Sign in to follow this  
PinkPony

United Airlines 744 Procedures:

Couple of questions regarding UAL SOP (standard operating procedures)Accel. Height in the USA (unless special engine out requirement): 800'AGL thrust reduction flaps 5What accel. Height is used in the USA at lets say KSFO RWYs 28L/R? (not sure if this has a special engine out accel height?) ORD: 4000' and 5000' MNM alt. Requirements at 5Nm and 8nm DME. So accel. Height is increased to 5000' but then thrust reduction can no longer be at flaps 5 or can it? (5 minute takeof power limit) so what is it 1500'?Intenational stations accel. 3000' thrust red. 1500' on ICAO noise abatement departures. What is used however when there is no noise abatement procedure in place? 800' accel. Flaps 5 thrust reduction? (like in the U.S.)What is the cost index range used at the moment?Would be much appreciated!Leo calzoni

Anybody with some UAL info. that could answer this?Leo Calzoni
never seen in my UAL manuals the CI indicated except for the cruise ...!!!phil

CI is going to vary per flight, dispatch sets it.
that is true ...but since the beginning of 744 ops we went from CI 200 to 100 or 150 to CI20 or 30 nowadays .. Fuel/time is always the rule for ops. but i dont think i ll see CI400 again before a long time ...ps edit : but for the climb and descent there is no CI usage because mostly this ATC that is directing it especially in dense ATC activities. giving vector, level and often speed.

What do you mean there is no CI except for cruise?Set in the PERF INIT it affects CLIMB, CRZ and DESCENT...Currently at UAL the CI range for the 744 is:OPTIMUM: 21* MAX: 126 * )If flight plan FPF shows "LC" then that CI value is the one that will be used)I found a UAL 744 capt. so I have the answers to all my questions.Leo Calzoni

What do you mean there is no CI except for cruise?Set in the PERF INIT it affects CLIMB, CRZ and DESCENT...Currently at UAL the CI range for the 744 is:OPTIMUM: 21* MAX: 126 * )If flight plan FPF shows "LC" then that CI value is the one that will be used)I found a UAL 744 capt. so I have the answers to all my questions.Leo Calzoni
OPTIMUM is the optimum for that particular flight on that particualr day. Fuel goes up one cent, CI changes, Aircraft required for quick turnaround on next leg, CI changes. ATC has strict depature or approach rules, CI for that segment not relevent. VIP on board, CI changes. The CI is just a way of biasing the FMC decisions on speed fuel usage etc., to maximise total cost efficieny to the airline and since that efficiency depends on so many factors outside the details of the flight, the CI can be changed for every flight, and sometimes during every flight.

Leo,dont take it personnal but that s typical not for you but very often a question is aked and seemed the guys got an answer in their mind ...you can set up a CI for any parts of the flight but it doesnt work that way .. first on cruise even with CI indicated in the FMS but if you re crossing the atlantic via nat track there is a fixed mach rule ie ... now on the climb and descent area yes you ll be able to feed again the fms but if you have a speed and altitude constraint or a feet/sec schedule the fms is not dealing and the mcp is the way to operate.yes i dont know in real about flying the 747 only sims time (full box both 744 and 747) but i dispatched the 747 and 744 so i know a little on ops side.see youPhil