Sign in to follow this  
MeneMene

Stopping take-offs

In my opinion, one of the main reasons that the FS Ai system is unable to handle large volumes of traffic is that it is much too cautious in holding take-off's when another plane is coming in for a landing on the same runway. Just to test, I started FS9 at JFK at 6 in the evening, along with RCv4 and AI separation. On average, take-off's from 4L froze when an approaching plane was around 10-8 nm out.I don't know the procedure in the real world, but that seems much too early. In the time the take-off's get frozen and the incoming planes land, at least two planes could have taken off.In the real world, are take-off's stopped when a plane is that far out on final? For practicality, based on the timing I think that stopping take-off's at around 5-3 nm would provide good separation, but I don't know how it works in the real world. Also, the distance seems to vary. Sometimes take-off's continue until the last possible moment and work fine, but for the most part I feel that departures are being stopped too early. Any comments?Second, once a plane has landed, why can't a departing aircraft line-up and wait for the landing plane to vacate the runway, instead of remaining off of the runway until the plane exits. This would speed things up considerably.In this video at Gatwick airport: http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Air...ideo-15820.htmlthat exact thing happens. Once the A319 lands, the B744 taxies out into position and then is cleared to take-off once the first plane exits.Can this be implemented in v5? thanks

All items you mention are in the work list regarding your aircraft and separation. RC can't control what FS does to allow AI to take off slowing you down if they are in front of you. Once you are in line and close to the runway edge, you should be cleared fairly swiftly separation permitting. I'm not sure of RC4's incoming separation limits to allow take-off but it is closer in V5 pending your aircraft type, that is how long RC estimates it will take you to get into position and roll on the runway.If you are referring to AI in the take-off queue in FS9 I use AI Smooth that lets me adjust the separation of incoming AI on final. I have it set so that departing AI can squeeze in the string of pearls and so can I. I think it worked in RC4 OK and does in RC5.FS9 and FSX both "clump" arrival AI when AI starts up from a refresh. I run UT 2007 at 100%. By the time I've set up the aircraft and RC the "conga line" is manageable.

In my opinion, one of the main reasons that the FS Ai system is unable to handle large volumes of traffic is that it is much too cautious in holding take-off's when another plane is coming in for a landing on the same runway. Just to test, I started FS9 at JFK at 6 in the evening, along with RCv4 and AI separation. On average, take-off's from 4L froze when an approaching plane was around 10-8 nm out.I don't know the procedure in the real world, but that seems much too early. In the time the take-off's get frozen and the incoming planes land, at least two planes could have taken off.In the real world, are take-off's stopped when a plane is that far out on final? For practicality, based on the timing I think that stopping take-off's at around 5-3 nm would provide good separation, but I don't know how it works in the real world. Also, the distance seems to vary. Sometimes take-off's continue until the last possible moment and work fine, but for the most part I feel that departures are being stopped too early. Any comments?Second, once a plane has landed, why can't a departing aircraft line-up and wait for the landing plane to vacate the runway, instead of remaining off of the runway until the plane exits. This would speed things up considerably.In this video at Gatwick airport: http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Air...ideo-15820.htmlthat exact thing happens. Once the A319 lands, the B744 taxies out into position and then is cleared to take-off once the first plane exits.Can this be implemented in v5? thanks

All items you mention are in the work list regarding your aircraft and separation. RC can't control what FS does to allow AI to take off slowing you down if they are in front of you. Once you are in line and close to the runway edge, you should be cleared fairly swiftly separation permitting. I'm not sure of RC4's incoming separation limits to allow take-off but it is closer in V5 pending your aircraft type, that is how long RC estimates it will take you to get into position and roll on the runway.If you are referring to AI in the take-off queue in FS9 I use AI Smooth that lets me adjust the separation of incoming AI on final. I have it set so that departing AI can squeeze in the string of pearls and so can I. I think it worked in RC4 OK and does in RC5.FS9 and FSX both "clump" arrival AI when AI starts up from a refresh. I run UT 2007 at 100%. By the time I've set up the aircraft and RC the "conga line" is manageable.
Hello allSounds interesting to configure departing and approaching AI via AI Smooth. Please can you post your settings?RegardsMichael

M. Wiendl

pmdg_trijet.jpg

Version 1.20:Distance of AI aircraft to landing aircraft [NM] 3.000000Distance of user aircraft to landing aircraft [NM] 5.000000Heading range for intercept [