Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

GPS, Need Opinions (again) and Seneca Question

Hi all,Thanks to all those who helped me pick out a good payware light twin. I went with the Carenado Seneca, and I really enjoy it, though I was a little dissapointed it didn't really come with much documentation, I don't need an entire POH for a sim, but it would be nice to have the performance charts, weights, and fuel burn numbers, etc. If anyone has something that might be useful for me and wouldn't mind sharing, please let me know.I was also wondering if you guys could tell me a little about (the Garmin 430), Reality XP vs Simflyer. I see they both look great, but the Simflyer is about $32.00 cheaper, jsut wondering why someone would go with the Reality XP GPS, I'm sure they are both fully functional replicas, are they not?Thanks again!Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I'm sure they are both fully functional replicas, are they not?
I wouldn't count on that. I don't own the Simflyer GPS but from what I've heard and read it's some sort of repackaged default GPS when it comes to functionality. The Reality XP however is an almost 100% copy of the real thing. You even have to download the REAL official Garmin manual in order to learn this thing! I don't think you can compare the two.

My understanding is the SimFlyer is a rework of the default FS GPS. The RealityXP GPS is an interface that works with the actual Garmin GPS trainer software running in the background on your computer, as such it will be 100% like the real one... though you can't update it's nav data. Of course, you can't update the FS nav data either. :(

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest takl23

If you are looking at a GPS, go with reality-xp, yes their $49.00 but you can't lose. If you learn it correctly you will be able to get in a real a/c and use it like a pro. Plus, it fits nicely into the Seneca panel.Tim

There's a power-setting chart on the visor... if you have a good monitor/card you should be able to make it out. I went ahead doubled the texture resolution for that bitmap (it's part of the bitmap for the prop), and pasted a new, more readable chart over it. I'd share it with you, but I also got rid of the turbo-charged engines, (turbo-charging is unrealistic in FSX), re-did the prop, made new MP gauges and tachs.. so my chart is for the Lycoming IO-360.The weights are pretty realistic.. and they come up on the loading screen. Be aware and careful when you load it. I've completey re-done my weights and CoGs, but I did test it as is. ALWAYS check the elevator trim before takeoff.. Best way is to use the right-seat view and then pan down to the indicator between the seats (make sure your tank selection is proper while you're there), and remember which setting works for each loading scenario. For example: If I remember correctly, a full load (six occupants with a couple hundred pounds of baggage in both the front and aft compartments) will let you still carry something near 40% fuel... and it makes it quite a bit tail-heavy. With just two front-seat occupants and 100% fuel, it's very nose-heavy. So much so that you'll be well over rotation speed, and still have trouble getting the nose up, if not trimmed properly.And who needs a GPS in FSX ? :( You've got two wonderful Nav radios, with DME, and a perfectly functiong ADF reciever. What's the fun in knowing where you are at all times, and following a big magenta line, by looking at a moving map ? (I blacked out the dummy, and removed the pop-up)

I heard that the Reality XP units used to be around $29.99, I really am having a hard time thinking about spending $50.00 on a GPS gauge, but I would really like to have it for training.JeffSent you a PM Brett.

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Guest takl23
I heard that the Reality XP units used to be around $29.99, I really am having a hard time thinking about spending $50.00 on a GPS gauge, but I would really like to have it for training.JeffSent you a PM Brett.
It is worth it because there isn't anything it doesn't do that real GNS403W/530W doesn't do. Being able to fly a GPS approach to minimums and have a localizer and glideslope available is very nice.Tim

And who needs a GPS in FSX ? :( You've got two wonderful Nav radios, with DME, and a perfectly functiong ADF reciever. What's the fun in knowing where you are at all times, and following a big magenta line, by looking at a moving map ? (I blacked out the dummy, and removed the pop-up)
Caution...........I always read these threads... :( You're right! :( FSX might just become boring because the scenery isn't as good as real life, so it's better to navigate the old & somewhat hazardous way. After all, crashing into mountains, radio towers, or busting protected airspace in FSX has no penalties. But in real life, at least stateside, the ADF is going the way of the Do-Do-bird, and those VORs who's centerline can be up to four miles off will also become extinct one of these days. But really, if you're trying to imitate Amelia Earhart's "last" flight, what fun is it to be able to nail the center line of that island within three feet by following the magenta line.......................instead of crashing into the ocean somewhere and becoming shark bait. Sharks and frigid waters in FSX don't hurt much... As to myself, I'm a big fan of real life aviation GPS. I'll use the computer to lay out a complete flight plan over mountainous areas. Some of the route might be existing VOR airways, and much might deviate for a more direct route. With GPS, we are not limited to hop scotching from VOR to VOR. We plan a more sensible and fuel saving route, but plan for restricted airspaces, terrain, obstacles, fuel, and restroom stops. I'll also check for weather patterns across the entire route, in which the program will figure in wind conditions and the effects on time and fuel.I'll then head over to the airport & enter this route into the color moving map GPS (Garmin 696). My two axis auto-pilot is connected to the GPS and will follow the entire route, but I'll have to manually make altitude changes. While in flight, using the GPS/auto-pilot.........I have more time to become visually aware of the surroundings, as well as scanning for other aircraft. In the meantime, my XM Satellite weather is constantly updating weather for hundreds of miles around, as well as the destination airport. It's also displaying any TFR's that may have popped up (forest fires, etc). I also have a fuel flow gauge that is connected to the GPS. It updates the fuel used, and projected amount of fuel required to get to the destination.With the magenta line of the GPS telling me my exact location within approx. three feet, I can cross check on the sectional for additional information. My head isn't buried in the cockpit, while I triangulate position from several different VOR's. If an emergency pops up, I can quickly hit the nearest button for the closest airport. The frequencies will even load into the comm radio by themselves. But what fun is this being done automatically? Actually, it's a LOT of FUN. I fly in real life to look at the scenery from a different point of view. I live in the Mountain West which is brim full of wonderful panoramic scenery like that of the Grand Canyon, Teton mountains, etc. If my interest in flying just involved twisting knobs to watch needles center and seeing a runway at the end of several hours of bland grayness......................then I might as well just use a computer at home and save vast hoards of cash. Without doubt, a computer can do a good job of duplicating moving needles and bland grayness, as well as a runway at the end. But a computer doesn't even come close to recreating all that fantastic scenery that I share with my spouse and friends while flying my plane in real life. Someday it might, but not yet.So yes, I'm definitely a fan of the moving map magenta line. When VORs disappear across the USA, I won't miss them a bit. I'll always be able to recreate them at the desktop for the sake of nostalgia & boredom prevention..L.Adamson

Ummm.. this isn't a 'benefits of GPS in real life thread'... I had a feeling you'd pop in... I'll let ya off the hook (this time).. lol :(
Sure it is! :) With simulated GPSs becoming based on the real item............then it works well for those who use sims to keep current in real life operations, as well as getting to know a GPS without paying for aircraft time. And those who just like to use flight simulator will know it's more than just a game. And of course it just tears my heart out when I see someone actually believing that using a GPS is "cheating". We wouldn't want someone actually believing that ---- would we? :( At the least, it's just two different views... :( P.S --When you wrote: "And who needs a GPS in FSX ? You've got two wonderful Nav radios, with DME, and a perfectly functiong ADF reciever. "I'm sure you had me in mind.. :)L.Adamson

P.S --When you wrote: "And who needs a GPS in FSX ? You've got two wonderful Nav radios, with DME, and a perfectly functiong ADF reciever. "I'm sure you had me in mind.. :)
Not really in mind (but it entered my mind)... :( I won't debate you (again) over any of this.. unless you want me to dig up our old threads and continue them :(