Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnopaulo

No speed reduction reverse thrust on landing

Guest johnopaulo

Hi, its me again. Ok I have tried over 20 times today to land the MD 11 on various flights with autopilot. I thought I was doing something wrong so just to be correct I also tried the tutorials and the same problem. The aircraft on approach does not reduce the speed I have to do it manually. Altthough it intercepts the loc and glideslope fine. I have to arm autoland again after the loc intercept It will not reduce height. But on landing unless I disengage autopilot It maintain landing speed of 180. I have to reduce the descent rate step by step and on minimums I disengage auto pilot and manually kill the throttles via my joystick. Any Ideas?Thanks again for your input, this forum is great.Paul Marshall

The PROF-based speed is tied to your flaps. It should automatically decrease as you increase flaps.However, I always set the speed myself in a terminal area since ATC is usually issuing speed constraints anyway, I slow to 220 within 20nm and then set the speeds myself in the pattern and on the flap deployments ending up with a Vref+10 setting on final approach. I don't like automation replacing me, rather prefer automation to assist me.

Dan Downs KCRP

I don't like automation replacing me, rather prefer automation to assist me.
I think this is the quote of the week!Although, like you I'm sure, I love the advanced systems, I also prefer to be as involved as I can be. Only thing I do differently is Vref + headwind. It's an old habit I've been doing since another product back in FS2002. The Vref + 10 is more widely used and a more orthodox method, like I said mine is just habit and in some cases possibly even a bad habit, but I like the "slight" extra math step I need to do :)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier