Sign in to follow this  
terrypin

FSX with FRAPS - almost no audio

I've been a successful user of FRAPS for ages, mainly for recording tours in Google Earth. But up until now I've never recorded sound. Obviously, for my first attempts with FSX that was a must. So I'm really disappointed at the results. All high frequencies and most of the rest are gone. About the only thing I can hear, barely, are dull thumps as I crash.I appreciate I'm probably straying OT, but any ideas please? Happy to provide any detail that might help diagnosis. I'll post in the video forum too.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I've been a successful user of FRAPS for ages, mainly for recording tours in Google Earth. But up until now I've never recorded sound. Obviously, for my first attempts with FSX that was a must. So I'm really disappointed at the results. All high frequencies and most of the rest are gone. About the only thing I can hear, barely, are dull thumps as I crash.I appreciate I'm probably straying OT, but any ideas please? Happy to provide any detail that might help diagnosis. I'll post in the video forum too.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK
You might want to check the Fraps site - there was an update just released a week or so ago which might address your issue. I believe the latest version is now 3.1.1 Good luck!

You might want to check the Fraps site - there was an update just released a week or so ago which might address your issue. I believe the latest version is now 3.1.1 Good luck!
Thanks David. Unfortunately that makes no difference. So far I'm stumped. I'm not a 'gamer' but one step I need to try is to find a simple game with sound to see if the problem is limited to FSX.I've now seen and heard FSX recordings by others, so I suspect it's something unique to my system.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK

What are your recording settings for sounds? Are you recording through a mic or what you hear? What kind of sound device are you using, onboard sound or an add-in sound card?
Thanks WhiteKnight77, appreciate the interest. I'm using a Realtek HD Audio, which I gather is an onboard sound device. The setting under Mixer are shown here:Note that none of those recording options have a slider, BTW. But nor can I actually move any of the slider in the equivalent Voume Control dialog, which I've shown as well.I'm assuming the sound that FRAPS will capture will be what I hear through the speakers. Although I'm technically out of my depth here, I understand this is the Stereo Mix input?If there was no sound at all that might be easier to solve. But I'm getting something. The best I've achieved so far is an interrupted, deeper version of the original. On-off-on-off-on-off..., at about 4 times per second, equal ons and offs, with all the high frequencies of my Trike engine removed.It's driving me nuts!Edit: It looks like the intermittent issue is down to performance. Coupled maybe with my expectations being naive. Because I just got a half decent result when I reduce the size of the FSX display to 1536 x 918 (arbitrary choice), instead of the 1920 x 1172 I'd been using. This results in an AVI video size of 1528 x 836, with sound that at least is now continuous and vaguely like the original, apart from missing all the high frequencies (mainly wind in a Trike).It's clearly not an FSX issue. To confirm, I just opened my GoldWave audio editor and recorded a new WAV file while FSX was flying the Trike. The result was very similar to the latest FRAPS recording. So, where are all the high frequencies going, I wonder? :( --Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks. I'm running XP Pro, not Vista, and I do have stereo mix.The solution to the lack of treble that I've come up with is to use the Equalizer in Realtek HD Audio Manager. After experiment I saved an 'FSX' setting, which I'll use for future FRAPS captures. And of course not go higher than the screen size I described.I'd be interested to know what screen resolution others are using for FSX + FRAPS? I expect a separate sound card wouldn't need this compromise. Still, 1536 x 864 is still a reasonabe size.--Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Hi Terry,From what I have experienced from the built-in ASUS sound software and on-board sound and from what I have read in these forums about the bugs with ASUS on-board hardware and software, it may also be that ASUS just can't handle FSX sound or any sound properly. It has these crazy "auto-detect sound device" features which sometimes work and sometimes do not and are much too confusing to figure out. I suggest you may look into a sound card like a SoundBlaster. They are not expensive at all and have much better sound "hardware acceleration" than any ASUS stuff. FSX may also require a much better sound hardware (and this is indeed possible) than what ASUS onboard hardware provides, and this may be an explanation for all the problems you're having. Don't forget that the sound in FSX is "continuous" and multi-dimensional. You are hearing wind, engines, switches, ATC, etc.. etc... I am guessing that this may be too much for the unstable and unreliable ASUS sound hardware to handle.Good luck!John

Thanks John. I'll give some serious consideration to a sound card if I can't live with the limited video size of my FSX recordings. I have yet to see what they look like when they end up in a DVD. Now that I've upped the treble in the Realtek equalizer, the sound is actually not that bad - providing I don't give it a larger FSX window to record, when it chokes!The FSX audio simulation is absolutely brilliant. Astonishing how complex yet accurate it seems. Quite interesting to hit Ctl+Sh+F1 to cut all fuel while at 1000 ft in my Trike and hear the engine putter to a stop and the wind-whistle take over. :( --Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Guest napamule

terrypin,Man, you got problems all over (hehe). Try these setting for Fraps. You can profit by recording 'half size' (refers to resolution of FSX). I record 1024x768x32 and I get good videos. Or you could use 1280x1024x32 FSX res and see how it looks. But it's a load sometimes (for my rig) with certain aircraft (the ones ported over from FS9). I only have a 'stupid' P4, 3.2 Ghz. I am overdue for a new PC. Here is pic of what I use. I also have onboard sounc (AC97) and it works ok. You should go start 'SoundMan' (exe) as it is a better equalizer adjusting and testing tool. And make sure there is no 'effects' active (ie: echo). Cheers.CBNapamule