Sign in to follow this  
Fritz Bayerlein

MD-11 locks up during ILS approaches

I have had this happen on 4 of 5 attempts to fly. During an ILS approach (either DUAL LAND autoland or manual flying) the MD-11 is locking up FSX. When it locks up I then see the mouse pointer busy/working symbol on the center of the screen and the only way to proceed is to close FS via the task manager. Of course this is a legitimately purchased copy from the PMDG website.The lockup occurs during short final, usually under 1500ft AGL and a bit after I get the green box on the EAD. I am running FSX in Windows Vista 32bit, with 4GIG of memory and 4GHz CPU. Also have an NVIDIA GTX280 video card. It is very disturbing to fly for hours only to lock up on the most interesting phase of flight. Please help!Following airports have experienced the lockup:KONT 26LKSDF 35R/35LKCLTKDFW 36LThank you,Shane Olguin

Guest sixfourty

I used to get alot of lockups with the MD-11 using DirectX 10 preview. Havent had a single lockup since i switched to DX9

Shane, interesting user name.What is Vista telling you? I assume FSX gets shut down as a non-responsive app by Vista. Which module is cause the crash?OOMs are more likely after long flights. Just wondering if that is what you are seeing.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Shane! Long time no hear :( Are you using any graphics programs like REX or ASA? My system crashes have gone way down since I uninstalled REX and switched to ASA without the ASA graphics, I just have to be careful about switching views too much/too fast and such. As final approach is likely heavy on graphics as well as CPU power, I would cut back on any resource heavy add ons if you have them. Good to see you are still alive, SON!

Bill Howard

pmdg_trijet.jpg

I've had this issue many times. It's always been the same solution..... as mentioned above, cut down on some FSX overheads.On my PC, FSX + high settings + PMDG MD-11 + assorted misc addons = System Overload. When it happens on my PC, the sounds turn into a constant 'buzz' also.Sometimes it even necessitates a hard reset!Time for a hardware upgrade me thinks :(