Sign in to follow this  
ctcav8r

FSX Performance...

Same question as many more before me no doubt, different outcome I hope!I had the following computer assembled for me about 1.5 years ago:Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHzRAM 4.00GBWindows 7 32 bit OSNVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (latest driver installed)400GB main Hard driveWD 1TB External Hard driveRunning an FSX profile in NHancerASUS Smartdoctor fan/hyperdrive controlFSX AccelerationVarious Scenery addons (Mainly New Zealand/FTX Australia)Various addon Aircraft (Level D 767, PMDG J41, Carenado a/c.... etc etc etc)Anywho, I have the following problems ALL the time:* FSX takes about 5-8 minutes to load* FSX hangs in 'Free Flight' menu when I click on "change aircraft", "change location" (for about 1-2 minutes) and then again when I select an a/c / location* Getting frame rate of about max 10-12 fps* WORST of all is that it continually crashes saying there isn't enough virtual memory available* VC displays when cycling between diff views (say between outside views and then back inside) only a pale grey VC texture (no instruments etc) for about 30secs - 1minute then it goes back to normal.* Other 'visual' problems - black boxes where landing/taxi lights should be (again for about 30secs - 1min)Boxes at major aerodromes where lighting is (say PAPI) and textures take ages to load like VC problem above (everything 1 tone pale grey texture - 30sec-1min)Slow loading of scenery when I fly over it (blurries)I'm not saying this is an amazing setup (hardware), but I'm sure I shouldn't be having this many problems with FSX...I've tried tweak after tweak after tweak (can't even remember how many), reinstalled FSX (good to start with - then gets progresssively worse again), installed ALL program files (except Windows & FSX (and FSX related files)) on a seperate HD so as to keep disk space free.... I do have most settings turned up, but believe this system should be able to handle it..I'm new to AVSIM forum and have read so many good pieces of advice that I hope someone would be able to help me.Happy to provide any more info people might need.CheersPhil

"I do have most settings turned up, but believe this system should be able to handle it.."Did you try turning down the settings?My i7 setup even lags and jumps around with odd FPS all the time. I ran the same quad core with a better memory card and more ram, and I couldn't even get 1 FPS in New York. Don't assume much with FSX. It's a beast.

PhilYou said:"WORST of all is that it continually crashes saying there isn't enough virtual memory available"This is a limitation of a 32-bit OS you would be better switching to a 64-bit OS - or if you can't use the /3GB /USERVA=2560 switch via bcedit.You say that you have an EXTERNAL HDD - if that contains FSX but is connected via USB 2.0 then you will get issues like you describe. Loading times would be interminable! :( However, if it is an eSATA drive then that's OK, but a slow HDD will keep the loading times slow.If FSX is on the internal HDD - has it got its own partition and how full is that HDD?That Q6600 should run FSX pretty well, however the 8800GTS is an "older" type video card and one of the GTX2xx series (from 260 upwards not SLI) would be better.Hopefully you could solve most of the issues my rationalising the way you have FSX installed.RegardsPeterH

Regarding fps, I used to get fps between 20-30... back in the good ol' days! :( I might experiment with sliders. I have been using the recommended settigns that come with my addon scenery.Windows 7 comes with a 64 bit installation disc... how hard is it to switch?I'm guessing a complete reinstall...? And what are issues/limitations regading this?My FSX is on my internal HDD - as I mentioned before, I deliberately did this to limit other program files clashing and taking up space.My Internal HDD is 400GB and is about 45% used.I had thought about partitioning... would that help drastically? My laptop used to be partitioned, but that was done for me.I might consider investing in a diff video card. I remember at the time when my computer was being built, the guy doing it said I'd need more power.Thanks for suggestions so far!! Any more ideas, links, suggestions... keep em' coming! :( Phil

Regarding fps, I used to get fps between 20-30... back in the good ol' days! :( I might experiment with sliders. I have been using the recommended settigns that come with my addon scenery.Windows 7 comes with a 64 bit installation disc... how hard is it to switch?I'm guessing a complete reinstall...? And what are issues/limitations regading this?My FSX is on my internal HDD - as I mentioned before, I deliberately did this to limit other program files clashing and taking up space.My Internal HDD is 400GB and is about 45% used.I had thought about partitioning... would that help drastically? My laptop used to be partitioned, but that was done for me.I might consider investing in a diff video card. I remember at the time when my computer was being built, the guy doing it said I'd need more power.Thanks for suggestions so far!! Any more ideas, links, suggestions... keep em' coming! :( Phil
HelloJust curious , why did you install W7 32bit when you have a 64bit processor and W7 64bit available to you?Moving to W7 64 will require a clean install but will cure your OOM issues, it is really worth doingI would also invest in another Hard disk and install FSX on that with W7 64bit installed on your existing C:\ driveThe suggestion for getting a GTX 260 216sp is a good one , much faster than your existing card.Install a good CPU cooler and OC that Q6600 to 3.2 ghz which it will easily achieve.

