Sign in to follow this  
Guest kidaamnesiac

Next plane?

Forgive me, but I still don't understand. The 747 came out way before the MD11 by PMDG. And if you mean the 747 was created after the MD11, I'm not so sure that's the case (but I may be wrong).It's such a hard choice! Its definitely between the Maddog and MD11 now. Maybe I can convince the misses to get me both :-P
The 747 for FS9 was the first released. Then the MD11 for FS9/FSX was released and finally 747-400X for FSX was released.The MD-11 first flight was 1990. The 747-400 first flight was 1988.

The 747 for FS9 was the first released. Then the MD11 for FS9/FSX was released and finally 747-400X for FSX was released.The MD-11 first flight was 1990. The 747-400 first flight was 1988.
Don't think so (on the sim front) - I bought the MD11 the week it was released, for FSX, but had been flying the FSX 747 long before that.

Paul Skol

Guest kidaamnesiac

I got the FSX 747 the week it came out. The MD11 wasn't out then. That much I am certain.Thanks for the real-life flight dates. I never realised they were so close to each other.

Guest kidaamnesiac
I'm sorry... my memory is incorrect then. I did not know the 747-400X came out before the MD-11.
Lol don't sweat it, it isn't important at all and who knows, it may be me in the wrong. I didn't start this thread for a debate on release dates. I wanted peoples feedback on planes, and I appreciate all the comments so far, yours included.

Hi all,So soon I have the wife and daughter going on a trip and I have a week off work. A flight simmers dream.So I want to purchase a new aircraft to get to grips with during that week but I am not sure which one to go for. Perhaps you could help me out and tell me why you prefer one of these on my list:Level D 767PMDG MD-11Fly the MaddogDigital Aviation Fokker 70/100Captain Sim C-130 X-PerienceI've heard great things about all of them. I like complex and realistic aircraft (I have (of my non GA add-ons) the PMDG 747, Flight1 ATR 72-500).Thanks for any help.Andrew James
As you can see by all the posts, PMDG has a big name around.In my opinion, PMDG is the best top-level simulation addons developer for FSX on the market. You CAN'T go wrong if you pick a PMDG airplane.But I have to state my great satisfaction with the Leonardo Fly the Maddog 2008 Pro. It is, indeed, a portover from FS9, there is no developer support (but big community support), and it is heavy on frames.On the other hand, it's the most complex airplane I have ever seen for FSX. It's an old school one, wich means you can spoil up your engines very easily and it has a "step learning curve", harder to get it flying then the 747, 767 and MD-11. There's a great failure mannager (I think it's better then PMDGs MD-11, for example), fully functional VC cockpit (including 3D knobs and swichtes), and you can get Navgraph Database for it (it uses PMDG's).For you to have and idea, I was taking off from Saint Louis yesterday and I did two mistakes: accidentally override the A/T with manual throttle in "full power" (no idea how that happened) and I forgot to monitor the engine data (N1, N2, EGT - they were all above maximum). I lost my engine no.1 shortly after take off and had to do an emergency landing back on STL =DIt gives you some headaches to get it working properly (it's not a "ready to consume" addon like PMDGs are) but it is all worth it.I recomend both PMDG MD-11 and the LSH Maddog 2008. (I've never flew the 744)

Our release order went:FS9 747-400FSX 747-400FSX MD-11FS9 MD-11FSX J41FSX 747-8 (VC/systems/panel same as the 400X)I'm gonna buck the trend here and tell you to get the J41 - it's very different from what you're used to with jets, lots of cool stuff like engine EGT management, condition levers, dealing with icing at lower cruise altitudes, manual descent planning etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest kidaamnesiac

LOL, I thought posting would make it easier to choose but it's getting harder!!

LOL, I thought posting would make it easier to choose but it's getting harder!!
Heh!Ok, I'll throw in my two pennorth: MD-11 here. Great looking, fun to learn, 2 good tutorials to get to grips with.

Paul Skol

Captain Sim products are so ridden with problems I wouldn't buy anything else they have to offer. I already bought the 727 and the 767 for FSX. They are both appauling. Nothing but visual splendor. They know about the issues and do nothing about fixing the big ones.
Sorry but I absolutely disagree.I also own both of them.The 727 is a fantastic airplane and my favorite liner after the PMDG 747.The 767 has been patched and flies now wonderfully.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Sorry but I absolutely disagree.I also own both of them.The 727 is a fantastic airplane and my favorite liner after the PMDG 747.The 767 has been patched and flies now wonderfully.
+1I own the 727-100/200/Freighter and also the C-130 Xperience (full pack), they have quickly become two of my favorite planes.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The 727 is a fantastic airplane and my favorite liner after the PMDG 747.
Every time I have flown the 727, i've found something new that's wrong with it. I won't even go on about how buggy the 757 is... The only CS plane I have any confidence flying is the C-130, which still has bugs of its own, even MANY years after its release.I'd seriously go with the MD-11 or J41. PMDG has extremely solid aircraft.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest kidaamnesiac
Every time I have flown the 727, i've found something new that's wrong with it. I won't even go on about how buggy the 757 is... The only CS plane I have any confidence flying is the C-130, which still has bugs of its own, even MANY years after its release.I'd seriously go with the MD-11 or J41. PMDG has extremely solid aircraft.
What kinds of bugs?

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can someone tell me exactly what aircraft the maddog is? It looks like an MD-88... Is that close?