Just noticed that in device manager have exclamation marks against the core of my E8400 CPU. The status tells me "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality (Code 32)I have not knowingly disabled any driver. If I click on 'update driver', do not go on the internet, install automatically, it comes back that wizard could not find a better match.Can anyone offer advice on this please?

Guest WarpAir
Just noticed that in device manager have exclamation marks against the core of my E8400 CPU. The status tells me "A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality (Code 32)I have not knowingly disabled any driver. If I click on 'update driver', do not go on the internet, install automatically, it comes back that wizard could not find a better match.Can anyone offer advice on this please?
Go to the website for yourr mother board manufacturer and download all the drivers that need to be installed for your mother board.Some of the drivers from mother board manufacturer are CPU related.This drivers are also available on the CD that comes with your mother board. Usually named Intelxxxxxxxx

Guest firehawk44
This link might help too - http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/...des.htm?gssnb=1Best regards,Jim

Try letting it search Windows Updates when you tell it to search for a better driver. Doesn't often work with XP but it's worth a shot. Otherwise, install the chipset driver as WarpAir suggested. If you still have the problem, you can try a repair install of Windows XP from the XP CD.

Thanks for the advice guys.Tried the mo/bo drivers, system can't find any better drivers.After more Net searching it seems that those device manager entries relate to CPU power saving and that it can be disabled without a problem. The Gigabyte mo/bo does have its own power saving feature so maybe that is carrying out the power saving role that device manager entries reference.Those entries only appeared after I had to recover after a STOP 0x00000024 error so I suspect the two incidents are related.Jim,Many thanks for that MS link, never knew there was such a list of error codes :(

Guest UlfB
Those entries only appeared after I had to recover after a STOP 0x00000024 error so I suspect the two incidents are related.
Jim,This could mean that you have corrupted system files (system drivers) on your pc. Run a checkdisk on your system drive!Have you had problems with "blue screens" in Windows lately?

BSOD followed by missing devices means something is wrong and will likely only get worse. I recommend you download the following BSOD viewer tool and report which file(s) caused the BSOD. That will help determine the cause of your issue.

BSOD followed by missing devices means something is wrong and will likely only get worse. I recommend you download the following BSOD viewer tool and report which file(s) caused the BSOD. That will help determine the cause of your issue.
Have downloaded the viewer for future use but it will not be any help in this. I recovered the system from an earlier backup so all the minidumps are from well before the last BSoD.Ulf,Ran a checkdisk on the system after the BSoD but as I say above I recovered the system from an earlier backup.