Sign in to follow this  
Guest stranex

Flashing clouds

Guest stranex

Well I finally seem to have FS9 setup to run smooth as, with minimal shimmering and smooth as you like.My next problem is getting rid of the "flashing clouds" which appear in the distance.....is there any fix to the settings of cfg file for this?I have tried moving my cloud sliders to reduce anc increase the drawn and visible distance but I still get some "flashing" of distant clouds....almost as if there's lightening in them (there's not!)Thanks in advance....

Hi,Have you tried at a draw distance of 30 miles?What is happening is that distant clouds are not drawn at a high level of detail and as you fly closer FS re-renders the clouds at a higher detail. If you set the draw distance at 30 then they are rendered at their highest level of detail the first time and FS doesn't need to re-draw them.

Guest stranex
Hi,Have you tried at a draw distance of 30 miles?What is happening is that distant clouds are not drawn at a high level of detail and as you fly closer FS re-renders the clouds at a higher detail. If you set the draw distance at 30 then they are rendered at their highest level of detail the first time and FS doesn't need to re-draw them.
Thanks Jim, I will try this and see what it looks like.....won't it mean though that clouds now "pop up" in the mid distance? Anybody know if an add on such as REX or ASA helps solve this?

Guest belga1

Hello,

Anybody know if an add on such as REX or ASA helps solve this?
eusa_naughty.gifIMHO ... no !As Jim writed .. it's a problem of rendering .. not a problem of textures ...REX .. etc .. are textures.Regards.bye.gifGus.

Guest stranex
Hello,eusa_naughty.gifIMHO ... no !As Jim writed .. it's a problem of rendering .. not a problem of textures ...REX .. etc .. are textures.Regards.bye.gifGus.
Cheers Gus. I don't see anyone else reporting this problem though do other than setting the cloud draw slider to 30nm does anyone have any suggestions as how to solve the problem?Watching some YouTube videos, their cloudscape looks a LOT more vivid and detailed though I don't see any clouds being rendered.....does this then mean the it's a hardware issue for me?

You're not alone, I too have the same issue with flashing clouds in the distance. There has to be a simple fix for this. I have REX ans AS 6.5 running. Myron P

The only way I have found to semi fix this is by increasing the visibility range in the fs cfg. It seems like the clouds are getting cutoff by the site distance, I sometimes have to set mine to 50-55000 and my cloud draw distance to 3-4. I know this sucks because it looks more unreal but its all iv found to help tell its fixed.

It's really funny!Jim from HiFi Simulation, THE clouds/weather guru in person, gave a clear reason for the cloud flashing and he suggested a solution. But some of you just seem to ignore what he says.Sorry, I culdn't resist!Wolfgang

Check your weather clouds settings (visibility/sight, etc) and move those sliders up to get more clouds on the horizon. But you cannot avoid clouds flashing in and out as it has to do with the engine itself, as previously stated.