Sign in to follow this  
Guest DGlove

TileProxy Texture Resolution problem

Guest DGlove

Wooh first post :DAnyways, I have a problem. TileProxy is a truly amazing freeware creation, and I love it! I'm a little newbie however, and I need some help.I have my texture resolution set to 1.1m/ pixel, and I use virtual earth as the source. When I start my flight off, the small area around the runway appears in great resolution - however, when I fly away (I fly vintage WWI warbirds - cruising at 50kts), the resolution quickly becomes crap! I can pause the game for 15 minutes in the same spot, and when I come back, the resolution is still no better than it was before. The farther I fly from the runway, the resolution becomes worse and worse, and does not change/get better at all. Is there a way I can fix this so the ground updates in real time as I fly over it? Comp. Specs: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4800+ Dual core @ 2.8 GHzATI Radeon HD 5750 4 GB RAM3.5 mbit/sec Internet connectionAlso, are there any fixes in the proxyuser.ini or fsx.cfg that will get ground textures to load faster? I had a similar problem with default FSX ground textures loading somewhat slowly in the past.

Guest DGlove

MORE INFO: I looked at the DOS window while in-flight, and i noticed something peculiar: I see TONS of error messages, particularly timeout ones as well as ones saying "giving up!". I'm not sure if this helps or not, as I do see normal progress messages too - the ones with the text squares w/ text circles in them.I'm helpless right now, and need some professional help :(

MORE INFO: I looked at the DOS window while in-flight, and i noticed something peculiar: I see TONS of error messages, particularly timeout ones as well as ones saying "giving up!". I'm not sure if this helps or not, as I do see normal progress messages too - the ones with the text squares w/ text circles in them.I'm helpless right now, and need some professional help :(
Hopefully, you've come to the right place...There are a lot of possibilities... like flying OUT of the range of available detail imagery. MOST places do NOT have 1.1m imagery. Most of the world is more like 20m!All the error messages/timing out... generally means tiles can't be found or delivered... we generally assume they're available but sometimes they're not. Can you see 1.1m imagery online?Question 1. What airport are you trying to fly out of?Question 2. Do a Windows Search of the specific cache folder you are using and see what tiles were download at the time of your flight.... you can also use the cacheBrowser but it takes some practice...and you won't see tile names, just the geographic collection, selectable by tile level (resolution)Tiles will look like: tile_l17_x12345_y54321.jpgIf I know the location, I can tell you what specific range of x/y numbers to be looking for.As for tweaks/fixes to do this or that.... start reading back through all the posts on various tweaks and take your pick. There is NO one answer. I'm a great believer of defragging and minimizing non-critical processes...read all about TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=[bUFFERPOOLS]PoolSize=FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=Loyd

Guest DGlove
Hopefully, you've come to the right place...There are a lot of possibilities... like flying OUT of the range of available detail imagery. MOST places do NOT have 1.1m imagery. Most of the world is more like 20m!All the error messages/timing out... generally means tiles can't be found or delivered... we generally assume they're available but sometimes they're not. Can you see 1.1m imagery online?Question 1. What airport are you trying to fly out of?Question 2. Do a Windows Search of the specific cache folder you are using and see what tiles were download at the time of your flight.... you can also use the cacheBrowser but it takes some practice...and you won't see tile names, just the geographic collection, selectable by tile level (resolution)Tiles will look like: tile_l17_x12345_y54321.jpgIf I know the location, I can tell you what specific range of x/y numbers to be looking for.As for tweaks/fixes to do this or that.... start reading back through all the posts on various tweaks and take your pick. There is NO one answer. I'm a great believer of defragging and minimizing non-critical processes...read all about TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=[bUFFERPOOLS]PoolSize=FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=Loyd
Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated!But anyways, I am not flying out of the range of detailed imagery. I fly out of Livermore Municipal Airport (KLVK) near San Francisco, CA (my hometown :( ) I am assuming there is available hi-res imagery for my area, as I can go on both virtual earth AND bing maps (my other source) and can see myself sitting on my backyard porch playing with my dog :( .After reading the TileProxy 8 User Manual, I found something relating to my problem having to do with blacklisting - I think my tileproxy can find the tiles necessary, but I am using so many simultaneous connections to the server that it is blacklisting me - If i switch services (i.e. bing - virtual earth) on the next flight, the tiles load normally, but when they try to load in-flight, they give me that stupid error message and fail to load anymore. I dont know if that's the problem, but I think it may have something to do with that.Answer 1: I am flying out of Livermore Municipal (KLVK)Answer 2: For this one, I have a question: How do I find the specific cache folder I am using? I used the cachebrowser, but quickly got lost, and had little luck with windows search, as I do not know what to search for :( I feel like a little newbie right now!But I have defragged, I eliminate unnecessary processes, and now I have tweaked numerous different variables in the fsx.cfg file, including bufferpools, fiber frame time fraction, texture bandwith mult, and a few others.Again, thanks for the help!-Dan

Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated!After reading the TileProxy 8 User Manual, I found something relating to my problem having to do with blacklisting - I think my tileproxy can find the tiles necessary, but I am using so many simultaneous connections to the server that it is blacklisting me - If i switch services (i.e. bing - virtual earth) on the next flight, the tiles load normally, but when they try to load in-flight, they give me that stupid error message and fail to load anymore. I dont know if that's the problem, but I think it may have something to do with that.
There shouldn't be anything wrong with KLVK area; I've been there and had no problems...but 10 always seemed kinda high to me; I usemodule_config="conn=5|rate=1.0...
Answer 2: For this one, I have a question: How do I find the specific cache folder I am using? I used the cachebrowser, but quickly got lost, and had little luck with windows search, as I do not know what to search for :( I feel like a little newbie right now!
The cache folder is whatever you have specified in the .ini for the selected service
[serviceA]#-----------------------------------cache_folder=D:\cacheEUS  ##  <<<< --- this is the cache folder in use with this servicenetwork_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=5|rate=1.0|verb .....min_level=10max_level=16map_version=409#-------------10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17__guidelevel_mapping=10,10,12,13,14,15,16#------------color_hack=Nocolor_level=13bulk_extend=50

Using the cache browser just takes a little practice - Just stay away from that DELETE TILES button!1. Browser always opens with whatever cache is first in the list... this is not necessarily the one you are using; if not, you must select the active service to load the browser with that information.2. you have two boxes with tile levels indicated. This lets you select tiles from a minimum size to a maximum size. If you want the least confusion, set both to the highest level you think you may have downloaded.3. The browser can select based on the dates the files were created - this is the box above the buttons; it defaults to 999, I think. If you set this to 0, you should only see tiles created today and as you allow that number to increase and show older and older tiles, you should be able to recognize the pattern in the tiles that matches where you were flying.4. To zoom in, just click on the map and drag to make a rectangle; then click "Zoom In". There is no Zoom out except for full size.5. The actual tiles are in the cache folder of course - the one listed, as I said, for the selected service in the ini.6. To physically find, open Windows Explorer. Navigate to the cache folder but Right-Click and select "search" and in the search box enter "*.jpg" and watch while it lists all the jpg image tiles you have. The results can be sorted by date and if you view in the 'thumbnails' mode you should be able to occasionally identify some of the images.You can't really get into something that requires lots of user involvement like TileProxy without being conversant with Windows and many of the tools that it has. Explorer and the Windows search feature are essential. Even DOS and the command window have been invaluable for me (but I've "been around the block" a few times and am comfortable with common DOS commands)Try lowering those simultaneous connections - even at the very modest number I use (4), I can't make scenery fast enough to put a strain even on this low rate.Best of luck.Loyd

Guest DGlove
There shouldn't be anything wrong with KLVK area; I've been there and had no problems...but 10 always seemed kinda high to me; I usemodule_config="conn=5|rate=1.0...The cache folder is whatever you have specified in the .ini for the selected service
[serviceA]#-----------------------------------cache_folder=D:\cacheEUS ## <<<< --- this is the cache folder in use with this servicenetwork_module=libnettilemodule_config="conn=5|rate=1.0|verb .....min_level=10max_level=16map_version=409#-------------10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17__guidelevel_mapping=10,10,12,13,14,15,16#------------color_hack=Nocolor_level=13bulk_extend=50

