Sign in to follow this  
StoneC0ld

Real-world weather clarification on possible issue

(Posted this on the RTWR main site forum, cross-posting here...)Let's say, for example, that the weather servers go down for some reason. When FS9 encounters this, it will *pause* with an error message. And, to the best of my knowledge, pausing flight simulator invalidates the flight in the Duenna.What happens if something like this happens and invalidates an otherwise good flight? Will the flight still count? Or will it fall into the same category as computer crashes, and force a wingman transfer or re-fly?

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

(Posted this on the RTWR main site forum, cross-posting here...)Let's say, for example, that the weather servers go down for some reason. When FS9 encounters this, it will *pause* with an error message. And, to the best of my knowledge, pausing flight simulator invalidates the flight in the Duenna.What happens if something like this happens and invalidates an otherwise good flight? Will the flight still count? Or will it fall into the same category as computer crashes, and force a wingman transfer or re-fly?
Pausing does not invalidate the Duenna. Just unpause, and continue.

Pausing does not invalidate the Duenna. Just unpause, and continue.
Oh, ok.... Thought it did, or at least if it was paused long enough...

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Pausing doesn't invalidate the duenna but if an error MSG pops up and stays up long enough then I believe the duena looses contact with flightsim causing it to invalidate.

spacer.png

There are a couple of terms that need clarification."Pausing" the sim ( as in hitting the "P" key) will show in the Duenna (advancing times with no advance in the aircraft). That is one reason it is strongly suggested that all those common keyboard commands should be re-mapped to awkward combinations ( like CTRL+SHFT+P for Pause) so that inadvertent inputs don't mess up your flight.The Error Msg "Flight Simulator cannot download Real World Weather" (or whatever it says) is only an alert that a problem has been encountered. It hides the view of the sim so you really notice the message and respond. Only, as others have said, if it is ignored ( you went to watch 1:30 of the Olympics) will the sim eventually believe that it has lost function and potentially stop reacting.As always in the event of an unusual occurrence, make notes, at the completion of the flight save the Flight Analysis, and if necessary post an explanation. In addition, if you get the Wx Download error msg, check your internet connection - your ISP may have broken the link, your router may have failed or interrupted, the cat may have sat on your cable, you may have had a momentary power failure.. :(

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.

Member | Executive Committee

Microsoft Flight Simulator Around-the-World Race

the cat may have sat on your cable
I had that happen to me the other day.. sat on my ethernet cable and it poped out of the back of my machine.. :(

spacer.png