Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Does the J41 grind up beer cans for fuel?

Hey it's well modeled and very well done for sure, but the sound on this thing! It is the most unpleasant sound of any aircraft I've ever own for the entire FS series! The B1900 was very cool sounding. I love the 747 as well. Oy for this thing tho!So far, it's a plane I'm going to have to play with a while to see if it's for me. I need to delve into the FMC some more. I have loaded up new flight plans, and set up a few things, but it's hard to tell what's happening with it, the FMC that is. The raindrop effects i'm not too keen on as well. Don't get me wrong, I have purchase a total of 4 PMDG products, and loved them all. But this things maybe not a good fit for me. Many thanks tho to PMDG for turning out very nice software. I only wish a 757 would come along!Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Check out a few of the Youtube videos available of these things starting up, bith inside and out. I think it is pretty close... :)And given the history of PMDG's involvement with this aircraft, I would guess that they also know how it sounds in the real world...Andrew

Guest BlueRidgeDx

With the exception of the sudden starter cutout sound (and FSX turboprop limitation), the engine and prop sounds are extremely realistic. The real airplane is very loud and the prop noise is very distinct. The PMDG bird models this perfectly, especially the change sound as you bring the CONDITION levers to FLIGHT.

With the exception of the sudden starter cutout sound (and FSX turboprop limitation), the engine and prop sounds are extremely realistic. The real airplane is very loud and the prop noise is very distinct. The PMDG bird models this perfectly, especially the change sound as you bring the CONDITION levers to FLIGHT.
This bird is amazing, and to be quite honest I am just a little (ha!) intimidated by the learning curve. I am always one to learn just enough to be able to do flights from a configuration of take-off ready, use an FMC to get me there, and avoid delving deep into all the real issues of doing safe flights. This airplane seems so complex and so sensitive to potential disaster I don't think I'll ever fly in one in the real world! God help the pilots who have to fly this thing!Actually, I do have it going now well enough to get me from here to there, but I really don't understand how much the FMC can be used yet. I am used to the Boeing FMC's and they are pretty easy by comparison to this. I tried opening the tutorial.pdf, and became stumped quite quickly with just powering up the aircraft, when voltages weren't acting as the manual suggested they should. So I will wait to master the FMC and start flights already powered up and later check into how to power up one from cold and dark. I do know these complex birds are the most gratifying once you figure them out ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Think of the FMS in this bird as just a aid to flying from fix to fix. This box predates the growth of GNSS/GPS and in fact is not certified for RNAV (GPS) procedures. The 'VNAV' is just a constant angle of descent calculator, which is very useful but not like the Boeing VNAV. You can chose to fly a complete flight with it turned off.

Dan Downs KCRP

You can chose to fly a complete flight with it turned off.
Indeed, coming from the MD-11 into the J41 I just assumed the FMS was going to be very integral similar to the MD-11 but in my first 10 or so flights I noticed I didn't get into the FMS yet (was flying visual and by VOR, NDB's). Took me back towards the 'basics' again.