Using the cache browser just takes a little practice - Just stay away from that DELETE TILES button!1. Browser always opens with whatever cache is first in the list... this is not necessarily the one you are using; if not, you must select the active service to load the browser with that information.2. you have two boxes with tile levels indicated. This lets you select tiles from a minimum size to a maximum size. If you want the least confusion, set both to the highest level you think you may have downloaded.3. The browser can select based on the dates the files were created - this is the box above the buttons; it defaults to 999, I think. If you set this to 0, you should only see tiles created today and as you allow that number to increase and show older and older tiles, you should be able to recognize the pattern in the tiles that matches where you were flying.4. To zoom in, just click on the map and drag to make a rectangle; then click "Zoom In". There is no Zoom out except for full size.5. The actual tiles are in the cache folder of course - the one listed, as I said, for the selected service in the ini.6. To physically find, open Windows Explorer. Navigate to the cache folder but Right-Click and select "search" and in the search box enter "*.jpg" and watch while it lists all the jpg image tiles you have. The results can be sorted by date and if you view in the 'thumbnails' mode you should be able to occasionally identify some of the images.You can't really get into something that requires lots of user involvement like TileProxy without being conversant with Windows and many of the tools that it has. Explorer and the Windows search feature are essential. Even DOS and the command window have been invaluable for me (but I've "been around the block" a few times and am comfortable with common DOS commands)Try lowering those simultaneous connections - even at the very modest number I use (4), I can't make scenery fast enough to put a strain even on this low rate.Best of luck.Loyd

Thanks for the help Loyd, it is greatly appreciated :( However, I am still having some nasty issues that wont go away. I tried your suggestion in editing the module_config section of the proxyuser.ini file, but that changes little - I still am getting the "transfer error" "timeout" and "giving up" error messages! I tried as low as one connection to the server, and that still did nothing. It doesnt matter to me if the scenery loads slow or not as of right now, just if it loads in general :( But thanks for the tips regarding to the cachebrowser and the tiles in general, when I get back to my main flight simming PC, i will answer your question in the previous post and hopefully that will get us somewhere! If only i had your brains! You sound like you know what you're talking about :( Again, thanks for the help; I will keep plugging away at this problem until i get TileProxy to work to its full extent!Oh, and one last note: I have a wireless internet connection; does that pose a problem to the functioning of the program? I still have an almost 3 mbit/sec transfer rate, and I just wanted to check if that was the reason why I was having transfer problems with the servers.Thanks for the help.-Dan

Hi , Tile Proxy is telling you it cannot find trhe data - it sounds to me like you have issues with data transfer, not with settings. I have a wireless connection and a hard wired connnection for my 2 PC's and since I use the hardwired option for my tileproxy PC, I have never had any similar errors, but I did when using the wireless modem on occasions. Cheers,Mark

Guest DGlove
Hi , Tile Proxy is telling you it cannot find trhe data - it sounds to me like you have issues with data transfer, not with settings. I have a wireless connection and a hard wired connnection for my 2 PC's and since I use the hardwired option for my tileproxy PC, I have never had any similar errors, but I did when using the wireless modem on occasions. Cheers,Mark
That's what I was thinking was wrong - now the question is, how can I get around this? For a wireless connection, I do have good signal strength and my download speed more than meets the TileProxy specs: can sometimes get as high as 3.5 mbit/sec. How can I configure my wireless internet to be able to work seamlessly with TileProxy? I understand that there will be errors on occasion, but I know that there must be ways to get the software to work - these stupid "transfer error #", "timeout", and "giving up!" errors can't stay forever :( Any help is greatly appreciated!Anyways, thanks Mark!!! :( -Dan

Just tried Service 3 yesterday and I also got a lot of timeouts and Tileproxy crash. Haven't tried Service 3 for about a year, but I gust guessed they either had added a filter to block users like us reaching their maps, or that the demand was too high, so the server was overloading.

Guest DGlove
Just tried Service 3 yesterday and I also got a lot of timeouts and Tileproxy crash. Haven't tried Service 3 for about a year, but I gust guessed they either had added a filter to block users like us reaching their maps, or that the demand was too high, so the server was overloading.
Whew, I'm not the only one :( However, I get these problems on every server offered by tileproxy, and I need help configuring either my wireless internet connection or the program itself!