Anywho, I have the following problems ALL the time:* FSX takes about 5-8 minutes to load* FSX hangs in 'Free Flight' menu when I click on "change aircraft", "change location" (for about 1-2 minutes) and then again when I select an a/c / location* Getting frame rate of about max 10-12 fps* WORST of all is that it continually crashes saying there isn't enough virtual memory available* VC displays when cycling between diff views (say between outside views and then back inside) only a pale grey VC texture (no instruments etc) for about 30secs - 1minute then it goes back to normal.* Slow loading of scenery when I fly over it (blurries)
I have all those problems except the VC flash and virtual memory issues, I use Vista x64Check my system specs - very similar to what you have. I have a lot of addon planes, and UTX, GEX, FEX, so my initial startup flight from a fresh reboot sometimes takes 5-10 minutes. I do get much higher than 12 fps though - I get about 30 fps locked in rural areas with default, and around 18 fps in big cities at big airports. I'd suggest using the FSX Tweak page and also using the FPS limited - and staying out of large cities.http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...5251&st=125

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Cheers for the good advice so far guys!A lot of things to try out here.I may have got confused as to why I installed W7 32bit... I thought I'd read on a website for something to check in System Properties and it told me 32bit.. but this was just probably Vista 32bit... will definitely try reinstalling W7 64bitRegarding another Hard Drive, the only things that are on my C: are system files and FSX (plus a few other niggly bits and pieces) would it be more worthwhile to partition C: as someone else mentioned? All other Program files are on Ext HD.Regarding GPU - happy to look at buying a newer graphics card... is it worth waiting til the new ones get released? Don't know much about them - just heard lots of people in these forums saying to wait til the new ones come out so either a) you can get top spec :( 2xx series prices will come down. Also, I'm a sucker for spending $$ where I don't need to, I want the BEST graphics card I can get - without getting something that my system can't handle or won't get full use out of. So what would people suggest if I take the advice of people on here and make changes mentioned eg W7 64bit, new HD/partition, OC to 3.2MHz, CPU cooler etc - what Graphics card would be best (probably sticking to the NVidia GEForce series)Thanks for the links Ryan, I will have a look at theses.Regarding staying out of major cities.... lucky I live in NZ!! :( :(

Cheers for the good advice so far guys!A lot of things to try out here.I may have got confused as to why I installed W7 32bit... I thought I'd read on a website for something to check in System Properties and it told me 32bit.. but this was just probably Vista 32bit... will definitely try reinstalling W7 64bitRegarding another Hard Drive, the only things that are on my C: are system files and FSX (plus a few other niggly bits and pieces) would it be more worthwhile to partition C: as someone else mentioned? All other Program files are on Ext HD.Regarding GPU - happy to look at buying a newer graphics card... is it worth waiting til the new ones get released? Don't know much about them - just heard lots of people in these forums saying to wait til the new ones come out so either a) you can get top spec :( 2xx series prices will come down. Also, I'm a sucker for spending $ where I don't need to, I want the BEST graphics card I can get - without getting something that my system can't handle or won't get full use out of. So what would people suggest if I take the advice of people on here and make changes mentioned eg W7 64bit, new HD/partition, OC to 3.2MHz, CPU cooler etc - what Graphics card would be best (probably sticking to the NVidia GEForce series)Thanks for the links Ryan, I will have a look at theses.Regarding staying out of major cities.... lucky I live in NZ!! :( :(
Spend the money on a new CPU + More RAM. Get your computer future-proofed for the new GPU's once they come out. You really can't go wrong with a i7-920. Might need a new mobo as well but 100% worth it in my opinion. I bought my new GPU before my CPU and it didn't help my FSX FPS out much at all. I got the new GPU and am able to stay stable in most cities with near max settings. I think when we see the 6 - 8 core CPU's is when we'll really see major improvements in FPS with FSX.

So it sounds like I need to spend some dosh...Can anyone with a bit of nouse (and a good setup) give me some advice on the following upgrades:Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz - upgrade to Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (and overclock?)RAM 4.00GB - not sure about this... with amounts (size) and brands and speeds... What does Tri band mean? forums I've read say i7 processors need tri band memory...P5K SE Motherboard - upgrade to X58 Motherboard (what brand? Intel?)Windows 7 32 bit OS - change to W7 64 bitNVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (latest driver installed) - upgrade to GTX 260 216SP - again what brands? I thought NVidia made them lol (Amaze, Asus, BFG, EVGA, Galaxy, Gigabyte, MSI...????)400GB main Hard drive - maybe add an internal HD for FSX - Western Digital Velociraptor 16MB 300GBCooling... don't know what I have. but it seems to be controlled by SmartDoctor.. advice? and QUIET as poss!!!PSU... again not sure... ideas pleaseWD 1TB External Hard driveFunny thing is, sounds like a complete rebuild! *sigh* Will prob do step-by-step - processor first?Thanks for all the advice so far - people are pointing me int he right direction of good upgrades without spending too muchTHANKS HEAPS!!Phil

