Sign in to follow this  
Guest nbacoventry

What does the bufferpool tweak do?

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Messed with BP once and quickly discovered it did absolutely nothing. My FSX runs fantastic without any messing around with cfg. Honestly the biggest tweak of all is cash.
Hah! Yeah - that's worked for me, too. :( NBA - how did you're tweaking experiment go? I'm very curious, as you can see from this wonderfully professional thread :( :( , that there are a number of 'opinions' floating about re: BufferPools. I don't use the setting at all, to great success. Some swear by 10M. Some, the default of 4M. Some swear by BP=0...But if you check the thread titled "BP=0 The Holy Grail of Performance" very near your thread on the list, it doesn't appear to be all wine and roses with that setting, either (appears to be a cat fight in there).So, experiment, see what works for you. Given the FPS numbers you've posted, I think you're doing pretty well as-is, but one of the above settings might give you a boost - and that is part of the fun with this hobby. Most importantly, have fun Flying! B) Cheers!

Hello,My CPU is a Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 which is clocked at 2.40GHz. I have 4GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 (400Mhz) and i am using Windows Vista 32bit for my OS.
The best tweak I can think of for your situation, is to overclock your CPU to about 3.2 GHz... Try 2.8 first and then go up in small steps checking for stability and core temperatures.My system:Q6600@3.2 - 2GB PC800 DDR2 - WinXP Pro 32 bit - stock cooling

Bert

Guest nbacoventry
The best tweak I can think of for your situation, is to overclock your CPU to about 3.2 GHz... Try 2.8 first and then go up in small steps checking for stability and core temperatures.My system:Q6600@3.2 - 2GB PC800 DDR2 - WinXP Pro 32 bit - stock cooling
I don't want to overclock my CPU because i do not know how to do to overclock a CPU and also i don't want to mess around with it in case i may break something. Oh and i don't want to spend money on new cooling if i needed it if i did overclock. I haven't found the time to test the bufferpools tweak yet i will probably try it out on sunday.

"BUFFERPOOLSThe pedestrian sounding BUFFERPOOLS is a section of its own in the fsx.cfg file. There is a setting in there called Poolsize, as in
[bUFFERPOOLS]Poolsize=nWhere n is the amount of bytes we will allocate for one pool of vertex and index buffers to store geometry.Again from Raf:

Guest UlfB
...Honestly the biggest tweak of all is cash.
Thats true :(

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Where is the 4MB located - on the hard-disk presumably for 32-bit systems?
It's in ram - it's only 4MB, not 4GB. :(

Guest FlyingBits
No, that would be Vram. :(

Guest SK8TRBOI747

No, that would be mirrored in ram. :(

Guest FlyingBits
No, that would be mirrored in ram. :(
Oh, yeah of course! The Mirroring method is the common term used to describe Video Random Access Memory, right! Wink wink! LOL!Sorry, but BP are allocated in vertex and index buffers = Vram.

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Oh, yeah of course! The Mirroring method is the common term used to describe Video Random Access Memory, right! Wink wink! LOL!Sorry, but BP are allocated in vertex and index buffers = Vram.
No, kibble

Oooopps. I misread it :(

Guest SK8TRBOI747
Hello?So from the "mans post" your answer is that the impact is 4mb, and further that the impact is on the OS and even further that it is on ram? And sorry but I dont see 4GB anywhere.Do I have that right? because thats what it looks like you just said.So, again just were is the 4mb BP alocated to? Because thats what we are talking about right, were the BP is alocated? The answer is as I posted: BP are alocated to vertex and index buffers in Vram, not by the OS, not on the disk, not in system memory but in Vram.
Paul, really (and in all seriousness) it's called "reading between the lines". The only way the poster could be concerned with that memory figure (4) with regard to 32 bit systems, while at the same time saying it must be in HDD, is that he's simply misreading it as 4GB. That's all there is to this! I believe the chap simply mistook the figure as being 4GB as it explains the entire question.Give it a rest - I know you're a "pro" and all that, and that you are, oddly, stalking my posts in an attempt to find the slightest fault...but geez, it's getting a bit creepy, you know?
Oooopps. I misread it :(
No problem, mgh! I figured that's all it was.Cheers, and thanks!Pat

The BUFFERPOOLS setting may or may not make a difference in your system. Trial and error will be your friend. The main issue that BP seems to help is stutters during turns. With your video card you could go up to 70000000.However, there is serious evidence that the BP setting is directly related to the TBM - TextureBandwidthMultiplier.Set up a test flight at Seattle and save it. I pick Seattle because it will put a load on your system. Set FPS MAX to 30 - Set water to 2LOW - Bloom off - AI to 10% and other where you like them.Set your TBM to 40 and your BP to 0 - fly and note smoothness, artifacts, stutters, etc.Then increase TBM to 50, 60 70 & 80 - anything over 80 will not help - repeat.Then increase BP to 1, 5, 10,20,30,50,70M and retest.Try to find the right balance between those two settings.Once you have done that and decided on a smoothness setting - then try adjusting your sliders up AND down.BTW, if you're not comfortable with overclocking, don't do it, but the Q6600 will go to 3.4 - 3.6 easily on air - probably 3.2 - 3.4 with the standard heatsink.Have fun

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors