Sign in to follow this  
gwillmot

Ever Had A Mid-Air Collision With AI?

A recent "problem" with AI aircraft brought an event that happened several years ago to memory.I was flying on autopilot from Dallas Love Field to Houston Hobby. In the distance I noticed a small speck on the screen (I didn't have AI identification text on at the time). At first, I thought it was some dirt on the monitor. As time progressed, it became larger and larger. Eventually, I was nose to nose with a 737......same altitude and exact reverse heading from mine.We hit head-on. Fortunately, there was no loss of life.......only loss of pride. I never even thought of a mid-air collision happening in the sim. I've been flying many years since and it's never happened again.Has this ever happened to any of you?gwillmot

When I began with FS I had a mid air "collision" when an AI aircraft just appeared out of nowhere and crossed in front of me at 90 degrees and I crashed into the side of it. An early lesson on how to always fly with collision detection off (and edit FSPassengers to turn it off also - there are still many people online flying with the default settings).Online there have been one or two close calls. I missed a Fed Ex MD-11 by about 200 feet once when flying a SID he obviously wasn't :( Cheers!Dave

Never collided headon, but several times I've been overtaken while on final resulting in a collision.Bob

I am probably not the only one that has been run over from behind while on final approach, does that count? On one very memorable occasion I did have a most spectacular near miss. While I was at cruise altitude, ATC reported a 777 at one o'clock and before I could react I got real up close and personal with the tail of the 777. The tail completely filled all of the forward view, Delta new colors. I don't get that close even when I am painting one!Regards,Mel

I have had it on VATSIM several times now.Was flown out of the sky by a rogue F16 pilot when on approach to Seattle from Rome,and I wasn't amused.Did teach me to check collisions off,though.With AI I have had so many near misses they're impossible to count,there's some real bad AI pilots flying.Or maybe I'm the bad pilot.One thing I know for sure is that whenever I pick up another aircraft I make sure I'm either a 1000 feet or more above,or a 1000 feet or more below.

In FSX I used to have a lot. MyTraffic added so many aircraft to my skies, that I got a Traffic Alert from ATC every five minutes, and once it was a near-miss. Now it doesn't happen as often, partly because of the TCAS in the planes I tend to fly (PMDG, etc) and the fact that I don't have MyTraffic for FS9, resulting in much less planes flying in my virtual skies. And yes, I do have collision detection turned off.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Or this one....

AI smooth got rid of the AI over taking me on final. FSUIPC has a nice traffic zapper too (for reg versions). Helps with those pesky AI who like to bud into line or act like your not there while you taxi.

Guest FredGherkin

Perhaps a screenshot "near miss" thread would be interesting.

This is interesting, I've never had a near miss with AI at cruising altitude. I've solved the problem with AI overtaking me on approach by landing at a faster speed than them if I get a good heads up their behind me. A well known utility spaces out the AI around airports to a point this is usually not a problem. The problem I have more than anything is on approach to airports like KDFW and KATL AI still on the runway when I'm on short final. I solved this as well by requesting an alternate approach/runway when given clearance to what runway ATC is going to vector me into final. Landing on an alternate active usually results in zero conflict with AI aircraft.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

That's funny because I almost had one yesterday. I was on the vatsim network at MSP. I was went to take off at runway 30L and in about 80-90 knots I saw a delta 767 rolling on runway 22. I saw him about I would say 400 feet ahead just right out of the co-pilot window! I think he rotated early too avoid me and I was ready to go on the grass. Then about 10NM from the Minneapolis airport after I took off I saw him AGAIN; this time about 200-700 feet above me 5 miles out! My TCAS was screaming at me. It's really something on how I never encounter hardly any traffic on a normal day; but once you do get traffic, especially on departure, your adrenaline pumping somewhat and your mouth cursing like a sailor.

One thing that I've noticed is if I stay on the exact heading of the runway that I took off from, I might end up with a head on. Even though I was given a runway to take off on, I'm beging to wonder if the wind has shifted and other aircraft are now being cleared in the opposite direction?Mark

Midair collision happened to me once while climbing shortly after takeoff. The most funny one was on the ground though: I remember it was late in the evening, I had decided to start a long haul flight, from europe to tokyo Narita, Japan. Quite a long flight, and preparing everyhting took me not less than an hour. Finally cleared for taxi, night time, with a heavy loaded pmdg 747, lined up the runway, pushed the throttle, stabilized, full thurst, rolling, and a second before v1 noticed a 757 - I saw only the illuminated tail right in front of me - crossing the runway: that was the end of the fligh. I switched the pc off and went to bed, laughing frankly of how short the flight had been. Noone survived I guess, not even the chickens in the 757 DHL's freighter. I 've recently set the FSUIPC traffic zapper, really funny and usefull. gotta love the sound it makes when you shoot an AI away: zbam!