So it sounds like I need to spend some dosh...Can anyone with a bit of nouse (and a good setup) give me some advice on the following upgrades:Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz - upgrade to Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (and overclock?)RAM 4.00GB - not sure about this... with amounts (size) and brands and speeds... What does Tri band mean? forums I've read say i7 processors need tri band memory...P5K SE Motherboard - upgrade to X58 Motherboard (what brand? Intel?)Windows 7 32 bit OS - change to W7 64 bitNVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (latest driver installed) - upgrade to GTX 260 216SP - again what brands? I thought NVidia made them lol (Amaze, Asus, BFG, EVGA, Galaxy, Gigabyte, MSI...????)400GB main Hard drive - maybe add an internal HD for FSX - Western Digital Velociraptor 16MB 300GBCooling... don't know what I have. but it seems to be controlled by SmartDoctor.. advice? and QUIET as poss!!!PSU... again not sure... ideas pleaseWD 1TB External Hard driveFunny thing is, sounds like a complete rebuild! *sigh* Will prob do step-by-step - processor first?Thanks for all the advice so far - people are pointing me int he right direction of good upgrades without spending too muchTHANKS HEAPS!!Phil
i7 920 would be fine, get an aftermarket cooler and OC it to at least 4.0GHz.... a good cooler would be something like this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...8-018-_-Product (highest end cooler out there)You mean tri-channel RAM.... yes the i7's are designed to run with tri channel, so you'll want 6GB of good ram, example:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227501mobo, windows 7 x64 is fineVideo card....a GTX260 would be decent, but with a fast i7 system you want to balance out the components. You'd have more benefit if you would get the GTX 285hard drive, velociraptor would be fine. Some guys are getting SSD's but they are really pricey per GB at this timePower supply, don't skimp on this component. It's the most important.... you'll want something like this:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...mp;Tpk=tx%20750

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

So it sounds like I need to spend some dosh...Can anyone with a bit of nouse (and a good setup) give me some advice on the following upgrades: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz - upgrade to Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (and overclock?)RAM 4.00GB - not sure about this... with amounts (size) and brands and speeds... What does Tri band mean? forums I've read say i7 processors need tri band memory...P5K SE Motherboard - upgrade to X58 Motherboard (what brand? Intel?)Windows 7 32 bit OS - change to W7 64 bitNVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (latest driver installed) - upgrade to GTX 260 216SP - again what brands? I thought NVidia made them lol (Amaze, Asus, BFG, EVGA, Galaxy, Gigabyte, MSI...????)400GB main Hard drive - maybe add an internal HD for FSX - Western Digital Velociraptor 16MB 300GBCooling... don't know what I have. but it seems to be controlled by SmartDoctor.. advice? and QUIET as poss!!!PSU... again not sure... ideas pleaseWD 1TB External Hard driveFunny thing is, sounds like a complete rebuild! *sigh* Will prob do step-by-step - processor first?Thanks for all the advice so far - people are pointing me int he right direction of good upgrades without spending too muchTHANKS HEAPS!!Phil
I'll try to give you some suggestion :( You can- 1) Keep your current setup:(No money) Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz - P5K SE Motherboard -RAM 4.00GB, But I would suggest A) install Windows 7 64 bit os, it should help you with your virtual memory problem. :( Try running FSX without a nHancer profile- (It may help you with your fps or it may not - On my set up it hinder/slow my fps) C) Make sure all of your drivers are UP-TO-DATE! AS for your 'visual' problems - black boxes where landing/taxi lights should be- I have the same problem I think its a FSX thing. For your other problems you'll just have to play around with your setting/slider setup to get good fps - Remember FSX is a monster of a beast. :( And finally, if that didn't help you can- 2) Do like I did - upgrade, and tame that beast. :( But its going to set you back a few pounds (lots of money). I have a Intel i7 920 core and just love it!. It Overclocks sooo easy its not even funny. I went from (my old setup-p4 2.8) 15-20fps Mid - settings/sliders and with no Traffic settings; to 35-45 fps with High to Ultra High sitting with high Traffic settings! on stock cpu settings @ 2.66. I have the stock cpu cooler so can't do much O.C.ing. (But I did get it run at 3.6 with no problems). Remember If you do go this way, aka - i7 920, you'll have to get a new Motherboard -X58 chip set (I have a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R and love it), and new DDR3 RAM (Three modules If you want to run 3 channel memory). But you can use everything else like - your Case, Harddrives,CD player, PSU, etc. If you have any more question about upgrading to the i7 core just do a "Google" search. Remember Google is our Friend :( Good luck in your questAzRob