Sign in to follow this  
ymh1300

Need help with FS9 and Windows 7

I installed FS9 under windows 7. Everything works perfect with the exception that sometimes I cannot get back to the simulator after leaving to the desktop.I normally hit ALT TAB and get back to the windows desktop or any program that is open.What happens is that afterwards I cannot get back to FS9, I press ALT TAB, but FS9 is not in the alternatives to choose.It is still showing as active in the small icons on the bar in the lower left corner. If I press it, it tells me that another version is running that I need to quit to open another.This is specially bothersome as sometimes I left to check a SID Map and I cannot get back to the simulation, on which I already spent 20 minutes loading and configuring planes, flightplans, programming FMC, and configure radar contact for the ATC.Does anybody knows what is wrong?Juan G Ducaud

I installed FS9 under windows 7. Everything works perfect with the exception that sometimes I cannot get back to the simulator after leaving to the desktop.I normally hit ALT TAB and get back to the windows desktop or any program that is open.What happens is that afterwards I cannot get back to FS9, I press ALT TAB, but FS9 is not in the alternatives to choose.It is still showing as active in the small icons on the bar in the lower left corner. If I press it, it tells me that another version is running that I need to quit to open another.This is specially bothersome as sometimes I left to check a SID Map and I cannot get back to the simulation, on which I already spent 20 minutes loading and configuring planes, flightplans, programming FMC, and configure radar contact for the ATC.Does anybody knows what is wrong?Juan G Ducaud
HelloThis was my experience with W7 64bit as well as other problems (flashing screens, black mouse pointer)XP64 was my solution.

I've had the same problems with FS9 on top of Win 7 / 64.To avoid the loss of the FS9 session, hit ALT <Return>, which puts FS9 into a window. then reduce it to an icon. Hope this helpsI have similar flickering problems with the GPS window and the "Plan" view of the MFD and the black mouse pointer. The pointer is an irritant, but the flickering displays drive me crazy. Does it have something to do with how FS9 generates these displays?

Try this:Right click the icon for FS9; select properties/compatability and tick the boxes for "Disable visual themes" and "Disable desktop composition".If you use ATI cards and have the CCC, uninstall it and download a fresh copy and install that.This worked for me.

Peter Schluter

I got the annoying flickering problem too when I installed Win 7, when running the Maddog MD-80.I added "PanelAsTexture=0" in the fs9.cfg and the flickering was gone. But that made the FPS lower and unstable.But, what works perfect for me is adding this in the Windows Registry:for win 7 32-BIT:---------------------------------------------------------------Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D]"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:00000001---------------------------------------------------------------for win 7 64-BIT:---------------------------------------------------------------Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D]"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:00000001---------------------------------------------------------------So now the flickering is completely gone.

I have that problem with FSX but not FS9. With FSX I use the taskmanager which can bring back FSX again.

I got the annoying flickering problem too when I installed Win 7, when running the Maddog MD-80.I added "PanelAsTexture=0" in the fs9.cfg and the flickering was gone. But that made the FPS lower and unstable.But, what works perfect for me is adding this in the Windows Registry:for win 7 32-BIT:---------------------------------------------------------------Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D]"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:00000001---------------------------------------------------------------for win 7 64-BIT:---------------------------------------------------------------Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D]"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:00000001---------------------------------------------------------------So now the flickering is completely gone.
How do you know to make these modifications ? Most of us don't have a clue. :( Jack

How do you know to make these modifications ? Most of us don't have a clue. :( Jack
EXAMPLE FOR WINDOWS 7 64-BIT:1) Start Notepad and paste this text into the document:Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Direct3D]"DisableThreadedDDI"=dword:000000012) Then save the file as a *.reg , where * is any word.3) Double click your created file and choose YES when it asks you if you want to add it to the windows registry.4) Reboot computerThat's all, hope it works for you as well.

Guest JollyRoger
EXAMPLE FOR WINDOWS 7 64-BIT
Hi Hardell :(Thanks for the great hint. Gotta try that one out.Just wondering: In case the REG-mod doesn't work for me... do you got the code to undo / remove it from the registry?Many thanks!

If you're running FS9 fullscreen and would like to go elsewhere, press the Windows Start key on your keyboard, don't use Alt Tab. The Windows Start key will show the Start menu and force FS9 to minimize. If you then want to go back to FS9, simply click on its Taskbar icon.As for a black cursor in fullscreen FS9. In fullscreen FS9, right-click somewhere (non-panel area), a right-click menu will show and perhaps you will see your desktop briefly as well, don't be alarmed, simply move your mouse away from the menu, then left-click somewhere (non-panel area). Your cursor should now be restored to normal and any visual anomalies with FS9 should be gone.In addition to that I only use Disable desktop composition and I don't have any problems. In fact, FS9 is more stable in Windows 7 than in XP, especially when switching between fullscreen and windowed mode. In XP going back to fullscreen would sometimes only show a black screen with hardly any way to recover, I have yet to experience that in 7.FYI, I'm using 7, 32-bit.

Mike...

Hi Hardell :( Thanks for the great hint. Gotta try that one out.Just wondering: In case the REG-mod doesn't work for me... do you got the code to undo / remove it from the registry?Many thanks!
Hi,No, I don't have any code to remove it from the registry. I have found that this REG-mod reduces the FPS significantly in some areas. In an area with lots of 3d buildings the FPS went from 60 to under 30 when adding this to the registry.