Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

2010 RTWR Pilot Reports Thread

Please post your pilot reports and screenshots in this thread.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Good start to Operation Dynammo. :) DC protecting me as I head to England over the channel. Very bumpy of the channel. There was lots of geese in the air.

spacer.png

I got to fly earlier in this years race than I expected. A little over an hour into the first leg of the race Dave announced that he only had 35% fuel in the P-51H. Dave punched off his wing tanks prematurly and had to divert to ENZV. I setup in the Epic LT and pushed the baton to EGML to kickoff the Airmanship challange.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Had a great time flying the Goose in the Kickoff event. I had two uneventful run with great cover provided by Harv on the first leg and Bry on the second. Vicious

Couple of shots. The first shows the Gaggle off the coast of Dunkirk. The second of Travis and his soldiers safely on his way home.Great fun had by all!

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

When you're flying in a high octane event such as this the last thing you want is for something to go wrong with your mount only minutes after posting you're wingman to the baton. So you can imagine how my heart got caught in my throat when I started to loose airspeed passing through 12000 ft. I asked the guys on Teamspeak what could cause something like this and I got a half a dozen replies which I tried to make sense of. I was on my own up there switching on heaters and examining the results when I gave the mixture setting a good look. Somehow the auto mixture checkbox had been reset, and so I had to set it manually. I had to squeeze out every bit of leaning to get my P51H up to 26000 ft, but the flight settled back down to routine, and I got back down okay. Yikes!

Mike Beckwith

B ) P-51H wingman arrived at YBAMNo pressue on since Bry had already landed but I was way too fast and high on my first pass and sailed over the field at 200knts and had to circle. Tried to bleed off the excess speed and altitude in the turn, but was still going too fast and was too high on the second approach. Forced it down but mis-judged the flare. Green Duenna though :(

26aLetj.png

Nice flight flying wingman to Harv in a Do-335 duel :( Beautiful sunrise along the way and on arrival accidentally cut across Harv`s nose on short final ( Honest :( ) Moved out of the way of the runway and landed on the Taxi-way in time to watch a big bunch of Beech`s departing

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png

This race is renowned for high drama, and in spite of our best efforts we sometimes make mistakes, but there were a couple of incidents during our departure from Asia which were very close for us indeed!Firstly Buzz was driving tired, and he was driving the Avanti which needs careful management of energy during decent. Initially he came down too early, and then compensated for this with a slow decent, but then he was too high and entering low visibility conditions which resulted in excess speed, and a subsequent go-around. He made it on his second approach but posted that the baton was free with only two minutes to spare before the over time penalty.Secondly we had a wingman crash on departure. Jock evidently pulled the stick back too early causing his P51D to stall on take-off. While we were discussing how to resolve this little problem Sven reported that he couldn't retract his landing gear which forced him to reset his flight. He made corrections to his original post, reset his flight and took off. He made up some of the ground he lost and posted his baton free with an ample 10 minutes to spare!

Mike Beckwith

PIREP for PAKN to PASI P-47M-1-RE...."Living on a Prayer" flight. :( Prep, Takeoff and climb went well. Reached altitiude of 25k feet when a fuel situation came up.. Went from 98 to 56% rapidly...thought to myself, this is going to be close. Fuel managment was saying all the way I was running a deficit in distance and time to empty.....This cause me to :( :(..Can't let down the team....With that said had to continue cruise (not too many airports in the Bay of Alaska! for a diversion). Climbed higher (32K) to see if speed would increase. It did.that helped some as distance and time to empty went up (rather than down)..Trudged on with cruise..then came decent. It was a challenge...had to nurse the prop pitch and throttle all the way down. Approach was tricky, lots of turbulence and scattered clouds.. Tried to nurse the approach some so if I did loose fuel (and thus the engine) I could glide in for an landing attempt. Thankfully landed safely! B) However learned I had only 120 seconds to spare in the time limit...Sometimes it is safer not to tell the pilot everything in way of limits. Also times skill can't help every problem. It is a combinaiton of skill and luck...In this case...the pilot was "Living on a Prayer"!

Travis.png?dl=1

Monday has been an interesting day, starting with Buzz's landing with two minutes to go, Jock's take off crash, Sven's broken gear and Travis's fuel and time problems. I did two flights in the Epic today. The first flight was pretty much perfect, 50-60 knot tailwinds and 445 knots ground speed at FL290. I had a quite nice looking sunset while waiting for Sven and Jock, so I turned on light bloom and captured a few screenshots.(This is my new background on my netbook

Cub Fun in WyomingI got home from work just in time to setup for the Cub team flight from West Yellowstone to Jackson. I loaded up my A2 J-3. The airport is 6000 ft elevation. I could not get more than 40 knts on take-off with the following results:I switched to FSX default J-3 and had an nice easy run down to Jackson.Note to self: Remember to practice with a plane before you fly it in the race :(

26aLetj.png

Some Screenies.. :)Landing in MinskTurning final in VNKTNice wakeup in Alaska at the end of a nice legNice terrain on our cub leg.. Hard to climb.. Too bad I couldn't finish the flight.

spacer.png