Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

Trouble - Need systems Sherlock Holmes $ Dr. Watson

Hi guys and guyettes,I sure hope someone here has some ideas on what to do. I really really don't want to do a fresh install as I have over 100G of FSX, so please get your slueth kits out!. While doing some experimenting with beta sceneries I experienced bad framerates, lack of smoothness etc. and when I tried to get an outside view of the aircraft I got a blue screen crash. Obviously I stopped testing the scenery and removed it right away. Things then smoothed over but a strange phenomenon stayed. The GPS dash units in my Lotus L-39 and Aerosoft Beaver would not move or let me adjust them. They stay constant, frozen in one place. However, If I brought down the 2d panel GPS it work great. The indash GPS on the Carenado Mooney and Real Air Duke show only the blue border outline of the screen and no button works or clicks. Also, the dash instruments in all the FSX acceleration aircraft do not function whatsoever, although lit up. One other factor seems that I can not extinguish warning lights in the Aerosoft twin otter or have the switch indicator and warning lights shut off in the Level D overhead. All 2D gps units work in all aircraft, but not the in-dash ones.Now catch this: The Lotus L-39 has models for a payware RXP instead of the GSP. I loaded an RXP model up, and of course it did not work because I don't have it. After I loaded back up the regular bird, the GPS then worked, on all the GPS equipped Albatrosses. Obviously when FSX loaded the GPS back into the aircraft, it fixed it. What do you suppose could cause this dash GPS freeze, certain warning lights in Level D and the Aerosoft Twin Otter to malfunction similtaniously? Besides the rather numbskull pilot, what else is in common? Did the crash cause it, a side effect in the tested software or something else? Any suggestions? What should I do?I'm begging!Stephen :(

Uninstall the two planes.Remove any references to their gauges from your fsx.cfg file.Reinstall the two planes...
I agree id uninstall the planes affected before removing FSX completely. If only id have thought of that last night when i did remove FSX completely :s doesnt it take a long time...................YESlolTom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Uninstall the two planes.Remove any references to their gauges from your fsx.cfg file.Reinstall the two planes...
Ditto!

Stephen, stupid question perhaps, but I'll ask anyway: did you reboot your PC after the crash and/or the weird glitches appeared?

Jim, Tom, McCrash and Dr. Beast,Thanks for responding! 3 Questions:1. Could it be a corruption of Direct X, and if so, how can that be found and re-installed?2. If I uninstall the payware and acceleration aircraft, how do I reinstall the acceleration aircraft without overwriting FSX?Remaining Problem Aircraft (L-39 healed itself):Aerosoft Beaver (GPS)Aerosoft Twin Otter (Warning Lights & switches)Level D 767 (Warning lights and switches)Real Air Duke, (GPS)Carenado Mooney (GPS)All Acceleration Aircraft (Instruments)3. Any notion what might have cause it?4. Something has to be in common (besides me), I wonder what?

Hopefully there isn't actually a hardware problem them happened to develope at the time you were using the beta sceneries you were testing. I had that happen once myself. I installed a new a/c and started having all types of problems with crashes. I figured it was the new a/c causing problems so I uninstalled it and problems still remained. To make a long story short it ended up being a stick of RAM that went bad at the time I installed the new plane. What a coincidence though, I thought for sure it had to be the plane since that was the only thing I had done different since I started having problems.The sceneries that you were beta testing, did they have automated installers? The reason I ask is that sometimes they will installed parts of a scenery to multiple locations in the FSX directory, like the effects folder, texture folder, and other places besides just the root folder of the new scenery. Then when you remove using the installer I may not get all the pieces it installed a leave remains in the other folders. I have had that happen to me a few times as well. Now when I install new sceneries I will install them on my other computer first to a dummy FSX install just to see what it actaully installs and where.You could also look at your exe.xml and dll.xml to make sure that there are no changes to it or syntax errors. Maybe remove the fsx.cfg and let the sim rebuild a new one also along with removing and reinstalling the a/c you are haing problems with.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Jim, Tom, McCrash and Dr. Beast,Thanks for responding! 3 Questions:1. Could it be a corruption of Direct X, and if so, how can that be found and re-installed?2. If I uninstall the payware and acceleration aircraft, how do I reinstall the acceleration aircraft without overwriting FSX?Remaining Problem Aircraft (L-39 healed itself):Aerosoft Beaver (GPS)Aerosoft Twin Otter (Warning Lights & switches)Level D 767 (Warning lights and switches)Real Air Duke, (GPS)Carenado Mooney (GPS)All Acceleration Aircraft (Instruments)3. Any notion what might have cause it?4. Something has to be in common (besides me), I wonder what?
HiHave you try'ed that "Gauges Recovery 1.2 for FSX", find it here at Avsim.... maybe a shot in the dark, but.... :( Stein-Ove

