Sign in to follow this  
RobertVA

2004 and Lower End Systems

Anyone out there having any luck with lower end sys's? I.e:AMD 1.3 Ghz512 Meg SDramGeForce 2 400MX 64 meg Card with either the 29.42 or 30.82 drivers (PCI)60 Gig WD HD with 8 Meg "thingy"Thanks all!Ken LeMay

Hi Ken, Numerous folks have posted here indicating good results on a lower end machine. Your machine's biggest limiter, in my opinion, will be the your Video card. That said, if Fs2002 ran acceptably for you, FS2004 should run as well. If you start turning on enhanced features like complex weather or detailed clouds, your machine will be challenged. From my understanding, the sliders don't always mean the same thing from FS2004. For instance, the highest setting for Autogen in FS2002 is the same as a notch or two to the left in FS2004. I have an AMD 1.4 with a Geoforce 3 TI500 and expect to have succes with FS2004. Look for posts by JohnChi here. His specs, other than video card are less than yours and he is very happy with FS2004 and was a beta tester.Tony

Ken, I agree that the card isn't very good!I am using my internet machine, since my gaming one is being upgraded, just installed and on first flight it was amazing!!!!Athlon 1 gig, 1 gig 2100 DDR, Radeon 7200 64 mb Vid card, all sliders maxed, default weather, very, very flyable at TNCM, 15-20 locked at 20, results will vary as shown by some of the posts, but this is what I got and I am thrilled to death!!!!!!!!I HIGHLY recommend it, the screenshots don't do it justice!!!Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir International VAwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi thereAMD 1700XP, 512Mb SDRAM, Geforce 3 64MB graphics card (upgrading to ATI 128Mb card)I get satisfactory performance with sliders at 3/4 for FS2002... Im praying that all will be smooth when FS2004 lands on my doormat..Any feedback, really apprectiated at this nervy time :)

Pretty fair luck at my end...Athlon 900Asus A7V, 51Mb PC133 SDRAMWD 40 Gb ATA100Radeon 9200 256MbI've been fiddling with my settings a lot. Flew into JFK this morning, had to pull things back, between the scenery and the clouds, ate me alive. Last night, around sunset, departed KCOS to the east, cranked things up and was weaving thru beautiful detailed Cumulus up to FL330.I'm having probs with my video card, no haze. It's a card problem, but works fine with 2002. Otherwise, I find 2004 quite usable, just have to adjust things occasionally when the load gets heavy. Plus, I find 14-18fps quite usable, smooth. Others may aim higher, I will whenever I can upgrade.Dave

Guest ScottPilot

However, I have a Visiontek Geforce 4MX 440 64MB card on my system (Which is basically the GF2) and I am getting VERY GOOD results (see my post on this forum). This is with DX9.0b and the Nvidia 4403 drivers.My motherboard is only 2x AGP and the fact is I don't really benefit from upgrading my vid-card without upgrading the motherboard to get a faster AGP bus speed.Even so, 2004COF is running very well (smooth) with no stutters on my system using the MX card.It realy does depend on th individual computer, how it is set up, and how much tweeking was done.I felt I needed to respond to this post because the GF2 & GF4 MX cards are always getting looked down on, but for some of us, they are working out just fine!Someday when I have the bucks to build a faster system, I will upgrade to a higher end vid-card. But until then, I am pretty happy with my system and the GF4 MX card..Happy Simming!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real aviation world.My system specs:PIII 1GHZ DSI Motherboard with 2X AGP and 512MB SDRAMVisiontek Nvidia GeForce 4MX 440 64MB Card running Dual 17" MonitorsNvidia Driver Version: 4403Hurcules Digifire 7.1 Surround Sound Audio Card120GB Hard Disk(s) PartitionedWindows XP Pro SP1 with DX9.0bCH Products Yoke & Rudder pedalsSaitek Cybork Joystick Gold USBFS2004COF and 2002 Pro installed.My average frame rate while flying and on the ground at airports is 14fps (smooth and locked at 15fps)even with the 3D Clouds on. I am also using a screen resoultion of 1024 X 768 32 bit. High enough for my system.

