Sign in to follow this  
pete_auau

updating to os64 bit system

Hi at the moment i got an 32 bit system and was thinking of updating to an 64 bit system. Was wondering if this would solve my some times ooms and black squares appearing at airports. Currently i got my settings on half way like auto gen etc in the scenery and traffic set to zero but still have issues with ooms especially when landing at major airports, So if i upgrade would i be able to move my sliders to say 3/4 max. At the moment i get around 11 to 25 fps with pmdg aircrafts. So any imput would be much appricated since i dont wont to waste money if i dont need to do.

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Before you go and do that, have you tried the 3gb switch outlined in this thread? http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 .I am on a Win XP SP2 32 bit system (see sig) and also fly some complex aircraft like the LDS767, however I am able to fly with my UT2 traffic at 100% and most other sliders at or near max and never have OOM's, even at complex airports like KJFK, KLAX, etc.Read the whole thread that I posted the link to and see what other things in there may be of use to you as well. I am not using the exact setting in the /3GB/Userva=2560 adjustment, but am somewhere close to that value.If your going to change to a 64bit system, you might as well upgrade your ram to at least 6gb of DDR3 while your at it to take advantage of the 64 bit system. Changing to 64 bit OS with 2gb of RAM wont help you at all.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Before you go and do that, have you tried the 3gb switch outlined in this thread? http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041 .I am on a Win XP SP2 32 bit system (see sig) and also fly some complex aircraft like the LDS767, however I am able to fly with my UT2 traffic at 100% and most other sliders at or near max and never have OOM's, even at complex airports like KJFK, KLAX, etc.Read the whole thread that I posted the link to and see what other things in there may be of use to you as well. I am not using the exact setting in the /3GB/Userva=2560 adjustment, but am somewhere close to that value.If your going to change to a 64bit system, you might as well upgrade your ram to at least 6gb of DDR3 while your at it to take advantage of the 64 bit system. Changing to 64 bit OS with 2gb of RAM wont help you at all.
thx for ur quick reply trying to find where the boot.ini is located on my pc i tried the seach option but came up empty i got my folders set to disable hiiden folders also found this in he web pages and i can find this on my pc but it has different wording than the link u gave me so wonder if the same thing http://www.solidsmack.com/how-to-suck-all-...-xp/2007-08-23/

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

thx for ur quick reply trying to find where the boot.ini is located on my pc i tried the seach option but came up empty i got my folders set to disable hiiden folders also found this in he web pages and i can find this on my pc but it has different wording than the link u gave me so wonder if the same thing http://www.solidsmack.com/how-to-suck-all-...-xp/2007-08-23/
Yeah that looks to be the same thing, just try the values in the Simforum post first rather than the one posted in the link you gave.

thx for that now i have to get an extra 2 g of ram now b4 i can do it since i have only got 2 at the moment

Peter kelberg

thx for that now i have to get an extra 2 g of ram now b4 i can do it since i have only got 2 at the moment
No, you can use that tweak with only 2 gb of RAM. I have only 2gb also and I have been using since day one that I had FSX and no OOMs.

No, you can use that tweak with only 2 gb of RAM. I have only 2gb also and I have been using since day one that I had FSX and no OOMs.
ah k thx was told by an pc guro who know hes stuff said it will only work if u have 4 g since it will only use 3.25 of it and the rest will be used by windows maybe u are just one of the lucky ones :} thx for ur help much appricated

Peter kelberg

ah k thx was told by an pc guro who know hes stuff said it will only work if u have 4 g since it will only use 3.25 of it and the rest will be used by windows maybe u are just one of the lucky ones :} thx for ur help much appricated
HelloI think you need to find another PC "guro"And maybe a keyboard where all the keys function :(

Tell your PC guru that he is mixing up Windows use of RAM with Windows applications use of Virtual Address Space :(

