Sign in to follow this  
terrypin

Getting into Autopilot mode?

The NAV/GPS switch in step 1 is to set the autopilot to follow the course in the GPS instead of the NAV1 radio. The NAV button on the autopilot simply turns on the autopilots course following parts.Ctrl+Shift+F1 means no fuel, which obviously means the engines turn off. Now, in real life, a lot of people wouldn't be too happy if you stopped on the runway with your engines off

So there really is no single hotkey that will switch on AP and start flying the flight plan at the current altitude? (What, lazy, moi?)
LOL No, there isn't such a hotkey. :(
Thanks, I'm calling it a day but will report back tomorrow. I do have a joystick, although I don't believe it controls throttle.
What joystick do you have?

LOL No, there isn't such a hotkey. :( What joystick do you have?
It's a Speedlinkhttp://www.speed-link.com/?p=2&cat=314...0204&paus=1On studying FSX Options > Settings > Controls I found this:I think I set it that way ages ago, to make it more consistent with its use in slew mode (rotation). BTW, I don't know what 'dial' refers to. There's no other rotating control on this joystick. Anyway I've now changed it so that it does alter throttle, at least for now.The remaining problem is braking. If I land and use F1 to cut the throttle (but don't want to use Ctl+Sh+F1 to remove power completely) how do I get my aircraft to stop? Pressing . to "Apply/Release" brakes briefly shows the word 'Brakes' in red, bottom left. But then plane doesn't stop moving along the ground. Also, I still don't know how to tell whether the brakes are On or Off!--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

The remaining problem is braking. If I land and use F1 to cut the throttle (but don't want to use Ctl+Sh+F1 to remove power completely) how do I get my aircraft to stop? Pressing . to "Apply/Release" brakes briefly shows the word 'Brakes' in red, bottom left. But then plane doesn't stop moving along the ground. Also, I still don't know how to tell whether the brakes are On or Off!
The brake (.) works as a real brake: just clicking it once will only briefly apply brakes. It's not a toggle: you don't turn the brakes on or off: you apply them! Like in a car you will have to keep applying the brakes, so press that key (.) and keep it pressed until you have slowed down enough (you will see that red word all the time). It's not common practice to come to a complete stand on the runway: you should clear the runway when speed is low enough and when there is an exit.) When you are stopped and want to put on the parking brake, press ctrl-. (that's control-dot): that one IS a toggle: you will see a red message that the parking brake is 'on'.

The brake (.) works as a real brake: just clicking it once will only briefly apply brakes. It's not a toggle: you don't turn the brakes on or off: you apply them! Like in a car you will have to keep applying the brakes, so press that key (.) and keep it pressed until you have slowed down enough (you will see that red word all the time). It's not common practice to come to a complete stand on the runway: you should clear the runway when speed is low enough and when there is an exit.) When you are stopped and want to put on the parking brake, press ctrl-. (that's control-dot): that one IS a toggle: you will see a red message that the parking brake is 'on'.
Thanks Jeroen, the penny drops! That makes sense at last.Re your advice about runways: don't forget that I'm using FSX in a most unusual fashion! Mainly for sight-seeing and planning walks/tours, or reviewing actual ones. A complement to using Memory-Map and Google Earth and other map and GPS tools. Mainly in slew mode, although I confess I'm getting more enthusiastic each day about slow flying. So I don't spend much time on runways, but quite a lot puttering around the Sussex, Surrey or Kent countryside (scenery from Horizon).It was a revelation to find that FSX simulates gravity so well. Great fun! Until now, before you put me straight about the brakes, I've been stopping either by cutting all fuel (Ctl+Sh+F1) or by pointing my Trike to a suitable hill! Snag with that is that, unless I've chosen very carefully, I sart rolling backwards again.BTW, is there some subtle trick to using F1? I find it slows the engine but it picks up again. Should I have to keep F1 pressed?--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

F1 - cut throttle to zero (press once)F2 - decrease throttle (press and hold to repeat)F3 - increase throttle (press and hold to repeat)F4 - full throttle immediately (press once)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

F1 - cut throttle to zero (press once)
Thanks, but my point was that this doesn't appear to work. As I said, it reduces throttle (obviously not to zero though, or it would shut off!) and then increases again after 3 or 4 seconds. It's consistent here (with the Trike).--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Guest napamule