Guest ScottPilot

However, I have a Visiontek Geforce 4MX 440 64MB card on my system (Which is basically the GF2) and I am getting VERY GOOD results (see my post on this forum). This is with DX9.0b and the Nvidia 4403 drivers.My motherboard is only 2x AGP and the fact is I don't really benefit from upgrading my vid-card without upgrading the motherboard to get a faster AGP bus speed.Even so, 2004COF is running very well (smooth) with no stutters on my system using the MX card.It realy does depend on th individual computer, how it is set up, and how much tweeking was done.I felt I needed to respond to this post because the GF2 & GF4 MX cards are always getting looked down on, but for some of us, they are working out just fine!Someday when I have the bucks to build a faster system, I will upgrade to a higher end vid-card. But until then, I am pretty happy with my system and the GF4 MX card..Happy Simming!Scott :-)ATP/CFII - KCOS, in the real aviation world.My system specs:PIII 1GHZ DSI Motherboard with 2X AGP and 512MB SDRAMVisiontek Nvidia GeForce 4MX 440 64MB Card running Dual 17" MonitorsNvidia Driver Version: 4403Hurcules Digifire 7.1 Surround Sound Audio Card120GB Hard Disk(s) PartitionedWindows XP Pro SP1 with DX9.0bCH Products Yoke & Rudder pedalsSaitek Cybork Joystick Gold USBFS2004COF and 2002 Pro installed.My average frame rate while flying and on the ground at airports is 14fps (smooth and locked at 15fps)even with the 3D Clouds on. I am also using a screen resoultion of 1024 X 768 32 bit. High enough for my system.

Guest ScottPilot

I have a P4 1.9 GHz a GeForce2 MX400 graphic card and 256 RAM. I have almost all sliders maxed to the right and Im getting good performance (my fps are in the high teens) Graphicaly it looks good, although there is alittle jagged edges, but I think thats cause of the graphic card I have.

Thanks for all the reply guys, looks like I'll have to giver her a shot! Upgrading the card is sort of a pain with no AGP port...I've heard PCI cards arent the greatest.Thanks again,Ken Lemay

Guest Kurt

No problems for 3 days on an oldBX m/bP3@933512 ramGF2/64M Asus 44.69 driversWin98seKurt M

"I'm having probs with my video card, no haze."Dave, I saw this and I wanted to jump in and offer a suggestion. FS2004 employs several sky color/haze variations. Some seem like there's virtually no haze at all, others seem akin to LA on a bad day. Try cycling the sim forward by date for a dozen or so days, best done around 12 Noon sim time. Take note of what looks most realistic to you, and use that date with your default flight. Hope you find this of some help....-John

JohnCI,Naw, it's definitely a card problem of some sort. Took the Radion out, reinstalled my very old Creative Annihilator and got haze...I get a "Zero Display Service Error" when I install the video drivers (CD or updates from the web), have no idea (nor does ATI...odd?) what it means, otherwise install seems ok. Just absolutely unlimited visibility away from clouds...mountains 20 miles away clear as the ramp in front of the plane...Thanks,DaveA 12 pack or bottle of fav beverage for the person who can figure this one out...(I'm about to format and reload...)

'Bout the only other thing I can suggest is using Rivatuner and tweaking the fog table option. If it's checked, uncheck it.... If it's unchecked, check it. I somewhat recall this being a fix for older ATI cards where the same issue was noted in FS2002....-John

I'm getting about a half dozen FPS outside detail areas with low density aircraft textures (can't see them from cockpit anyway), sparce autogen, and high scenery density. Drops to 3 or 4 in detail areas and stutters on final to some airports. I need to check a bit more as I first noticed stuttering on final after I had activated about 40% AI traffic.Reducing resolution to 800 X 600 doesn't seem to make much difference in frame rate, so I am running at 1024 X 768. Reducing autogen did pick up a frame or two, but NYC lost so many buildings I turned it up from none to medium, then down to sparce. Still looks a lot like I was getting in FS 2002.Numerous bridges missing near mouth of Cheaspeke Bay. Areas tried so far include NYC, Norfolk / Virginia Beach VA USA and Seattle WA north to Everet.Low End system?! I'm running a P III 450Mhz with ATI Rge Fury (32MB) on an ASUS P2BF and 384 MB main RAM