Sign in to follow this  
ShezA

SF2k4...No "scenery library" tab???

Guest PaulL01

I have build 30612 02 and apparently it might be bugy as MS is sending me all new software for other reasons related to install issues only...But I have to ask, do the rest of you have access to the scenery library from with-in FS at all or like me only thru the main startup page/settings/scenery library?If the scenery library can only be accessed thru the main startup page the that really suxors! As that means you haave to completely shut the sim down and restart it just to see the changes you have made.I Take it that there where no scenery designers on the beta team? LOL

Guest WorkingStiff

Well you can always use the FlightEnd Flight menu command to get back to the startup screen but you are absolutely correct...there is no option to get to the Scenery Library from within the simulator. That is a whopper.....

"....I Take it that there where no scenery designers on the beta team?...."Rest assured I was, but Microsoft decided to remove the scenery configuration menu, and you can only access it now from the main screen. Also, any scenery changes you do make will only "take" if you restart FS2004. Nope, this is not a bug--it is by Microsoft's design. The beta testers on the team were just that--testers, not decision makers. I'm not happy with the new change--it makes it harder to roll out landclass and test it. But I guess we're all stuck with it, as that's what the MSFS team chose to do.... -JohnBTW--shameless plug for Landclass Assistant. Version 1.4 is in the final stages, and will now interface with FS2002/FS2004 via FSConnect.

It is understandable though: they want to emphasize that we must shut down the sim for any change we make to the Scenery Library, as per the highlighted red message that appears in its dialog box. In FS2002, if you change more than one entry at a time in the Library, this could cause oddities in the scenery, as I have experienced in some occasions.

Guest PaulL01

Hi Naji,"It is understandable though: they want to emphasize that we must shut down the sim for any change we make to the Scenery Library, as per the highlighted red message that appears in its dialog box. In FS2002, if you change more than one entry at a time in the Library, this could cause oddities in the scenery, as I have experienced in some occasions."Understandable? LOL!I take you do not do any scenery design, this slows down the process ten fold!

>I take you do not do any scenery design...:)It is a pain, but many a time in FS2002, I thought better to re-start the sim after some changes to the Library, just to be sure that the changes have been implemented.Scenery design???! What is that? :)

Guest PaulL01

Hi Naji,There are many a session when I have refreshed the scenery library once every ten minuts for a whole day and on into the night, this really bites! :(

Guest crashing_pilot

>>I take you do not do any scenery design...>>>:)>>>>Scenery design???! What is that? :)>:-lol :-lol oh thou of little knowledge :-lolgood one Naji ;-)

Guest PaulL01

Hi Chris,I am refering to adding custom terrain textures and 3D-objects to a custom scenery folder/with texture and scenery folders.

Guest PaulL01

Hi Chris,I am refering to adding custom terrain textures and 3D-objects to a custom scenery folder/with texture and scenery folders.

Hi Paul.Chris is right about issues we had with FS2002 and autogen. With the increased role of autogen in FS2004, the best solution probably was to force a restart when adding or disabling scenery.The autogen was affected by adding 3D objects, runways, etc... and it led to many posts about autogen exclusions that were actually false exclusions. When the sim was restarted, the autogen reappeared.This was a designer's bug, as it would hardly ever affect the end-user of the scenery ( they seldom activate and deactivate scenery folders like designer's do ).Dick

Paul, the scenery designers on the beta team share your concerns, and have been disappointed about this change also. We aren't allowed to discuss the goings on within the beta process, so I can't say much more...but understand that scenery design was represented on the beta team...and we worked hard to detect the problems with the product.I decided, some time ago, that I'd do the bulk of my modelling testing in fs2k2, and use fscof only as a final check just for the ability to conveniently refresh. For terrain, perhaps it won't work...but for models it sure will.Best,Bob BernsteinEdmonds, Wa

Guest PaulL01

Thanks everyone for the explanations. I Guess I will just have to live with it then? :)