Sign in to follow this  
dighost

No more flight sim programs at Best Buy

Not sure if this is the case in your area with Best Buy stores... but it appears that they are no longer selling any flight sim programs (except for maybe online). Up until recently they had copies of FSX Gold, X Plane and even PMDG's 747 as well as several Abacus titles. I didn't see any of them at my local store, and when I got home I checked online at several locations, in several cities and nobody has them! Not sure what this means, but it can't be good that the entire genre is no longer on the shelves.

big box stocking is strange ... based in part by volume (if an item's sales fall below a set point it is removed from the 'planogram'); another based on payment (ie, what a distributer/publisher 'pays' for shelf space); and marketing ideas coming from the coorporate offices (which may or may not be based on anything more than 'what the assortment coordinator believes' will drive sales).just a few days ago was in office depot. on the shelves, in the limited computer game section, were FSX, FSXgold AND FS9.for the hobby, IMO, it is more important that FS is on the shelves (both FS9 and FSX is best). addons are not as vital as the vast majority of these sales are by download.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

I've noticed here in the Dallas market the only big box store that carries FSX or FS9 plus a lot of FS addons is Fry's Electronics. As much as I hate shopping there, I must admit they have a great selection of FS products and well as FS hardware like yokes, sticks, throttles, and rudder pedals.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

for the hobby, IMO, it is more important that FS is on the shelves (both FS9 and FSX is best). addons are not as vital as the vast majority of these sales are by download.
Agreed, I picked up FSX on a whim at Best Buy after my first real-world flight lesson and it was my gateway drug into the world of flight sim addons/websites/communities/other simulators et. cetera.Without a brick and mortar presence there will only be a tricke of people getting into the hobby, which is bad for everyone.

Hello!After reading the other posts here and in other forums, I decided to check out the Big Box stores to see what I could find...All Best Buy had was a couple copies of FS 2002 in the bargain rack and one copy of FSX Deluxe on the shelf. (I think Best Buy IS getting out of the flight sim business)!Office Depot and Office Max had no FS product at all, and I tried our local computer store (Micro Center); all they had were copies of CFS3 in the bargain rack.It looks like eBay might be the best place to find copies of older flight sims... FS 2002 and 2004 show up there on a regular basis, and for reasonable prices (but very few copies are brand new... most are slightly used).Well, just my 2

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

I've seen few sim related products at the BestBuy near me a week or so ago.

On a related note ...I've seen the Aerosoft-distributed 747X and Jayhawk packages at London Drugs in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver, BC.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

On a related note ...I've seen the Aerosoft-distributed 747X and Jayhawk packages at London Drugs in Surrey, a suburb of Vancouver, BC.
Same here at the Best Buy in Olympia, WANo FSX Gold/Deluxe/Acceleration to speak of, but half a dozen copies of X-Plane 9, six copies of Flight Deck 6, Aerosoft PMDG 747, Jayhawk/Seahawk.Had to go to the mall and into an Electronics Boutique to find FSX Gold.

Blake

Guest byoungblood

One Best Buy I went into recently had a very poor selection of PC games in general, there was maybe one row of games. What they did have were primarily RPGs. Contrast this to maybe 4-5 years ago (pre PS3, X-Box 360, etc) where you could take 20 minutes browsing their PC gaming section. So I don't know if it is so much of a knock on flight sims, but just a general commentary on the PC gaming industry as a whole.

So I don't know if it is so much of a knock on flight sims, but just a general commentary on the PC gaming industry as a whole.
very true. the best selection for 'PC games' in my area is Fry's in renton (WA). really just one long row. everything else PC is reference material and 'children eduction games'. this contrasts with row after row of console games.--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

It is interesting how differently Best Buy stores are stocked, and how much shelf space is allocated to SKUs...My closest Best Buy is in Lansing, Illinois and has a very anemic selection of PC Titles, and shelf space, about 1/2 of of one side of a shelving unit.The second closest Best Buy is in Crestview, Illinois (about 12 miles further west) and has a much larger selection, consisting of both sides of two shelving units!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest CX355
Have been in there a few times, seems like a strange place to sell flightsim products. I bought PIC767 in a mall in Surrey, i think Radio Shack, years ago and that is the only time I have seen any high end products in any store, U.S. or Canada. Vincent, Sumas

Guest zonie

The Microsoft Store here in Scottsdale still carries FSX.