Sign in to follow this  
Guest Delayskid

Blurries no matter what I do.. Help?

Guest Delayskid

Hello everyone recently I've installed FS9 again after coming from FSX but I seem to have an issue that I can't seem to resolve! No matter what CFG tweaks I've tried or settings on Nhancer I can't seem to eliminate blurry ground textures beyond a mile or so I've had my sim running a lot better before I replaced my new video card I'm starting to wonder if my problem is a graphics card issue?I've had and seen screenshots of crisp textures as far as the eye can see on FS9 but mine just doesnt want to play ball.. Any help or any tips on how to sharpen things up would be great I really want my sim looking the way it was.PS I've even formatted re-installed windows 7 tried diffrent GFX card drivers from Nvidia but it hasn't helped.Specs are :Phenom X2 AM3 3.1GHZ CPU500GB hardrive500W Stealthxtreme OCZ PSU2GB OCZ gold DDR2 800MHZ RamZotac 9800GT 512MB GDDR3 GPUThanks everyone!Dan :(

Whenever I see a post like this I dig out something I saved a long time ago.In addition, certain library objects used in scenery can cause blurries.Hope this works for you:Holger S posted this on the Fsgenesis forum: (http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?n ... 51&start=0)"In order to maximize the detail/sharpness of ground textures it's a good idea to use terrain extended textures. Below is a summary of what these parameters mean and what values are possible. However, if you're using photoreal scenery (such as MegaScenery) you should turn off extended textures and reduce visibility to 30 miles or so. That is because without extended textures FS needs to load about 5000 texture tiles but with extended textures the number jumps to about 20,000! There's still a lot of debate what exactly those parameters mean and what units they have but here's what I compiled from various sources and, IMO (!), makes sense: TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1 * that's easy: ON/OFF switch to load higher res textures beyond the initial "ring", which extends to about 40 miles TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.500000 * apparently, values can range from 0 to 9.99 and higher settings will be ignored * extends the use of the highest detailed mips (sharper textures) within the inner circle; lower settings means less than 40 miles and higher settings up to the 40-mile max. * changing this value doesn't seem to make much of a visible difference TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.500000 * same range of values as above * extends the use of higher maps for the outer circle(s). Supposedly, "1.5" reaches to ~70mi and "9.9" to about 100mi * careful!!! A setting higher than 3.9 can lead to "texture tearing" (blue slivers) in the mid- to far distance when high-res mesh is used. Some add-on mesh files - like some of mine - provide additional "buffer" mesh files, which prevent those blue slivers even at settings >3.9 TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4 * range from 0 to 8 * is tied to TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS and defines the max. mip level to be used for the outer ring(s), that is the sharpness of the outer ring textures * I never noticed much difference between 0 and 4; no changes at all when >4 In summary, the TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS parameter appears to be the one with the biggest visual influence. Oh, and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT apparently determines the speed or priority with which ground textures are sent for processing to the graphics card. " Hello,there is another important point to pay attention to:MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=This factor is automatically and always changed to 96560 whenever you do a change in FS2004 settings, whatever value you had before!Realistic value for landscape is 64000.By the way, following values are recommended by Germany's well know "Texture Pope" Jobia.(Holger will know him for sure)He published his intensive studies in his "texture bible" - sorry, about 500 pages all in German.(http://www.jobia.de/)His proposals are:MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=64000TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024MipBias=8[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=0.000000TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=2by BC_Holger on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:03 pm Hi guys,Joachim (Jobia) is correct in that the maximum values for TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS and TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS are 4.0, not 4.5 as I had posted. Similarly, TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS does only reach to 4, not 8.Thus, the settings I use are:TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4 (as Joachim has shown in his document, this value makes no difference if the first two are set to the maximum 4)Different from Joachim's suggestion I set TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=90.000000andTERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20The former is the Mesh Complexity slider value and it has been shown that a value of 100 (percent) has a disproportionate impact on frame rates while any values above 70% or so make no visible difference in the sim.With TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL at the default 19 the highest resolution that terrain mesh can resolve is 76-m spacing (LOD9). Most of my projects - as well as lots of other add-on landscape files - use 38-m spacing (LOD10), which is why I tend to use TMVL=20. The maximum value of 21, on the other hand, can lead to visual problems with terrain shading (large blocks instead of accurate shapes).Cheers, Holger

THANKS for reposting this Wingz! Sometimes it's hard to find stuff like that, and it always good to review! And thanks to Holger, et al, for posting the original.

THANKS for reposting this Wingz! Sometimes it's hard to find stuff like that, and it always good to review! And thanks to Holger, et al, for posting the original.
I actually have to say, some of the recommended settings in that post resulted in a phenomenal image in FS. In fact, I think it is the best i have seen in FS9 on my box to date. :( In particular the settings with a ******:MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=64000 I use 96000 here and like it better a little better, the higher numbers tend to result in some untextured squares way off in the distanceTEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024MipBias=8[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=0.000000 always used 10 in the past ************TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=200.000000 always used 100 in the past ***********TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20 was using 21 **********TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4.000000 *********** Was running 9.90000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000 ********* Was running 4.50000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4 ******** Was running 232 I also have cloud coverage and cloud density set to 10Using the new modified values really seems to have sharpened things up considerably for me so THANK YOU VERY MUCH :( :( As Chuck said, Thanks to Wingz for posting and to Holger and Jobia for the information, can't tell you how much it is appreciated!Paul B)

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Still amazes me that after so many years there are still new 'developments' on cfg settings. I've learned to take them all with a grain of salt..but hell..i'll give it a try anyways. :(

There was a thread here a year or so ago that was titled something like: "With all the new high end hardware are FS9.cfg tweaks still needed?" The basic gist of the thread was that hardware has now progressed so far that .cfg file tweaks aren't really necessary.All I can tell you is that after incorporating some of the above tweaks that I had not yet employed, my blurries have lessend to an almost non-existent level, and my sceneries load much more smoothly, rarely loading up with any flashing black or white squares any more. Go figure . . . :(

Ok, so ever since this post came about I have been playing with settings and experimenting. My goal to get that 1st level of detail that is always right under the plane at FL350 to extend out as far as possible while filling the outermost levels with base textures instead of blank boxes. If anyone wants to give the settings a try and report back if I am crazy (which most of us already know the answer too :( ) or if it helps them as well here are my settings...MAX_UNLIMITED_VIS=88000 **********(very nice Horizon Distance)TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024MipBias=8[TERRAIN]TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=0.000000 ****** usually at 10TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=300.000000 ****(This seems to be the setting controlling how far the detailed textures extend unless I am making it up) Might even try 400 next, 250-300 seems to really help**** TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20 TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=9.9TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=1 (Not seeing a big difference here between 1, 4, 232, 40 or 400) 1 seems to work well with the 300 above...Oh well, that's it... For those of you still chasing that little bit of crispness give it a shot and let me know what you think. :( :( Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Delayskid

Thanks for all the posts guys but still nothing has worked one bit I'm starting to think I have a defect card or something :( I had things chrisp right out to the horizon on my 9500GT and I'm starting to wish I never upgraded because the sim just looks a whole lot worse now.I've tried everything from rolling back old drivers, Nhancer settings, All above CFG configs, visibility changes and nothing still just blurred ground textures from around 5 miles. Really is the most frustrating thing.I'll attach some pictures to show you what I mean.Please help me! :(

In all these discussions about the 'blurries', I never see references to the 'TextureMaxLoad' parameter. Is this no longer thought useful in reducing the effect?Dave

In all these discussions about the 'blurries', I never see references to the 'TextureMaxLoad' parameter. Is this no longer thought useful in reducing the effect?Dave
I'm thinking that doesn't come into play in this scenario.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules