Sign in to follow this  
MikeNK

considering some upgrades -- feedback requested

Guest SK8TRBOI747

Geez...so this is what Phil had to put up with back in 2007? - you'd think knowledge would have improved by now. No wonder he stopped responding to posts.For the terminally DX10, Vista Win7, "modern world", um, "challenged", let's hear from the guy who actually wrote the program (FSX SP1, SP2 and Acceleration), the esteemed Mr. Phil Taylor of the former ACES (he's now with the Intel on the Larabbee team - yes, Larabbee still exists):On SP2 and DX10, for those who doubt features, improvements, and the real reason it's called "Preview" (hint: not because it's broken), "etc., etc.":"I want to make clear two important details about the DX10 part of Acceleration and SP2:1) From a feature perspective, we do not match the magic screenies item-for-item because those screenies ignored an important visual element

HelloYes patrick we know all of that Phil taylor post off by heart.Still does not explain the broken parts of FSX though.Run me through why windows 7 memory model is better for a 32bit app, as you seem a pretty knowledgeable chapit is clear from your posts that you are a lot brighter than most of us here, comes through loud and clear from your condescending tone.89 posts, give me a break

Guest djt01
FSX-SP2 DX10 The features we do have are: 1) VC shadows 2) HDR Bloom 3) Water enhancements 4) Efficiency improvements via more Autogen batching, more efficient shaders, and a more efficient method of generating bloom.
Out of those

Guest SK8TRBOI747
HelloYes patrick we know all of that Phil taylor post off by heart.Still does not explain the broken parts of FSX though.Run me through why windows 7 memory model is better for a 32bit app, as you seem a pretty knowledgeable chapit is clear from your posts that you are a lot brighter than most of us here, comes through loud and clear from your condescending tone.89 posts, give me a break
Ouch! That stung. You brute! :(Hit a nerve have we? You're taking this much too personally mad dog, much too personally. Straying from facts and attacking strangers...stooping to that level makes you sound a bit desperate. Give it a rest, go fly, loosen-up - it's a video simulation we're talking here.And 89 posts - yeah, I spend my time flying(!) and programming. Quality over quantity, don't you know, mad dog!Oh, and by all means, stay out of the noonday sun! :( Cheers!

Ouch! That stung. You brute! :(Hit a nerve have we? You're taking this much too personally mad dog, much too personally. Straying from facts and attacking strangers...stooping to that level makes you sound a bit desperate. Give it a rest, go fly, loosen-up - it's a video simulation we're talking here.And 89 posts - yeah, I spend my time flying(!) and programming. Quality over quantity, don't you know, mad dog!Oh, and by all means, stay out of the noonday sun! :( Cheers!
HelloNo nerve hit , patrickIts just the tone of your posts tends to come across as talking down to folks, there really is no need.

Guest SK8TRBOI747
89 posts, give me a break
Condescending? And the above isn't? Yes, there really is no need.Regards,

Guest Shockwave

Smart aleck know at all pretender comments of "Mr. Programmer I Am" are only putting this guy deeper in the hole that he fell into as soon he opened his mouth, some of these post read like they were written by a two year old.Putting down other highly experienced FS forum members is pathetic though and then to come back and try to twist things and act like a hypocrite was just another dumb move."Quality over quantity" LOL! This person is a judge of Quality? DX-preview mode offers the least image quality compared to DX9 mode where AA can be chosen as well as other filtering that DX10-preview can

Guest SK8TRBOI747

Entertaining? Absolutely! Let's run it down:Shockwave = XenophobeDtj01 = SycophantI've also noticed that the lot of you exhibit "keyboard courage" - none of you has the stones to use you're full real name. Plus, your collective lack of tolerance for someone who holds a different opinion than you hold on a friggin' game is...pathetic. It does a disservice to folks who are honestly looking for different opinions and ideas here.I must have seriously gotten through to all of you else y'all wouldn't be spending so much time flaming. If my "Programmer Am I" posts were so screwy and 'wrong' to you, one would think I'd just be ignored...instead you feel the need to flame and rant. Again, must have touched a nerve somewhere (maybe knowledge of how these programs and O/s's work together? Who knows - but y'all are riled about something). :( So - Success! FSX Rules! DX10 "Preview" Forever! Down with Outdated Tweaks! Up with Flying the planes! :( SK8TRBOI747, signing off...

Guest WarpAir

To the OPMy adviceIf you can build yourself, its better , cause you dont pay labour , so can buy better parts.Just built my first PC after getting crazy quotes from PC builders, and being told what i should want instead of what i wanted built.Win764-i7975@4.4Ghz-Noctua ND14 Cooler- GTx285 -(2x Fan controllers) and 10 fans - Mostly noctua 140mm.Gigabyte UD7 MoboLian Li Suond Proof case.D6 gig ddr3 dominator gt 2000Mhz Ram1500 Watt PSUWhen simming FSX you are looking for a speacial kind of PC , not off the shelf stuff, and many custom builders cant do this for you either.For example My Noctua CPU cooler originally came with with 1x120mm and 1 x 140mm noctua cooling fans attached to the heat sink.I replaced the heat sink fans with 3 x140 mm Noctua Fans for cpu heat sink cooling alone. compared to 1x120 and 1 x 140mm. Much better cpu cooling.After some google research on the science of Air flow inside a PC case, i arranged all the 10 cooling fans in PC to take advantage of PC being just under the window where cool air comes into the room. effectivly The PC sucks all virgin cool air coming in the room via window with 6 x 140mm nocuta fans and shoots out hot air via exhaust, which is CPU heatsink and fan asembly of 3 x 140mm noctua fans.Six 140 mmfans bringing air in 3 x140mm taking air out, means dust also gets pushed out of the case along with the heat.purchased two fan controllers to control ten fans, and along with that came 9 temperature probes which i placed exactly where i wanted (something no pc builder or off the shelf pc wil do for you.) After using up 5 temp probes from 1 fan controller for cpu/gpu/ram/north bridge/ Hard drive........ the other four temp pobes from other fan controller i used to monitor temps in areas where air was coming into and out the case. Having temp probes and full control on fans via fan controller makes a very big difference. Added air ducts using tape and cardboard to direct the air to just where its needed. No custom builder or off the shelf pc will do that for you.You dont need more than 6 gig of ram for fsx, but you need the fastest ram you ccan afford at 6 gig ddr3. As you push your cpu speed up , you need to push your ram speed up too to keep up.Important to get a system that can be OC'd to the nth level, then get components you can afford, by that i mean, Get case with good air flow technology, and lots of fans if air cooling. Not just any fans, but bigger the better, size not quantity.Get fastest Ram .Get Best cpu cooler you can affford.This means when you OC you already have the infasructure for OC, no slow ram to slow you down, or poor air flow case to hold you back. Or even a poor cpu heatsink that makes you sweat when you OC.If you are an FSX simmer, life is much much much easier when you make the step to building yourself. Or you have deep pockets and get custom AlienWare Stuff builf for you. Either way off the shelf is hit and miss for FSX.10 Fans, running in my case, i opted for lian li case that comes with sound proofing to keep noise down, but i went to pc shop and purchased extra sound proof pads to things even more silent. The PC is more quiet than my old Antec 300 case with 2 fans and no sound proofing. But am also using quiet Noctua fans. No Pc builder or off the shelf will fit you sound proofing pads exactly where you want.Reaching 4.4Ghz on Air, i can tell you i dont want to hear the words "Liquid cooling ever again" , Costs too much,too messy, and takes up space.Get a PC platform that will help you OC, then buy the rest of the stuff, i mean good cooling, lots of power supply, Fast ram. Then just buy the CPU you can afford and OC the heck out of it. Wait a year then buy the cpu that just dropped 50% in price as upgrade.Beofre the build , On here at Avsim someone said i should look into building pc myself, i replied too much hassle and too scared to break things. But i took the plunge, yes i did break things, but i got better each time, and all the cash i spent on the build was on components not labour. Trick is , once you can get your head around the mother board manual, that is 99% of it done. Gigabyte MObo's are sweet in that respect. But then so are most new MObo's , they are designed for novices interms of building and OCing.EDIT: BIG BIG THANKS TO ALL THOSE YOUTUBE VIDS TO HELP ME WITH MY FIRST PC BUILD..COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOUTUBE.. NOT AT ALL

I'm contemplating the new build idea further, and had a couple questions:1) Deciding between versions of the 900 series Intel i7 CPU - a lot of the commentary out there seems to say that there isn't much advantage in going for models over the 920 (2.6 GHz stock) because the 920s are easily OC'able to 4+ GHz with proper cooling. Is that the experience of folks around these parts? Would the pricier models have more headroom, or are they just setup at a higher "base" so that they can run faster without oc'ing? I guess the short version of this is -- if one is going to invest in the right components to do serious oc'ing (good mobo, cooling, power supply, RAM), is there any reason to spend the cash for the more expensive versions of the 900 series CPUs?2) Is the CPU multiplier locked on the non-extreme versions of the i7s? I thought I saw someone in this forum saying that at least certain batches of the 920s (the "DO" batch?) wasn't locked. What's the deal here?3) Power supply - is something in the neighborhood of 750W sufficient if I'm going for a fairly "standard" hardware setup -- i.e. I'm not going to have 10 hardrives and a kitchen sink in there. I've been reading some commentary that when oc'ing its not usually the lack of power that's the issue but how "clean" the power is. thanks againMike