Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

FS2004 daytime water texture is too light - looks like tropical water!

Guest flightjunkie

Does anyone find the water texture in FS2004 during the day to be too light of a blue color? It looks like water you would only find in shallow water in tropical places like the Maldives or the Bahamas.

Your right but you better kill this thread before you get labeled as a troll for complaining about this new and wonderful sim (smile). Go take a flight around 25,000ft and tell me how your computer handles the framerates, I would like to know... By the way what kind of video card do you have and can you get the Sim to display a full overcast above the clouds (things look great below them so don't worry about that)???Take care and be careful about how you post your findings because people here will tear you apart about your observations...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Actually Dill, YOU are being labeled as a troll in my books, not because you complain, but because you take a swipe at the SAME PROBLEM that you've mentioned the last few times you've replied. Calm down, the simulator is officially released today. We'll start seeing enhancements soon. But PLEASE stop b****ing, because it's not doing anything for you, FS2004, or any of us. Be patient. If you can't wait, go back to FS2002, period. But stop moaning every time someone says ANYTHING about FS2004. Please. :-rollBest regards,Daniel P.

Guest flightjunkie

Oh, I love FS2004. I only post this so that people who have the skills can perhaps enhance it like FSSkyWorld enhanced FS2002 and I believe people like Chris Willis will release updates and enhancements to things that MS didn't think about or have the resources to implement.I get decent frame rates, but only if I turn off Anti-aliasing or Antitropic filtering. The graphics look a bit scraggly but I can deal with it if it means I can fly through heavy 100% cloud cover without much stuttering.

Daniel all I'm trying to do is find out if the overcast problem is related to ATI cards or just a problem with FS in general. You don't know unless you ask and I don't think Microsoft is going to fix this sim, they didn't fix FS2k2... If this is ultimately an FS problem I guess I have nothing more to say because it might just be unfixable (unless Microsoft releases a patch)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Go Danny, go Danny go! :-lol I'm going to have to agree with you though but I'm sure the powers that be i.e. kind freeware developers will soon release something to change things about like they did for FS2002. It doesn't look as bad as I thought the default FS2002 water looked.[strong]Adam Nardone[/strong] Web & Graphic Design www.ion-media.net [/p]

Guest Daniel Pimentel

Dill: I understand, but your first sentence is not related to that. I just want you to realize, if anyone calls you a troll, it's because you are taking stabs at those who don't have problems like you do. That's not the way to go, and if you just started your own thread for your question, I think you'd get a much warmer response (especially if you stop dissing those who think the sim is great) Believe me, I am the first to say that certain people are not objective in their reports about FS2004... But such things can REALLY cause people to jump on you.Best regards,Daniel P.

Dill,To trying drive the last nail into the coffin here but Dan has a point. Anyway guys, we're all meant to be united as flight simmers so lets shake hands and move on.Hope you're keeping well Daniel, we haven't spoken for... well... too longer a time so drop me a line sometime.[strong]Adam Nardone[/strong] Web & Graphic Design www.ion-media.net [/p]

Yes.I've found the same light blue/greenish color when flying from KSEA.What was strange is that after turing west over downtown Seattle andcircling back towards KSEA, the greenish-blue water color suddenlychanged to a truer blue for that area. After about 10 minutes of being airborn the water color looked good.I had my weather setting set to extreme. Could this be why? We all know the water color should change basedon time of day and location, but I would not think it should change this drastically in a 10 minute period ....JerryG.P.S. Not a big deal, but the tropical water color in KSEA is strange.P.P.S. If you fly real low where the cranes appear along the KSEA area docks, you can see the waves moving along the shore. Nice!

I agree, the default water IS too bright. If you go to a tropical island, the surrounding water even looks neon blue. Fortunately, there is a wonderful addon for FS2002 that still works well in this sim--Ed Truthan's water textures.I just finished installing them and they look much more realistic IMHO. However, if you are going to install his oceansfx files (the animation bitmaps), there is something you have to take note of; FS2004 uses 32 frames of animation for the water movement instead of the 16 used in FS2002, so you will have to copy the files over twice so that the animation will remain consistant. But if you are using the bumpmapping option (the high quality water slider) then you don't need to worry about using his animation textures at all.I'll post comparison shots later when I get the chance.-Derek