Bert

Hi at the moment i got an 32 bit system and was thinking of updating to an 64 bit system. Was wondering if this would solve my some times ooms and black squares appearing at airports. Currently i got my settings on half way like auto gen etc in the scenery and traffic set to zero but still have issues with ooms especially when landing at major airports, So if i upgrade would i be able to move my sliders to say 3/4 max. At the moment i get around 11 to 25 fps with pmdg aircrafts. So any imput would be much appricated since i dont wont to waste money if i dont need to do.
Pete,Run, don't walk, to your nearest Internet site and get your hands on Windows7. It will be the best thing you've done since you started using computers. Get the 64-bit version. You won't be sorry. All your software will work. Make sure you upgrade all your drivers to Windows7 versions - especially the graphics software. I can't describe just how great the new OS is. It is soooooooooooooo easy to use - it puts XP and Vista to shame. The other thing you need to do is cram as much memory into your machine as it will take or as much as you can afford. Mucho memory plus Windows7 will get you to the promised land.FrankSpecial note: You know how often you get those change notices for your OS. Well, you hardly ever get an update for Windows7. The only thing you'll have to give up is e-mail and games (solitair and such). Windows7 is a stripped down OS on purpose. Of course you can use Windows Live if you don't have another computer to use e-mail.

Pete,Run, don't walk, to your nearest Internet site and get your hands on Windows7. It will be the best thing you've done since you started using computers. Get the 64-bit version. You won't be sorry. All your software will work. Make sure you upgrade all your drivers to Windows7 versions - especially the graphics software. I can't describe just how great the new OS is. It is soooooooooooooo easy to use - it puts XP and Vista to shame. The other thing you need to do is cram as much memory into your machine as it will take or as much as you can afford. Mucho memory plus Windows7 will get you to the promised land.FrankSpecial note: You know how often you get those change notices for your OS. Well, you hardly ever get an update for Windows7. The only thing you'll have to give up is e-mail and games (solitair and such). Windows7 is a stripped down OS on purpose. Of course you can use Windows Live if you don't have another computer to use e-mail.
HelloWhy would I need to give up Email and games if I moved to W7 ?Email works fine on my wife's W7I would hate to see what size W7 was before they "stripped it down"XP64 size on disk 5.33 GB W7 size on disk 12.3 GB

HelloWhy would I need to give up Email and games if I moved to W7 ?Email works fine on my wife's W7I would hate to see what size W7 was before they "stripped it down"XP64 size on disk 5.33 GB W7 size on disk 12.3 GB
Yes, Windows7 has e-mail - sort of. If you consider Windows Live (see my original post) an e-mail client. Windows7 however, does not have a built-in e-mail client like Windows Mail or Express or whatever. Windows7 also does not have a standard set of games like Spider Solitaire - both XP and Vista had a number of standard games that came with the OS.Perhaps the technical size of Windows7 is in question. However, from a user's perspective, it seems like you have an OS-lite when you use it. It is so much more stable.

Yes, Windows7 has e-mail - sort of. If you consider Windows Live (see my original post) an e-mail client. Windows7 however, does not have a built-in e-mail client like Windows Mail or Express or whatever. Windows7 also does not have a standard set of games like Spider Solitaire - both XP and Vista had a number of standard games that came with the OS.Perhaps the technical size of Windows7 is in question. However, from a user's perspective, it seems like you have an OS-lite when you use it. It is so much more stable.
HelloThe email and games are there you just have to download them this time round.I agree in day to day use it does feel snappy, but part of this is the full use of your graphics card to render the aero interface.If you try it with the classic interface it is slower than XP as they have removed the 2D acceleration from GDI therefore Vector graphics packages CAD ect and 2D games are actually slower under W7.As time goes by I hope that the drivers will settle down as new versions are released, for a new OS release it is very nice.Lets not forget that XP was a different beast once it got to SP2.For now i will stay with XP64 and reinstall W764 when I do my next build.As far as running the Sim goes I find no difference in speed between XP64 and W764, there is a difference in stability as I have problems switching back to the desktop, also when calling up FSuipc and then using the Alt Menu again I still see the outline of the Fsuipc window, this tells me there are some incompatibilities still to be sorted out in the interaction between the OS and the V card drivers.

Mad Dog,You say you can download an e-mail client to work with Windows7? Which one. I scanned the Internet and found a few posts that claimed that Windows Mail would work with 7. I downloaded Windows Mail and it did not work under the 64-bit OS. There were a number of steps described but they didn't work either. I'm having to use a separate computer for my e-mail and I would really like to find a client that would work (other than Live).As for the games - I tried using a number of the standard Vista-version games from my other computers and none of them worked. If you have games what is the secret please?Thanksfb