Thanks,After more tests the following aircraft are adversly affected:Lotus L-39 (frozen GPS) - that will heal itself each time if I replace the default with a payware GPS model, then replace with a default model.Aerosoft Beaver (frozen GPS)Aerosoft Twin Otter (warning lights)Level D 767 (overhead lights and switches)Carenado Mooney (frozen gps)Acceleration F-18 (all guages)Acceleration Agusta Westland (all guages)Acceleration P-51 (all guages)As an attempt at remedy I have reinstalled Direct X, ran guages recovery FSX, numerous restarts all without success. I am goig to try to reinstall a driver I had run successfully for months: 185.50 to see if that helps.One huge question:How do I reinstall the acceleration aircraft safely without it overwriting all of FSX?StephenHere is a big clue, I think:What is it that the Lotus software does when it reloads a GPS equipped bird after a RXP equipped bird?

It was a driver corruption issue. I reinstalled 185.50 and everything, speed, smoothness and GPS and instruments are all back and running sweetly. I think the trouble may have started a few days ago when I installed what I thought was a couple of neat things from Nvidia to watch some sample videos that refused to work. Thank you for your expressed concerns, advice, encouragement and help. I feel like I dodged a bullet with my name on it! Man, with such a sense of dread, I must really be seriously hooked on this.. :( Stephen

It was a driver corruption issue. I reinstalled 185.50 and everything, speed, smoothness and GPS and instruments are all back and running sweetly. I think the trouble may have started a few days ago when I installed what I thought was a couple of neat things from Nvidia to watch some sample videos that refused to work. Thank you for your expressed concerns, advice, encouragement and help. I feel like I dodged a bullet with my name on it! Man, with such a sense of dread, I must really be seriously hooked on this.. :( Stephen
Glad to see you got it fixed.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi FolksSpiritFlyer -re: GPS locking up No need to reinstall FSX, Acceleration, addon aircraft, any Service Packs, or Direct X.It was a known and bugged issue in FSX beta testing.It's a result of your PC running low on available resources.Happens more if flying around high FPS impacting scenery,with your sliders set too high.Root cause is usually buggy 3rd party library models,particularly those using old fs9 library model or API derived content.Just either reboot FSX,or restart your PC,but with slightly reduced slider settings.HTHATBPaul

Hi FolksSpiritFlyer -re: GPS locking up No need to reinstall FSX, Acceleration, addon aircraft, any Service Packs, or Direct X.It was a known and bugged issue in FSX beta testing.It's a result of your PC running low on available resources.Happens more if flying around high FPS impacting scenery,with your sliders set too high.Root cause is usually buggy 3rd party library models,particularly those using old fs9 library model or API derived content.Just either reboot FSX,or restart your PC,but with slightly reduced slider settings.HTHATBPaul
Thank you Paul,That is good advice for anyone that flys in non-ORBX areas. I only use FTX library objects since I only fly in ORBX regions anymore. Everything else looks far too backwards and is too hard on FPS. In this case, the problem was caused by a corrupted video driver because of complications from a Nvidia download gone wrong. Everything is back to running wide open as smooth as butter at 100%, and loving every minute of it.Thank you for your concern.

Hi Folks

That is good advice for anyone that flys in non-ORBX areas.
Stephen -Its equally applicable to ORBX.
I only use FTX library objects since I only fly in ORBX regions anymore.
The ORBX Object Libraries package contains FS9 content.
In this case, the problem was caused by a corrupted video driver because of complications from a Nvidia download gone wrong.
Nope unrelated to your FSX issues,as the GPS healed themselves on reloading after switching GPS types.You'll also have rebooted post installing the drivers.As previously -
It was a known and bugged issue in FSX beta testing.
I should have mentioned the bug also affected mouse-clicking of VC panels.HTHATBPaul

Hi FolksStephen -Its equally applicable to ORBX.The ORBX Object Libraries package contains FS9 content.Nope unrelated to your FSX issues,as the GPS healed themselves on reloading after switching GPS types.You'll also have rebooted post installing the drivers.As previously -I should have mentioned the bug also affected mouse-clicking of VC panels.HTHATBPaul
Sorry Paul, not so. I had deleted all the suspect library objects and replaced them, cleaned, restarted and all the rest long before I shared my difficulty here and elsewhere. It was corrupted drivers in my case. What you are talking about, that might have been someone else's problem, or yours, but it was never mine. Thank you though for bothering to even express your opinion and share things as you see it. However my problem had already been solved when I changed my drivers back long before you offered your thoughts on the problem and solutions.