Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jimbofly

FS9 first impressions

Guest AAF

Hey everyone.I'd just like to express my amazement with FS9. I bought it this morning and installed it (it took 15 minutes, max), and then went about setting up my joystick, etc. Then I did my first flight, Culebra-Dominicci, with moderate cloud coverage (I also explored weather themes). I run the sim with sliders at 3/4 the way to the right, massive a/c texture size, 75pt. terrain mesh, and at 1280x1024x32 resolution. I have yet to experience a frame rate hit. I am getting extremely consistent frames in all kinds of weather, and have experienced no significant graphical anomalies.This is quite honestly the best sim yet.If you have any positive experiences you'd like to contribute, go right ahead, I'd like to hear them!-Joe Gonzalez @ KDSM

Take a flight at about 25,000ft in overcast conditions and then come talk to us about frame rates. Everyone knows by now FS2k4 is awesome below the clouds, above the clouds is one of the major problems with this new Flight Simulator...Not trying to be negative just informative...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

dilloll0 man all you do is complain about this sim. I think we heard enough, keep this thread for positive views on the sim

I'm not complaining, it's a wonderful sim below 12,000ft... It truly is the best version ever released below that altitude. Sorry I'm just being truthful...I just feel this was something that shouldn't have been an issue. I'll keep my responces to a minimum and just see what others are finding...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Tim_mx

It's not the complaint itself. It's just that you say the same thing in every thread. Repeating a _positive_ detail in every other thread would be equally annoying actually. :)

I got the game and just installed it too. I honestly thought my computer would not be good enought to play FS2004...........boy was I wrong! Im still playing around with the sliders to get everything looking good. So far I had NO PROBLEMS with the game at all. I haven't actually plan a flight yet, only thing I did was take off at my airport and land again. I will probaly keeep FS2002 on my computer only until tomorrow, then I will delete it. Well going to more flying and playing with the new game!

Guest ssurjap

Funny. I was flying at 31,000 feet and I get constant frame rates between 18 and 24 (I set it to max out at 25). Of course I didn't max out all the sliders, but I did set some of them all the way to the right (or maybe one notch below).I'm running a modest system (P4/1.6, 512MB RAM, 64MB GeForce 2). Of course I don't use AntiAliasing either, so that's probably why.

Guest AAF

I'm glad to know that others are having good experiences too! After all, that's what our hobby's about :D . Nothing but clear skies ahead (and some gloriously rough ones here and there) :-lol

Guest AAF

Hey there dilloll0:I just did a flight from KDFW-KIAH in the Lear, at 25,000 feet, clouds overcast. And I guess that what you're talking about is absent from my experience, I was getting constant 20-25 fps, and the sim, as per all the experiences I've had with it thus far, was beyond good looking. So maybe it's a problem with your v-card or something, but I suggest that you ease up on the sliders. We can't all have have 100% quality and 100% performance.