So you are using F1. But your stick has a throttle 'wheel'. Did you EVER try using that wheel as throttle? If you calibrate stick, do you move that wheel 'full travel' (0 to 100 %) while at that part of calibration? You should. See pic below. If you don't want to use it (now that you 'found' it) then you MUST set it to '0' (zero) and wedge it in place (or duct tape it) where wheel does not move or FSX(and maybe FSUIPC) will 'read' any input (accidental or not) and you will have sporadic, and irratic, throttle control even if using F1 thru F4 keys. Move it around yourself (or let kids play with it) and then go try to use F1 thru F4 to comfirm. The IMPORTANT thing: Set to Zero in calibration. Wedge or tape it down. Go back to calibration and make sure it says 'Zero' in the wedged or taped down 'position' when looking in calibration for throttle 'wheel'.CBNapamule

So you are using F1. But your stick has a throttle 'wheel'. Did you EVER try using that wheel as throttle? If you calibrate stick, do you move that wheel 'full travel' (0 to 100 %) while at that part of calibration? You should. See pic below. If you don't want to use it (now that you 'found' it) then you MUST set it to '0' (zero) and wedge it in place (or duct tape it) where wheel does not move or FSX(and maybe FSUIPC) will 'read' any input (accidental or not) and you will have sporadic, and irratic, throttle control even if using F1 thru F4 keys. Move it around yourself (or let kids play with it) and then go try to use F1 thru F4 to comfirm. The IMPORTANT thing: Set to Zero in calibration. Wedge or tape it down. Go back to calibration and make sure it says 'Zero' in the wedged or taped down 'position' when looking in calibration for throttle 'wheel'.CBNapamule
As I said in post #18 up-thread, the wheel was set to the Rudder. "I think I set it that way ages ago, to make it more consistent with its use in slew mode (rotation)." I did then briefly experiment with it as a throttle control instead, but quickly returned it to rudder. I only use it for Slew mode anyway. So obviously I don't want to 'duct tape' it! (BTW, I still don't know what 'dial' refers to in that earlier screenshot?)Anyone with any thoughts about my queries re F1 please? With a Trike stationary on the ground, RPM reads 3927. If I briefly press F1 it drops to about 1900 but immediately climbs again to around 3925, all of that taking about 5 seconds. If I hold F1 pressed for about 30 seconds, RPM gets down eventually to about 700. But after releasing F1, in about 5 seconds it climbs quickly back up to 3925.So F1 on my setup here doesn't work as you described or as FSX documentation (and my book 'Tips, Tricks and Trips') says. F2, F3 and F4 also behave in a similar 'temporary' way. For example, briefly pressing F1 gives a 10 second increase to about 6500, which then drops rapidly back to about 3925. So there seems no way to change engine speed permanently?--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Anyone with any thoughts about my queries re F1 please? With a Trike stationary on the ground, RPM reads 3927. If I briefly press F1 it drops to about 1900 but immediately climbs again to around 3925, all of that taking about 5 seconds. If I hold F1 pressed for about 30 seconds, RPM gets down eventually to about 700. But after releasing F1, in about 5 seconds it climbs quickly back up to 3925.So F1 on my setup here doesn't work as you described or as FSX documentation (and my book 'Tips, Tricks and Trips') says. F2, F3 and F4 also behave in a similar 'temporary' way. For example, briefly pressing F1 gives a 10 second increase to about 6500, which then drops rapidly back to about 3925. So there seems no way to change engine speed permanently?--Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Did you already try all this with the joystick disconnected? See what happens then!

Did you already try all this with the joystick disconnected? See what happens then!
No, I hadn't tried that, but I have now, thanks! Happily that immediately restores predictable behaviour of F1-F4, which is great news. In particular, F1 now takes RPM down to about 700 and stays there.I'm tempted to leave the joystick unplugged and get into the habit of using the keys exclusively. Another advantage would be to free up desk space. And remove the hassle of keeping its suction pads in place. On the other hand, it's not such a natural way of flying is it? And it is easy enough to toggle On/Off with Ctl+K. (Although I see no way of later knowing at a glance whether it's On or Off?)Do any experienced FSX users dispense with the joystick?--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

No, I hadn't tried that, but I have now, thanks! Happily that immediately restores predictable behaviour of F1-F4, which is great news. In particular, F1 now takes RPM down to about 700 and stays there.I'm tempted to leave the joystick unplugged and get into the habit of using the keys exclusively. Another advantage would be to free up desk space. And remove the hassle of keeping its suction pads in place. On the other hand, it's not such a natural way of flying is it? And it is easy enough to toggle On/Off with Ctl+K. (Although I see no way of later knowing at a glance whether it's On or Off?)Do any experienced FSX users dispense with the joystick?--Terry, East Grinstead, UK
No, experienced FSX users will not dispense a joystick or a similiar controller. Nor should not-experienced users. ;) It's a must for serious flying. And not so serious flying. ;)Now we know the joystick is the problem, you might want to review the ingame settings for it. It's clear that the throttle is assigned to a button or whatever: see if it is and then delete that assignement. You also might want to recalibrate the stick. It HAS to be possible to have F1 to F4 working well with the joystick attached!

