Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Fish strike!

Now that Captain Sully has called to attention bird strikes-this is the first fish strike I have heard of! We need this pronto in fs! :( http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cado...&srchtype=3 In case the link doesn't work:Detail InformationUser Name:Boles, Will Date:2009-07-27 Further Action Required:Yes O.P.I.:Commercial & Business Aviation Narrative:The (Air Canada) Jazz Air Limited Partnership de Havilland DHC-8 aircraft (operating as flight JZA7710) was departing on a scheduled IFR flight from London International Airport (CYXU) to Toronto (LBPIA) (CYYZ). It was reported that the aircraft impacted with a fish on takeoff roll and rejected the takeoff. Update 109348-V2 The aircraft was on takeoff roll when an overflying osprey dropped a fish (carp) which impacted the aircraft.

Guest UlfB

:( That was a good one.Something fishy with that story, isn't it? :(

If the fish impacted rear end first, I suppose it should have been reported as a 'tail strike'. Always somebody carping about one thing or another!Alex Reid

If the fish impacted rear end first, I suppose it should have been reported as a 'tail strike'. Always somebody carping about one thing or another!Alex Reid
That is clever, thanks for the grin it gave me!Best regards,Mel

That is clever, thanks for the grin it gave me!Best regards,Mel
I expected to see a incident date of April the first, but no, it was on 2009-07-25. Only in Canada!

Sure, and you notice the osprey got the blame when everyone knows it is those pesky Canadian carp trying to learn to fly.Mel

Guest jonthedoors

Some day, somewhere, it had to happen at some point!! Lol!

this is the first fish strike I have heard of!
Geofa, hanks so much! You've made my day :( Though of course no emergency situation is funny.But now that we know everything's fine, the mere idea of a 'fish strike' (a carp, lol!) gives me such a big laugh.

Absolutely awesome. Osprey (my favourite kind of bird) takes out airliner (my least favourite kind of airplane) with fish ordnance. That totally made my day. Thanks for posting that Geof. :)-Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Resources probably checked the pilots for fishing licenses. :( JimCYWG

Ah, come on now. Look at the date on the news clipping - April 1, 1987.
Ah, come on now. Read the article all the way to the end!
When the story broke in the national press two days later

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I like that last little bit of the story..."fly fishing".What you using fer bait today Bill?A 737-200...you should see em jump for it!!ChuckCYXU