Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Catalyst 10.2 = forced AF fixed on Radeon 4 series

Ok here's the report:Good news:CCC forced AF is fixed.Bad news:Adaptive AA is still broken, trees shimmering etc.Vsync still doesn't work correctly - it's not limiting the framerate to the refresh rate when set to unlimited and still exhibits tearing.The weird lines through GDI+ gauges are still there but they look different to me now than with previous drivers, they're in different locations on our MD-11 panel than they were in previous drivers.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest FlyingBits
Ok here's the report:Good news:CCC forced AF is fixed.Bad news:Adaptive AA is still broken, trees shimmering etc.Vsync still doesn't work correctly - it's not limiting the framerate to the refresh rate when set to unlimited and still exhibits tearing.The weird lines through GDI+ gauges are still there but they look different to me now than with previous drivers, they're in different locations on our MD-11 panel than they were in previous drivers.
Hi Ryan,Sorry to hear.BTW: Are you testing on a 4 or a 5 series?Thanks,

10.2 AF and Adaptive AA works on Windows XP x64 but not in my Win 7 x64. Using 5870

10.2 AF and Adaptive AA works on Windows XP x64 but not in my Win 7 x64. Using 5870
I think it works ok on the 5 series cards anyway from posts I have read here, I think its the 4 series cards that have this problem. I myself can not have the Adaptive AA enabled anyway as my PC is not high end anymore so for me its too much of a performance hit but I was happy with the fact that at least I could set AA and AF again but I did wonder about the shimmering. I just wish there was a tool like nhancer for ATI cards.Craig

Adaptive AA is purely a video card thing though, shouldn't affect performance much at all because it's done completely on the GPU and FSX barely uses the GPU - AAA (or what Nvidia calls Transparency AA) applies antialiasing to alpha-test textures, which are what the trees, power pylons and other things are made with in the engine. If those aren't AAed, they shimmer like crazy as the scene moves.I am on a 4 series at the moment, yes - 4870 512MB.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I'm having a problem with AA also on my 4870, http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=277051 I do remember awhile ago reading a post that at some point, the AA in the driver was working but I can't find it to actually test the driver version. I love my ATI 4870, but the AA makes my FS experience very unenjoyable. I'm thinking of getting an nvidia card, but from what I've been reading, they are having trouble also so I'm not sure which I should go with. I hate to replace a great card, but if this AA issue doesn't get resolved, I'll have no choice.Jeremy

I'm having a problem with AA also on my 4870, http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=277051 I do remember awhile ago reading a post that at some point, the AA in the driver was working but I can't find it to actually test the driver version. I love my ATI 4870, but the AA makes my FS experience very unenjoyable. I'm thinking of getting an nvidia card, but from what I've been reading, they are having trouble also so I'm not sure which I should go with. I hate to replace a great card, but if this AA issue doesn't get resolved, I'll have no choice.Jeremy
I also feel the same way about FSX and ATI cards. Do AA and forced V-sync work using Nvidia cards? If so, could the issue be ATI drivers (CCC)? Some folks in the ATI forum ask about computer specs, and I had recommended Nvidia cards because, I think, the FSX developers also used Nvidia cards to write and test the codes. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall an important role Nvidia played in FSX - development or demonstration? Why are there so many flight simmers using Nvidia cards (instead of ATI cards)?Cheers!David