Sign in to follow this  
dighost

No more flight sim programs at Best Buy

Have been in there a few times, seems like a strange place to sell flightsim products.
It certainly is. I've never seen any other sim-related software there before. In case anyone's interested, it the London Drugs on King George Highway between 102 and 104 Avenue.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Honestly, it is more of a commentary on PC gaming than Flight Simulation, back in the good old days, you used to be able to spend 20-40 minutes browsing the PC section, now they only carry the biggest sellers. I had a heck of a time trying to find a copy of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat recently, and that was only released this month. The reality is that the gaming industry is moving to the consoles because they are cheaper and more wide spread. As a result, the stores will primarily carry console games because that's what sells. Really, the absolute best bet for PC gaming at this point is services like Steam, which while sad, is the truth. FS is only hit first because FS is a niche product. I suspect however that if the FS community were to get a presence on a service like Steam, there may be a little higher sales. What most people here aren't realizing is that the next generation of gamers focuses on consoles, and the next generation of PC gamers is going to be looking more to places like Steam than brick and mortar. The big thing will just be getting FS and it's add-ons accessible to the mainstream.

Publishers actually make more money on PC games per unit than console games. Publishers have to pay a licensing fee to the console makers just to develop a game for the console. This does not count having to buy multiple development consoles which run in the thousands of dollars. Console makers on the other hand lose money on console sales and make up for it with the software (game) sales.Right now there is a huge furor over Ubisoft's new requirement for all new PC games to be connected to authentication servers 24/7 even for SP games. The sad part is, lack of sales and increased piracy due to to it's new DRM could cause Ubi to stop developing PC games thus shrinking the selection of PC games even further. At least one flight sim will not be published by Ubi from what I understand. Oleg Maddox's Shadow of War: Battle of Britain will be published by someone else. Hopefully that will make it to the shelves for us to pick up as a hard copy.

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

Publishers actually make more money on PC games per unit than console games. Publishers have to pay a licensing fee to the console makers just to develop a game for the console. This does not count having to buy multiple development consoles which run in the thousands of dollars. Console makers on the other hand lose money on console sales and make up for it with the software (game) sales.Right now there is a huge furor over Ubisoft's new requirement for all new PC games to be connected to authentication servers 24/7 even for SP games. The sad part is, lack of sales and increased piracy due to to it's new DRM could cause Ubi to stop developing PC games thus shrinking the selection of PC games even further. At least one flight sim will not be published by Ubi from what I understand. Oleg Maddox's Shadow of War: Battle of Britain will be published by someone else. Hopefully that will make it to the shelves for us to pick up as a hard copy.
The problem in that argument is that consoles are much more popular with the consumer than PCs for gaming. While you are correct, you overlook the fact that most gamers are now on consoles, rather than PCs. Hence why it's rare to find a true PC game, and not just a port from the Console version.Oh one note: It's Storm of War: Battle of Britian.

The problem in that argument is that consoles are much more popular with the consumer than PCs for gaming. While you are correct, you overlook the fact that most gamers are now on consoles, rather than PCs. Hence why it's rare to find a true PC game, and not just a port from the Console version.Oh one note: It's Storm of War: Battle of Britian.
Yes, most gamers are on consoles now and why publishers make much more money from console games. The true irony is that all games start out as PC games before being ported to the consoles, just to be ported back to the PC again and usually lack optimization for the PC version.Yeah, I should have remembered it is Storm of War. I don't know where I got Shadow from.

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon