Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

Help with FULL ILS approaches

HiI obtained my copy of Flight Simulator 2004,and I misunderstand something about full ILS approach.I am getting these messages from ATC:"Turn right.. Expect vectors for ILS runway 12 approach Circle to land runway 26"."Cleared for ILS runway 12 approach, enter left pattern Circle to land runway 26".My question is, if I want to hold the approach with the autopilot.1) Should I set the NAV radio to the frequency of Rwy 12 , or maybe to the frequency of Rwy 26?2) Should I set the COURSE to the heading of Rwy 12, or maybe to the heading of Rwy 26?Thanks,Ran

Guest ssurjap

You set the NAV to ILS 12 and your OBS (Course) to runway 12. Runway 26 is sometimes known as the Back Course.You can also check the charts for that kind of approach in the plates.

Well, the problem is, that if I set course on runway 12, I'll probably land on runway 12.But the ATC final clearance is "Clear to land runway 26"The airport is LLBG - Ben Gurion.Thanks

If you plan to fly the ILS coupled to the autopilot you will need to tune the NAV 1 radio to the ILS for runway 12, but at some point prior to reaching the DH on the ILS the Tower expects you to break off the approach and enter a left hand traffic pattern for the active runway which is 26.There is no need to tune anything for runway 26 and actually in real life you would have your missed approach fix tuned into NAV 2 anyway in the event that you lost sight of the landing runway (which is 26) during the circling maneuver.

Is there a way to make the autopilot fly the Left Traffic?Because, I don't really know how to do this manually:)...Thanks,Ran

Why not do the ILS on 26, that way you dont have to circle, i suspect the wind is 260 or in that range and thats why you have to circle.OHN

Guest ssurjap

It could be that Runway 26 doesn't have an ILS.

Guest paulri

This is a normal clearance that you can get at any time in real life. I am really delighted to see that they have put it in. Sure beats the heck out of "cleared for the visual" (FS2002 method) when you are in the soup and the active runway has no instrument approach.This is what is known as a circling approach. Check your approach plate (for runway 12 ILS) to determine the circling minimums at which point you have to break off and go missed (if you do not have a visual contact with the ground). Normally, that is from 600-800 AGL. You might also want to do some research on the various web sites that provide information on this type of approach. NO, you do not make an ILS to 26, probably because 26 does not have an ILS. That is why you are getting a circling clearance. You make the instrument letdown, then circle in visual conditions to land on 26, a runway without instrument approaches. If it had any, they would have probably assigned one to you--like a VOR or GPS (non precision). New learning curve folks, better get with the program (pun intended). :-lolPaul

You can do that, but don't come crying to us when you run off the end of the runway due to a substantial tailwind, break the airplane (or at least the landing gear), and get in all kinds of trouble with the FAA or CAA or whatever, because (a) you didn't follow the tower's instructions and (:( as a result you pranged the airplane. Methinks you won't be flying for a while, since they'll prolly yank your ticket.Oh wait - this isn't the real world we're flying in - I forgot. 8^)Seriously though, you're supposed to do what the tower says, unless you exercise your Pilot In Command rights and say "Unable" (which I suspect FS2004 doesn't support - I don't get my copy until next Monday).Editorial: Circle-to-land approaches are IMO one of the most dangerous events in instrument flying. I would endeavour to not do one in actual IMC or even at night in VFR conditions, to the point of diverting to another airport if necessary - and I'm talking about while flying a small airplane. I can't even imagine doing this in an airliner or whatever.Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

I use circle to land approaches all the time at my airport when I am out practicing ils approaches (with hood in vfr conditions). Reason being my hangar is just off the approach end of runway 36-the active runway (and ils is usually rwy 27 or 9).Therefore I will ask for an ils 27 approach,circle to land runway 36.Gets a practice approach in, and then gets me to my hangar much faster then if I had to taxi all over the airport.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

What I'm asking is how can I circle the runway using the autopilot.Because I do not know how to do that manually.I do not have the time to read the Pilot Handbook, as it is written is English which is not my prefered language..Is there anyway to make the autopilot circle the airport and land in Rwy 26?