Sign in to follow this  
EvgenyK

International features

Hi JD,I wonder if you did think about adding a few international features to RC5?I have couple of those in mind:1. Support for metric spaces. Some countries still use meters instead of imperial measurments.2. ATC talks to you in your native language in case you have choosed this.2.a. As a some sub-feature it might be great to have lists of airlines and their preferred languages, so ATC will be talking to AI in a way which is more natural.I understand that recording those things might require too much efforts, so it will be absolutly fine for me if I will be required to record audio before I can hear it, or find some community-contributed files/configs.Also, TTS should be also able to speak in other languages. It was about 6-7 years ago when I had been playing with it.

Hi JD,I wonder if you did think about adding a few international features to RC5?I have couple of those in mind:1. Support for metric spaces. Some countries still use meters instead of imperial measurments.2. ATC talks to you in your native language in case you have choosed this.2.a. As a some sub-feature it might be great to have lists of airlines and their preferred languages, so ATC will be talking to AI in a way which is more natural.I understand that recording those things might require too much efforts, so it will be absolutly fine for me if I will be required to record audio before I can hear it, or find some community-contributed files/configs.Also, TTS should be also able to speak in other languages. It was about 6-7 years ago when I had been playing with it.
1) won't be in v52) possible if enough voices record script. i believe english is still the universal language.TTS also sounds like a robot.jd

Nice suggestions. It is quite hard to imagine that ATC would speak your same native language as English is the international standard for ATC. Better if ATC would have the native accent recorded by different nationalities.I don't have any idea about TTS. :(

Nice suggestions. It is quite hard to imagine that ATC would speak your same native language as English is the international standard for ATC. Better if ATC would have the native accent recorded by different nationalities.I don't have any idea about TTS. :(
Actually controllers communicate in non-English if pilot starts from non-English. Have heard this many times listening to Russian ATCs, and a few times for French ATCs. I don't think international standard prohibits this behaviour.

Actually controllers communicate in non-English if pilot starts from non-English. Have heard this many times listening to Russian ATCs, and a few times for French ATCs. I don't think international standard prohibits this behaviour.
In all countries that I can think of, the languages of ATC are the language used in that country and English, not in any particular order. In the UK and USA there is really no a choice huh :( You can have a radio operator license restricted to your native language. Your skill of English is examined separately these days, if you want to use it.In practise, choice of language seems to depend on many things, but as a general rule professionals tend to use more English than GA. In airspaces where only speakers of the native language are expected to operate, such as a remote airfield with little traffic, native language is more often used. Respectively, it's considered good practise to use or switch back to English if any other traffic not understanding the native language is on the frequency.To comment on Evgeny's ideas:1. Metric would be a nice-to have, as it is used in Russia thru which most of the routes between Asia and Europe go.2. Native language would probably be used very little and very very troublesome to create!3. This is a super good idea if the number of voice sets and accents available is sufficient.

1. Metric would be a nice-to have, as it is used in Russia thru which most of the routes between Asia and Europe go.2. Native language would probably be used very little and very very troublesome to create!3. This is a super good idea if the number of voice sets and accents available is sufficient.
I guess that to reduce load on JD and his team 2 and 3 might be done via community. Most question is about translation (2) and recording (2 and 3). My idea is mostly about providing way for community to add this in some standard (from RC point of view) way.

I guess that to reduce load on JD and his team 2 and 3 might be done via community. Most question is about translation (2) and recording (2 and 3). My idea is mostly about providing way for community to add this in some standard (from RC point of view) way.
All the translating etc is going to be difficult, especially when most of the beta team speaks only english.But we're for sure going to be looking for volunteers to record in english when the time comes - Since you're all so keen to record, I take it everyone in this thread will at least record in english right? :(Seriously though, let me know if you want your name put down now, so we can contact you when recording is going to start later on.Subs

Sure, count on me for Russian (accent and translation). I've just sent you PM with my mail.Note: the earlier I'll get English scripts the better quality translation will be, because phraseology has a lot of specifics I will need to dig into.

Sure, count on me for Russian (accent and translation). I've just sent you PM with my mail.Note: the earlier I'll get English scripts the better quality translation will be, because phraseology has a lot of specifics I will need to dig into.
Thanks, I got your email. I'm not sure if other languages other than english will be needed for v5, but we'll certainy let you know when the time comes. I've recorded all your details so I'll be able to contact you easily later.Thanks again,Subs