No, experienced FSX users will not dispense a joystick or a similiar controller. Nor should not-experienced users. ;) It's a must for serious flying. And not so serious flying. ;)Now we know the joystick is the problem, you might want to review the ingame settings for it. It's clear that the throttle is assigned to a button or whatever: see if it is and then delete that assignement. You also might want to recalibrate the stick. It HAS to be possible to have F1 to F4 working well with the joystick attached!
I think I finally have it sorted! ( I don't fully understand it, but I now get correct operation.)This is how Calibration was set up, i.e. using the defaults which I hadn't changed:I've now altered it so that the 'Throttle Axis' entry looks like the others:I can now use F1-F4 properly.I've also deleted the joystick assignment of Throttle to 'dial' under the Control Axes tab.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Guest napamule

Terrypin,NO, don't get rid of your joystick. But do STOP trying to make a (throttle) slider be a (rudder) control ('for slew only'). Don't make sense. Why? Because you can use your NumPad keys (1 & 3 + 5) , OR YOUR JOY'S twist (RUDDER control) to slew around. Put the throttle control back on the 'slider' (so you can CALIBRATE your joystick throttle. As long as the 'rudder' is assigned to the slider you won't be able to CALIBRATE your joy. Key word is CALIBRATE. Then you can WEDGE (somehow-doesn't have to be duct tape) in place IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE F1-F4 keys. Believe me. I speak from experience. LISTEN up.And the sliders should be 100% SENSITIVITY, with 0% null for elevator and aerlions. The RUDDER should be set to 95% SENSITIVITY, and 5% null. You will enjoy flying much more this way, including helicopter flying. You can fly anything with these settings-ANYTHING. All. Set it and forget it. Use the F1-F4 keys if you want, BUT ONLY IF YOU SET THROTTLE (which is a large part of your 'problems') TO ZERO AND WEDGE THAT SLIDER. Other wise you get spikes (RPM) and erratic behavior. The joy slider is getting crossed with rudder and that can't be good. Put it back. And ALWAYS read the manual that comes with any and all of any hardware. RTFM. Hope you sort it out. But it's really a 'no brainer'- you are trying to make joy (slider) do what it wasn't MEANT to do. Get it? Ok!CBNapamule

Terrypin,NO, don't get rid of your joystick. But do STOP trying to make a (throttle) slider be a (rudder) control ('for slew only'). Don't make sense. Why? Because you can use your NumPad keys (1 & 3 + 5) , OR YOUR JOY'S twist (RUDDER control) to slew around. Put the throttle control back on the 'slider'
Sorry, you've lost me napamule! What is this 'JOY'S twist (RUDDER control)' you mention? Also, by ''slider'? do you mean 'wheel'? I only have one variable control on my joystick (apart from the stick itself, which controls X and Y axes) and that's the wheel. The one you showed yourself in your picture in post #23. Previously I've had the rudder assigned to it, as shown in my screenshots, which works in both Slew and Fly modes. For the latter, I've now changed that to the throttle, as per your recommendation, to try it out as an alternative to using F1-F4.
(so you can CALIBRATE your joystick throttle. As long as the 'rudder' is assigned to the slider you won't be able to CALIBRATE your joy. Key word is CALIBRATE. Then you can WEDGE (somehow-doesn't have to be duct tape) in place IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE F1-F4 keys. Believe me. I speak from experience. LISTEN up.
I still don't follow that. Why would I want to 'wedge' the wheel? As already discussed, I suspect its mechanics or potentiometer is flakey, and that's the cause of the unstable rotation in slew mode. But I just hit Numpad 5 to freeze it now.
And the sliders should be 100% SENSITIVITY, with 0% null for elevator and aerlions. The RUDDER should be set to 95% SENSITIVITY, and 5% null.
But I've just changed the Z-axis to Throttle, as you recommend, so how can I control Rudder with the joystick as well? Or are you talking about the Keyboard Sensitivity section (although that doesn't have any nulls)?--Terry, East Grinstead, UK