Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest peejayh

Flying FSX and using window mode diffs

I have a 2 duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00 Ghz, 3070 Gb RAM, Windows Vista Premium 32 bit, GeForce 9800 Gx2 and with TH2Go and Saitek X52. (The rig is almost two years old). I go to the Bristol Flight Sim Group, who, when they all fly on line, like folks to go into window mode.So I hit ALT and Enter and my FSX then shrinks from a healthy 40 fps down to a measly 4fps which is quite horrible.A lot of folk have suggested ideas as to how I can overcome this problem but without success.I also have a fourth monitor which I'd like to use FS Commander but when I try to use that as a constant navigational aid it requires window mode and I suffer a savage drop in frame rate which really stops me using the FSC altogether.Has anyone any idea how I can make FSX run at a reasonable frame rate while using window mode.I've got FS9 on an old Pentium 4 and I can employ window mode on that quite happily!!Been fiddling with this problem for over 9 months now...be grateful for any idea which solves it ....Regards

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

FSX needs to pull an immense amount of power from your CPU. I imagine it's probably set to be sending the most amount of power to the active programs on your desktop.When you head into windows mode, it has to start showing data from those programs requiring power from your cores. You might want to try affinity mask settings in your FSX.cfg, setting 1 core to always be free from FSX to run background programs. Other than that, a major overhaul of your PC is probably best. Invest in a quad core, more RAM and windows 7 64-bit.

Don't use fsx myself, but I've read reports of something like when the FSX window touches a certain part of the windows desktop (the task bar I believe), there is a massive slow down. Might want to research that a bit more.

Don't use fsx myself, but I've read reports of something like when the FSX window touches a certain part of the windows desktop (the task bar I believe), there is a massive slow down. Might want to research that a bit more.
red1 may be onto something. In FS9 with triple 2D views in window mode, if any view touches or overlaps the side edge of the monitor, there is a very steep hit on frame rate. Can you grab the sides of the outer views with the mouse and drag them back a wafer so there is no overlap?Surprisingly, most 2D popups can overlap without penalty- except large Overhead or Com popups.Alex Reid