Sign in to follow this  
jt_williams

2010 RTWR Pilot Reports Thread

A little late in posting. Flew the Grumman Goose across the English channel to Dunkirk to pick up some evacuating troops for the kickoff event. Uneventful and successful flight to Dunkirk as well as the second leg to Manston. Grumman makes some great aircraft.

First baton leg for myself, VYMM to VTSC in the DeHavilland Hornet, a world war 2 british two engine beauty of an aircraft. Very fast. With Roman flying wing in the Bearcat. Also very fast. After some Duenna struggles I finally was off and climbing to 30 thousand feet. I was greeted with a 25 knot tailwind once at altitude and settled in for a smooth quick leg. Was a little nervous flying my first leg for Avsim but Roman and the other team members online made it an enjoyable flight. The weather at 30k was very clear but dropping down towards VTSC the weather turned rainy and visibility dropped to near zero a few times. Thankfully the haze cleared as I approached the runway and I set the Hornet down without incident. Ahhhh.

Completed My very first J-39F baton leg. I badly mis-judged the descent and was way to high and fast and fast. One 360 set me up for the runway but I could not see it anywhere. Then the multiplayer labels flickered into view. I had cut the throttle back to idle during my turn and noticed my speed was getting a bit low. Pushed the thottle foreward a bit and no response and I began to wallow a bit. I pushed the nose over to pickup some speed and slammed the throttles max forward and silence. My engine had cut out. I did the <Ctrl>E restart and heard the sounds of engine re-start but it took a very long 5 seconds before power began to come on and the city buildings were rapidly coming into view. At about 500 feet the power came on and I was able to arrest my descent and began to climb. I was only about 4 miles from the runway and could see the multiplayer labels but could not see any lights. Then less then 2 miles out I made out the field adjusted my approach and landed. Whew!!!A wonderful aircraft but I need a lot more practice.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Decided to break out my shiny new 747-800 for its journey to back Harv up going across to Africa. Here are a couple photo's of the flight (before the "incident").. Hehe

spacer.png

Some Phot-ohs from the last 3 legs of our race.A test flight in in the J-29...A gaggle heading for Italy.Just looking for our buddies in B-24s somewhere in Italy."I HAVE IT FIREWALLED BUT JUST CANNOT ESCAPE!"

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

My FSScreen has been playing up the whole race, possibly a sympton of the anti virus problem that killed my wildcard attempt. Anyway here's a bunch of screenies that i did manage to get

Harv.png?dl=1

Howdi - Well I wasnt a race member here this year - I bugged out and went over to Flightsim for a change of pace. Funny thing I was a member of the last 2 winning teams !I just wanted to wish you all good luck in the race though and am commending everyone who took part - you all flew awesomely. RTW are the best pilots in the air (!); we have backbone !This is my own personal note to honor the pilots here...I kinda missed you guys. I may come back next year I dont know, or since Flightsim won I may jump to all the teams to fly to meet them all who knows !! I am gonna be looking for multiplayer group flights here !Blake

The Beech Time flight was great fun. We enjoyed chatting as the Rozier Bros showed off their Dazzling Dorniers while landing the baton at Gladstone. Then our gaggle of Beeches took off to the sight of a beautiful Aussie sunrise. The journey was a scenic interlude to our normal hectic pace. No worries.Then a shot of the team making its way back to China

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1