"game"?? Did somebody say Game?! :-rotor :-lol Personally I think that Microsoft has done a great job on 2004. Sure we still have a ways to go but just think of the strides that have been made in the last 20 years in flight simulation...Mark[/color]Old Bridge (3N6) New Jersey[/color] AOPA Member since 1999 #02624412[/color][link:www.aopa.org/learntofly/|Learn To Fly with AOPA Project Pilot!][/color][link:www.gaservingamerica.org/|General Aviation Serving America Website][/color][/b][link:www.aopa.org/|http://www.infogamer.com/images/aopa3.jpg]Support the Re-Opening of Meigs Airport![/color][link:www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-2-019x.html|Join AOPA in the Fight! - 12-Point Plan][link:www.friendsofmeigs.org|Visit Friends of Meigs Website!][link:live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&useapplet=true&name=/adler/skyeye/camera1]Meigs CAM LIVE]My Rig[/color] ([/color]"COLOSSUS" [/color]aka:[/color] Mellow[/color] Yellow[/color] Lime[/color])[/color]ASUS P4PE Intel 845PE Chipset DDR333 Rev. 1.03 w/ all the goodies except Gigabyte Lan - Intel Northwood Pentium 4 2.4BGHz SL6EF C1 Stepping Processor System Bus 533 MHz 512KB L2 Cache (Pack Date 01/16/03) ---> @ 2.8GHz on Air Cooling - Thermaltake Spark 7 Copper Heatsink@4500RPM + Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Compound - 1 x Corsair Micro 512M XMS PC3500 DDR400 CAS2 Memory with Muscle Stick - ATI 9700 Radeon Pro AGP 8x 4x Bus 128M - Sound Blaster Audigy 2 coupled to Logitech Z-640's 5.1 Speakers - 2 x Maxtor 200 GIG 7200RPM HD's - Vantec Clear Copper Floppy and Silver Round IDE Cables - Matrix Orbital GPU LCD Multi Display (Yellow Backlit) <- GET THIS PANEL! - Matric Orbital GPU LCD Multi Display (Yellow Text) Custom External Mount - Pioneer 16x DVD 106S Slot - Antec True Power 550W PS - Antec Performance SX800II Series Tower w/ Plexi Side Panel w/ Blowhole + Antec 80MM Green Tri LED Fan - 5 x Antec 80MM Duel Ball Bearing Fans = 3 in Front Intake connected to Antec True Power PS - 2 in Rear Exhaust at full throttle - Sunbeam Cold Cathode Florescent Lighting = 1 x 12" Green Tube + 1 x 12" Yellow Tube installed in Case Interior, 2 x 10" yellow Tubes installed inside Front Panel Grill - iiyama 21" Vision Master 502 Flat Sceen Monitor - Sony 18" SuperFlat LCD Monitor on Digital Optput of ATI 9700 Pro - Microsoft Optical IntelliMouse USB 5 Button Wheel w/Red LED - Microsoft IntlilType Split Keyboard - CH Products USB Flight Sim Yoke + Rudder Pedals - Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D USB Force Feedback Joystick - Logitech Extreme Digital 3D USB Joystick - Microsoft Sidewinder Duel Strike USB Game Controller Joystick - Suncom G-Force Plau Flight Yoke - Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 "Century of Flight" - Windows XP Professional Edition SP1 - Dell AXIM Pocket PC 400MHz with Super Cradle - Rex 6000 Pocket PDA - Sandisk External Multi Memory Card Reader[/size

The thing is with computers you'll almost never get two of the same machines that are identical in all ways. There are sooooo many variables. We're talking different drivers, different chipsets, different combinations of equipment such as HD's, CPU's, motherboards, differences in software, firmware(BIOS), and much more. All of this comes into play, and how your computer is set up and how it is managing system resources, interupts(when hardware tells the CPU it needs attention and wants something), etc.....So you can have one guy who gets great results and another guy who doesn't. There is a lot involved in making a great, smooth running computer. Updating everything is NOT always the answer either. So for eveyone who is having issues with thier game and or system, you may be a little over your head when it comes to making it "go" right. So find a friend or a proffesional to help you out. You'll get better game play and feel less inclined on taking a bat to the monitor. :)hope this puts some prospective on things.

er, the sig is incomplete... I really think we should be told what brand of fuse you use in the plugs...

So far, I'm just completely dazzled by this sim. Since I'm primarily a GA flyer and seldom venture into the flight levels, I'm just amazed. Here under the clouds it's just about the most breathtaking view I've ever seen in a computer simulation. I thought Oleg had the best atmospherics in Forgotten Battles, but now I think the crown has to go to Microsoft! And I'm just ecstatic about the choices of aircraft and the excellent reproductions of them. Is it me, or do they all fly a lot more like aircraft in volatile air, too? I had Lago's Air File Pro in FS2002 to shake things up and keep me thinking. But in a stock Cub, I'm bouncing all over the place now and loving it! It just seems a lot more like actually piloting instead of driving something on rails.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest Jimbofly

To DillollO,You need to remember that you cannot expect a new graphically intensive title to run smoothly in all conditions as soon as its released. The general trend is that software pushes hardware, and if you find that in certain conditions you don't get the performance you want, its simply because hardware hasn't yet completely caught up with all of the requirements from the recently released software title to perform at its best will all settings maxed out.From what I've heard so far FS9 seems to be quite an incredible sim. Even if it's at least as good as FS2002, with some improvements, I'll be keen to get it when its released here on the 11th of August (still waiting...):(James