Sign in to follow this  
MahrVehl

Autopilot - Beginner

Hi pilots or pilots-to-be, I've just gotten my awesome MD-11 and I'm very happy with it, however It's "to hard" for me to use. When the annoying lady says something I freak out and I try to solve it but I don't. When I disengage my autopilot like click AFS OVRD 1 and 2 the robo-lady says "autopilot" forever, and when I'm taking off It says "Stabilizer" continuously. I'm very un-familiar with this aircraft since I just got it and It operates very differently, than Boeing! Regards, Andrew Coz

Guest Alias
Hi pilots or pilots-to-be, I've just gotten my awesome MD-11 and I'm very happy with it, however It's "to hard" for me to use. When the annoying lady says something I freak out and I try to solve it but I don't. When I disengage my autopilot like click AFS OVRD 1 and 2 the robo-lady says "autopilot" forever, and when I'm taking off It says "Stabilizer" continuously. I'm very un-familiar with this aircraft since I just got it and It operates very differently, than Boeing! Regards, Andrew Coz
I think you need to go through the tutorial.

Guest sixfourty

I dont think the autopilot override switches are supposed to be used in normal flight, those are for emergencies afaik. You disconnect the Autopilot by pressing the 'Z' button on your keyboard. Press it twice to make the robotic woman shut up :) But yeah, as the previous poster said, you should really do the first tutorial, it teaches you all you need to know to operate the MD-11, even tho it skips on some of the more advanced topics.

All right! I'm try doing that tutorial again.
You also need to know that "######in betty" calls out altitude alerts for approaching altitude targets, also warnings that A/P is disconnected.They are notalways emergency situations,just informative alerts.The MD11 A/P is somewhat of a cross between airbus and boeing.That is why you need to do thetutorials at least once.I personally enjoy flying the MD11 more than Boeing or airbus.Ron

Ron Service

I dont think the autopilot override switches are supposed to be used in normal flight, those are for emergencies afaik. You disconnect the Autopilot by pressing the 'Z' button on your keyboard. Press it twice to make the robotic woman shut up :) But yeah, as the previous poster said, you should really do the first tutorial, it teaches you all you need to know to operate the MD-11, even tho it skips on some of the more advanced topics.
I mapped two keys to my yoke: one for the AP disconnect and one for the A/T. Two each on the buttons turns off the ap and warning and then a/t and the flashing light. Still my favorite bird, but the autoflight techniques do take some getting used to. The profile VNAV is better than Boeings, IMHO.

Doug, the PROF is much better than VNAV. I recommend always using the ATS, even if handflying, unless you have a realistic throttle quadrant. Speed is so important in this bird.

Dan Downs KCRP

You definitely need to take a proper read of the first tutorial to get to grips with the md-11, even if you're familiar with the boeing aircraft sytems (737/747/767 etc) you'll have trouble by just getting into her for the first time and expecting it to be similar

Gavin Price

Doug, the PROF is much better than VNAV. I recommend always using the ATS, even if handflying, unless you have a realistic throttle quadrant. Speed is so important in this bird.
Oh, I completely agree on both points. PROF is great. VNAV is not too good. I do like the Boeing constant speed climb (FL CH), though. That's not bad. I typically leave the AT on until about min+200 or visual so I can handle the retard, reverse, etc.

Okay, now since I've read the Tutorial I'm all good now with Autopilot but there was a warning going on while my flight from Amsterdam Schipol to Milan Malpensa. It said "ABS Disarm" above of the PFD. What do I have to do to make it unlit? I've looked at the overhead panel and find nothing that I can do it solve it.

Okay, now since I've read the Tutorial I'm all good now with Autopilot but there was a warning going on while my flight from Amsterdam Schipol to Milan Malpensa. It said "ABS Disarm" above of the PFD. What do I have to do to make it unlit? I've looked at the overhead panel and find nothing that I can do it solve it.
It means the Autobrakes have disarmed, you should only see that after landing. Please take some time and read the docs, no one here woke up knowing everything about the MD11 we all put a bit of studying in :( Good luck

Rob Prest

It means the Autobrakes have disarmed, you should only see that after landing. Please take some time and read the docs, no one here woke up knowing everything about the MD11 we all put a bit of studying in :( Good luck
The tutorial is great, by the way, because it operates under a "maximum automation" rule, and, IIRC, includes autoland. Sure, there isn't any fun in simming autoland all the time, but if you do the flight as directed without a warning, then it means if you do the same flight with less automation, and get a bunch of errors, you're doing something wrong. From personal experience, as an example, I would would apply landing flaps before dropping gear and get the gear warning (a habit I have from the smaller planes I fly), so I realized that a gear warning wasn't SOP and figured out that the gear goes down before the final flaps. Now, I an run flights without error or warning pretty routinely.

The tutorial is great, by the way, because it operates under a "maximum automation" rule, and, IIRC, includes autoland. Sure, there isn't any fun in simming autoland all the time, but if you do the flight as directed without a warning, then it means if you do the same flight with less automation, and get a bunch of errors, you're doing something wrong. From personal experience, as an example, I would would apply landing flaps before dropping gear and get the gear warning (a habit I have from the smaller planes I fly), so I realized that a gear warning wasn't SOP and figured out that the gear goes down before the final flaps. Now, I an run flights without error or warning pretty routinely.
Doug,you CAN go to landing flaps before dropping the gear if the situation requires that. Say you are on a final approach 15 miles out, ATC for whatever reason wants you to reduce to final approach speed at that position already. You'd extend to landing flaps but wait with the gear to save fuel and make less noise... Just silence the gear warning with the appropriate button on the centre pedestal.Markus

Markus Burkhard

Doug,you CAN go to landing flaps before dropping the gear if the situation requires that. Say you are on a final approach 15 miles out, ATC for whatever reason wants you to reduce to final approach speed at that position already. You'd extend to landing flaps but wait with the gear to save fuel and make less noise... Just silence the gear warning with the appropriate button on the centre pedestal.Markus
Markus,With the flaps in landing range (>31) and the landing gear up, the warning horn cannot be silenced.(unless it is a customer option, which I strongly doubt)Regards,Harry

When I disengage my autopilot like click AFS OVRD 1 and 2 the robo-lady says "autopilot" forever, and when I'm taking off It says "Stabilizer" continuously.
You never want to touch those switches in normal flight - they are not the AP disconnects. Use Z for that.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com