I recently upgraded my windows xp 32 bit system from 2GB DDR2 to 4GB DDR2 and replaced my nvidia gforce 6800 256MB with a nvidia gforce 9400 GT 512MB. I know my window xp 32 bit can't use all 4GB of ram. it seems like my frame rates have dropped off some. Before I put the new card in with the upgraded RAM it seemed ok, any ideas why it got slower?Pentium D 2.8ghz4GB DDR2nvidia gforce 9400 GT 512MBwindows xp 32bit

The 9400 GT is a low-end card. Despite being newer than your 6800, it is likely slower for non-shader-heavy games (such as MSFS).

The 9400 GT is a low-end card. Despite being newer than your 6800, it is likely slower for non-shader-heavy games (such as MSFS).
Ok well I might just go back to my old card, or upgrade to something else. Prob have to upgrade my power supply also, thats one of the reasons I went with the 9400 it could run on a 300W

The GT 240 should be a good deal faster than both cards. It's roughly comparable to a 9600 GT, which is still a decent card for FS.

what if i got a gforce gt 240?
A GTX 260 would be even better if you can run to it! :( One of the reasons that you may have experienced a slower system after the RAM upgrade is that on some mobos if you fill all the RAM slots with RAM say for instance in your case 4 x 1 Gb sticks then you can get a slow down in performance. However if you used 2 x 2Gb sticks in the same position as the original sticks then it shouldn't theoretically slow down. Did you match the new RAM to the old RAM? - Or, did you use new ram modules?RegardsPeterH

Before I had 4 512MB DDR2, I don't think I could run a GTX260 it may be to large or might need more power. If I went ahead and got a GT 240 what brand do you recommend?

When buying NV cards I usually recommend buying from one of "the big three", EVGA, BFG, XFX, but Gigabyte and MSI have some really nice overclocked cards as well.

I'd avoid MSI - it's what I use and I ended up returning my OCed 8800GT to factory specs because I was getting BSOD's with major shooter games.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You can find individual examples of failed products from *any* manufacturer. One person's experience with a single product is hardly reason to avoid an entire brand.