Windows software, or does the product itself provide the voice recognition functionality?RegardsJon

Hi Jon,I have used VOXATC for a good while now (UK Supplement). To answer your question I dion't believe you can use it other than through the use of voice control. There is a prompter which gives options that can be then selected through numbered choices however these options really select significant paths within a flight; like the type of approach you want to fly or which runway to taxi to etc.To be honest I strive to get as much immersion as possible within my flight sims and for me VOXATC is a defining product, much like the first joystick or the first time you use something like TrakIR, you just can't go back once you have experienced what it allows you to do.I personally use two sound cards so that I get the VOXATC through the headset (background noises on the speakers) and this also makes a big difference.I think you do need the additional voices, I know they are expensive, but once set up I don't think you would want to fly without it, I certainly wouldn't ever fly a flight without VOXATC enabled.Even just doing circuits in a C152 (UK supplement) is very close to what I have experienced at the local flying club. Not exactly the same but pretty close indeed.The voice recognician aspect is standard Windows functionality.Hope that helps.OldBadger

Oldbadger,Thanks for the info. If only using one soundcard can you still get the FSX noise alongside the VOX ATC sound?RegardsJon

Hi Jon,Yes the normal way to operate is with a single sound card and all voice / sounds going through that. I operated that way for one or two years in the first place but I do prefer the separation as it just adds a little extra to the experience (not necessary though).You were also asking about overheads processor wise; I don't think the overhead is large, certainly not for me, and I am not running one of the most up to date processors. I have a overclocked E8400 @ 2.6 GHZ but also run at 3840*1024 (TH2G) with the Realair DUKE, Trakir, and heavy clouds (ASA) although ASA is running on a laptop and only injecting the clouds.The clouds have much more of an impact that VOXATC ever does even when operating in this manner.The only tip I would give when using VOXATC is to make sure you keep the prompter visible until you are used to the system as it can occasionally get confused if you give it an incorrect reponse. I did this myself for quite a while at first but once you are used to it you don't need the prompter visible anymore.You can switch the prompter on and off whenever you feel like it though (put it on just for the difficult bits).Hope that helps.OldBadger

Oldbadger,Thanks v much for the advice. I have bitten the bullet and bought it. Having some teething troubles which I will ask about on a separate thread :)RegardsJon